My secret to taking such excellent pictures.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tomfiggy, Sep 28, 2015.

1. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Haha sometimes people say I take nice pictures. I have the cheapest possible set up. I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other so a magnifier is of little use to me. :)
    I bought this USB microscope for $44.00 online over a year ago. It came with an adjustable tripod that was utter crap. You could tighten it up but it would start to droop and I could never get it straight so the camera was looking straight down. The other problem was I could not turn off the LED's so a harsh bright light came out. I couldn't get good pics of shiny coins. Also the room or outside light would always change and I could never get consistent results.
    I made a translucent washer from the inside top of a prescription bottle and some scotch tape to push up into the barrel of the microscope. It diffuses the bright light from the LED's and softens it. I can take pics of shiny coins with the filter in place. I also had a set of cheap plastic "loupes" from Harbor Freight. On a whim I popped the lens out of one and my microscope barrel fits into the top with the diffuser or without it.. Now I can get it level. I set the loupe over the coin and set the microscope on top. Now very little light from the outside gets into the pic. I control the light on the micro level now so I don't need external lamps, diffusers, etc.... For very close up shots I set the microscope on the coin without the loupe. 84dbestdate.jpg IMG_1427.JPG IMG_1429.JPG IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1431.JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    jackhd, phankins11, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Now that's a real Rube Goldberg

tomfiggy likes this.
  4. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Great idea for defusing the light, will give that a try.

tomfiggy likes this.
  5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

NASA needs you...

Another source of diffusing material, cut a 4 x 4 chunk out of the side of a translucent plastic milk or water jug, then trim to fit. If one layer's insufficient, simply make another, it's very thin but sturdy plastic.

phankins11 and tomfiggy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted