My set of 20th/21st Century Blanks & Planchets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Feb 23, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I was never into errors either as a toddler, nor when I started getting back into collecting again 30 years later. However, for reasons I can't explain, I like unstruck blanks & planchets. I have a 90% ASE on the way as well as a nice Large Cent Copper and type 2 steel cent. Special thanks to honest men and expert dealers, like Fred Weinberg and John Sullivan, for helping me get started and taking the time to chat on the phone. Also to David Setree and Paddyman98 for their advice and time to help me.

Here they are: Type 1 (no upset rim) on top and Type 2 (with rim) on the bottom.

Pennies: Coper types 1 & 2; Steel type 1; Unplated copper types 1 & 2; Zinc-plated copper type 2 (I was told there are zero known type 1s).
    0223181258_HDR.jpg

Nickel: Types 1 & 2 (a silver one hopefully added some day...)
    0223181300_HDR.jpg

Dimes: Clad, types 1 & 2; 90% silver, type 2
    0223181303_HDR.jpg

Quarters (clad): Types 1 & 2
    0223181304_HDR.jpg

Kennedy Halves: Clad, types 1 & 2; 90% silver, type 2
    0223181307_HDR.jpg

Eisenhower $1: Clad, types 1& 2
    0223181311a_HDR.jpg

Susan B. Anthony $1 (clad): Types 1 and 2 (no silver minted for this issue except for stamped errors)
    0223181308_HDR.jpg

Sacagawea/Presidential $1 (clad only): Types 1 & 2
    0223181312_HDR.jpg

That's it so far. More to come in the next few weeks. I don't collect proofs so they won't be a part of it...(...yet?)

I also learned there is actually a 40% silver quarter blank/planchet as that is the makeup of the bicentennial quarter.....ugh...as if the silver-alloy war nickel won't be hard enough to find!

Hope you all enjoyed this!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Mr. Flute, mikenoodle, NSP and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Nice, but nickels are not clad.

4. JCro57

Thanks...editing as we speak...

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

"It's turtles, all the way down."

6. JCro57

I don't follow the reference...

7. V. Kurt Bellman

The details are kinda soft, huh? :troll:

C-B-D likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

9. JCro57

Ok, Mr. Bellman. I am going to guess "turtles all the way down" means that just when I think I am making headway into my collection of these, I learn there are even more variations the farther I get into it where it seems too many endless possibilities? That's what I get from that article.

As for your your "soft on the details comment", again, I dont know what exactly you are refering to. I swear I am an intelligent person, but sometimes I don't get the esoteric or cryptic references or comments from some. I read often. I probably spend 2 hours a day reading old posts on here. But I feel like a special ed student sometimes on this forum as I am always asking people to explain themselves.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

The second one is a joke. Unstruck coins have no design details - the ultimate "soft strike". "Turtles all the way down" is a play on the solid alloy used for nickels - it's 75/25 Cu/Ni "all the way down", no cladding.

Don't feel bad. I realize I'm the one hangin' out here where the ceiling gets low on the bell curve.

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It was great to share what I could. I could of given you a bit more information but I have been working a lot and dealing with some personal issues. Great collection you have there!

I don't remember if I showed you this Type 2 Sacagawea/Presidential Planchet I submitted to NGC.. It's a Double Mint Error! :woot:
    bubble1.JPG bubble2.JPG bubble3.jpg

12. JCro57

I gotcha. Sometimes I am waaaay too literal and I don't take the time to look for a joke. I actually enjoy your sense of humor and to ne honest, the hardest I laughed is when you said some time back that someone's blank copper penny was really an incredibly rare unstamped 1943 copper cent. Good stuff.

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. JCro57

Nice! I have heard conflicting info about one thing, however. The 2000 Sacagawea dollar is sometimes listed as a stand-alone planchet/blank, unlike the other Sac/Pres dollars. I tried to find an explanation. Is there a difference?

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

What a cool, but incredibly odd collection! I like it, and I think your interpretation of 'Turtles all the way down' (an infinite number of variations, or a collection that has no end), will be proven the correct interpretation! Good luck with it.

Mr. Flute and JCro57 like this.
  15. paddyman98

You need to think of it this way.. When the 2000 Sacagawea was released into circulation some Blank Planchets could of been found at that time. Let's say someone submitted it to a TPG in 2001 to be attributed and slabbed then that would be known as stand alone item.
    Does that make any sense?

See the label on my NGC slab? 2000-2017
    I submitted it early 2017 so they noted that it could be from anytime between those years.

JCro57 likes this.
  16. paddyman98

What is that.. never heard of it? Maybe you misunderstood.

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Now that is a cool idea for a set. Some really neat stuff!

JCro57 likes this.
  18. JCro57

I meant what the penny is now; copper-plated zinc

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  19. JCro57

Yes. Perfect sense.

20. JCro57

Anyone ever seen or heard of a blank or planchet proof cent? Either poat or pre 1982?

21. V. Kurt Bellman

To my understanding, such things do exist, but detecting one might be tricky. All post-1982 proof cent blanks (keeping the unique 2009 situation aside) have TWICE the copper plating as circulation strikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted