My silver quarter experiment.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinJockey73, Mar 24, 2021.

1. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

I'm very new here, and I'm thinking that ppl are reacting with incredulity because of how much stuff i find.
    Little background. I live in a melting pot neighborhood in the north east. As a caucasian male, my age, i am the minority. Mostly Latin ppl , black ppl, and couple of white ppl sprinkled in, lol. I luv my town, and i luv my town's people, but I'm thinking they don't know about old silver being in circulation.
    I decided to experiment this morning. I bought 6 cups of coffee in 6 different bodegas (i didn't drink them all, but they were the cheapest thing i could think of) and paid in change. I let the change drop on the counter though, not hand it to them, so it could be heard. I had this Barber quarter mixed in with the change,
    20210324_102215.jpg
    20210324_102154.jpg
    and not a single register attendant accepted it. They all said it was fake, lol. I apologized, oops! so sorry! and repocketed it.
    I'm thinking when people who don't know, find something silver, it looks fake and sounds fake, so i better get rid if it as fast as i can, let's see if this vending machine takes it, done.

I'll be trying my friends in their black owned businesses tomorrow.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Except most vending machines probably won't take it, either -- it's the wrong weight and electromagnetic signature. (Although, worn as that one is, it just might register as a clad quarter...)

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to ask all bodega owners to put aside all those "counterfeit" coins for you.

5. CoinJockey73

Ooooo, that's a good one. Thank you for the idea.

6. CoinJockey73

That may be so, but i pull silver almost every day, so these machines are definitely accepting and keeping them. Thanks for the info though.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Okay, if you're actually getting to go through change accepted by vending machines, your experience certainly trumps my suppositions!

I've seen CoinStar machines, and I think self-checkouts, reject silver; it could be that some (most?) vending machines are less particular, and will accept anything that's non-magnetic and about the right size and weight. I don't often use vending machines myself, and haven't been tempted to risk silver at face value to test them.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  8. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

roosevelts for the most part go, mercs and anything earlier won't. can't speak for quarters

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  9. CoinJockey73

I can certainly attest to them being accepted into some vending machines. That's winged liberty dimes, standing liberty quarters, that 1901 nickel i found. I post my findings daily (you lucky devils!).

10. $ignofthedollar

$ignofthedollar Well-Known Member

You should see some of the looks and comments I get when I try and pay with a IKE dollar!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    manny9655 and CoinJockey73 like this.
  11. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Me too with JFK halves.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  12. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

2 dollar bills get a reaction too. Especially when you're young like me. Usually they are like "oh this is rare why don't you keep it" or other things like "we don't accept them"

CoinJockey73 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted