My Silver Proof American Eagle Collection - In order by date. Starting 1986

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dearborn, Sep 17, 2021.

1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Can you refresh my memory? What's the difference between these two:

2017 S Ltd edition Proof, and,
    2017 S Proof

Dearborn likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Nice collection!

Do you have all the special versions too?

Like the V75s and reverse proofs and stuff?

Dearborn likes this.
  4. Dearborn

Dearborn Above average collector - Is that an Error?

Probably nothing. I think I took 2 sets of photographs of the same coin for some reason. I'll get back to you when I get back home and see what I did there. I do know that the '2017-S' only came in 2 sets the ltd and the congrats sets.

I see you quoted from my first message, so I think you would have seen by now that I actually do have all the special editions as well. I'm going in order by date, but did need it up a bit with the 2012's and 13's.
    I think that next installment will include my V75's (I have 2 of them).

UncleScroge and MaryK like this.
  5. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

You may want to consider holding off on your next installment until you receive your 2021 Reverse Proof Two-Coin Designer Set. They should be arriving any day now.

Dearborn likes this.
  6. Gam3rBlake

Mine said it shipped the 21st and I got a tracking number for it and everything.

But when I check it today - 2 days after receiving the "Your order has shipped" email...I get this.

lame1.jpg

I called them this morning and what answer did they give me?

"Give it a couple days and if it still hasn't shipped we will issue you a refund".

As if that makes anything better considering I'd have to pay double to get the exact same coin on the secondary market even though I woke up early and spent an hour dealing with the US Mint's website crashing so I could place an order.

Dearborn and UncleScroge like this.
  7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

The shipment might have been sent using Smartpost. This is when UPS receives the package and transfers it to USPS for final delivery. USPS actually does the delivery so they handle the tracking. Since they haven't received the package from UPS yet their tracking shows it as a Pre Shipment.

Just one possible explanation. I know its happened to me before.

Dearborn, UncleScroge and Gam3rBlake like this.
  8. Gam3rBlake

Ohhhh I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know! Because I was getting really nervous (and frustrated) to think that I might not get it when I spent all that time trying to place my order. Especially considering the Mint is selling thousands of them in bulk to "authorized dealers". They should make sure every individual who orders one gets it before they start sending them out to dealers.

Hopefully that's what happened! I'll keep an eye on it though and I'll be thrilled when I see USPS has it.

Dearborn and masterswimmer like this.
  9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Great looking set! :D btw, did you buy the 1995-W American Eagle set?

30046-702942.jpg

Penny Luster and Dearborn like this.
  10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I'm probably off topic, although it is about ASEs.
    All went well when I bought the ASE set. It went straight through and I got an invoice. My VISA was charged and put in PENDING and the next day it was out. It has been "Processing since the 13th. Have I been kicked out?

Dearborn likes this.
  11. Gam3rBlake

Is the charge still showing on your card statement? Or did it show when you first purchased and then disappear after a few days on hold?

Usually the charge doesn't actually post until the Mint ships it out. If it takes them several days (or weeks) to ship the purchase the original charge will disappear and then reappear after its shipped.

Dearborn likes this.
  12. Jim Dale

Thanks for showing all of your ASEs and ASE sets. I didn't start collecting until after my father died and my brother and I split his coin collection, as it was. He had 6 1988 ASEs of which I got 3. He had put them in some cheap plastic holders and I have switched them to a better grade of holder. I'm a sucker for the Mint's ASEs in every type of issue.
    I got an email from NGC and they were advertising TYPE 2 ASE's. There were four of them and they had been graded MS70 and the first was about $170 or so, and the more information that is on the label, it goes up $50 - $100. With a signature, it sells for $369 I believe. I am sure that most of the stuff on the label doesn't mean much to most coin collectors, but people like my father like "shiny" things. I was luck this year. I got 2 ASEs Type 1, 4 Type 2, 2 ASE-S, and 2 ASE Uncirculated. I am going to miss getting the ASE set if my order has been dumped.
    Oh well, I wish the best to those that got them.

Dearborn and UncleScroge like this.
  13. Jim Dale

It showed up the day after it showed I had it, and then disappeared the next day. I did get a "Order Acknowledgement" and an "Order Summary". I had this back when I got the gold dime. I think they were checking to make sure all order were taken care of and those that were cancelled, were given to us in order of the date of our order. Who knows what they do?
    Anyway, your entry made me feel a little optimistic. Maybe I will get one. Who Knows?
    My order for the Centennial Morgans (D) (S) are in "Backorder". I think they are going to list them when they are ready to ship.

Dearborn likes this.
  14. Dearborn

I get that all the time from folks I buy from that use USPS even eBay - The postal service does that to keep a record of packages. Soon you sill see a notice that it received it and is on the way.

As a matter of fact, I did get one. (have all the sets the Mint has sold so far - just waiting the the new 2-coin set)
    1995-W ASE-AGE set.jpg

Vess1, NSP, fretboard and 3 others like this.
  15. Dearborn

This is an older picture of my ASE/AGE sets still in OGP's.
    Since this picture, I have added the rest of the LESPS's (from 2012 to 2016) and all the 2021 ASE/AGE sets.
    My eagle collection still in boxes.jpg

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

This is a mighty fine collection!

Dearborn likes this.
  17. Dearborn

Next set:
    2018-S Proof, 2018-W Proof, 2019-S Proof, 2019-W Proof, 2019-S Enhanced Rev Proof, 2019-W Rev Proof, 2019-W Uncirc, 2020-S Proof.
    (18 more to follow......)
    2018-S - 2020-S ASE Silver Proof-tile.jpg

NSP, CygnusCC, Rassi and 3 others like this.
  18. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That's great! :D You have the most extensive collection of proofs I've ever come across anywhere, very nice! wow.gif

Dearborn and MaryK like this.
  19. TheTodd

TheTodd Member

Your collection looks great !!

Dearborn likes this.
  20. Jim Dale

I wonder how many of our married collectors sit down with our wives to discuss our plans and budget for coin collecting?
    I didn't until this year. We are both in our seventies and we get Social Security and a retirement pension from the state. With the price increases of everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) some people are not as lucky as we are. We set a budget of $200 a month, and if there is something special that would bust our budget, we would sit down and discuss it and the effect the purchase might effect our life style. There are some months that there is nothing that I want or need to complete or add to a specific item, i.e., American Silver Eagles. However, no matter what the cost, ASEs are a must have for my collection of them. Sometimes, something comes up that I was not able to get from the MINT because of the item being sold out in 2.13 minutes, so I have to got to a secondary market and pay $400 for a Special ASE. Boy, does SHE get mad when it is sold out and I have to go back to the Budget Committee, i.e., my wife and me.
    I am just curious how many of the collectors, 1-Make enough money to buy the things we want, and 2 - Is the coin that important for my collection? Most of the time, the Budget Committee agrees that I need to buy that coin or set, however, caveat emptor, the Budget Committee determines that I should buy the coin, but the overage will have to be taken from future budget amounts.
    I wonder how many of us would get the item and forgo future purchases until the overage is made up.
    Best of luck to you, my friends. May the Force be with you!

dlts, Dearborn, MaryK and 1 other person like this.
  21. Dearborn

Thanks! Now while I have all (so far) proof ASE's I also have a few of the burnished and uncirculated ASE's Mostly because they were with the 'set' I bought (i.e.. 2011 ASE 5 coin set). And I plan on getting all of them as well as the bullion (no mint mark) ASE to boot.

NSP, Penny Luster and fretboard like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted