My Second Bee and First Stag

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collecting Nut, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I got a double on this one. A bee and a stag. Pics are not the best.

Ionia Ephesus
    Imperial Times was given to me as part of the description. I have no idea what that means. The planchet is split twice but small. The person I bought this from has rare on the label. Is it rare?
    IMG_2910.JPG IMG_2911.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have no bees, but I do have a 'stag"
    5191cac7b6272bf7988bb16405f31958.jpg

4. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Congrats on your bee and stag! Here's mine that has both of those from the same place.
    CollageMaker_20181206_205519641.jpg

5. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Congrats

Is there any way you can get some focus on those coins so we can see them better? Are you using your phone? If so, what kind of phone?

Collecting Nut and TIF like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I may be fooled by the fuzziness but I think this is a more special coin than just any Ephesis bee/stag. Work on taking pictures that are sharp and we will see.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, those are some of the fuzziest images I've seen here on CT o_O.

Doug is right though-- it's not your typical Ephesus coin. In fact, it isn't even a coin. It's a token, a tessera-- and it is pretty interesting!

Please try to take focused pictures of your tessera-- it looks very nice and we'd love to see it in all its glory. If you're using a cell phone, if it has a macro setting use that. If not, just make sure you are far enough away from the coin to allow the camera to focus. Eliminate motion by placing your phone atop an overturned tumbler or water glass. Usually that's about the right height. Make sure there's some light shining on the coin. Touch the screen to focus on the coin and take the picture. Also, measure the diameter and weight.

Here's an attempt to lighten your images and bring out details. It was enough to confirm the attribution but not enough to really appreciate the coin:

CT-CollectingNut-EphesusTessera.jpg

I have one of them too:

[​IMG]IONIA, Ephesus. Anoynmous
    c. CE 1st century
    Æ tessera, 19mm, 5.14 g
    Obv: CKωΠI, stage kneeling left, head right; E to left, Φ to right
    Rev: KHPIΛICωΔEΠPOCΠAΛVPIN surrounding a bee
    Ref: SNG Copenhagen 355; BMC 186; SNG von Aulock 1875

You can read more about it here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-magical-tessera.277808/

:)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It might help to know the make and model of your phone just in case someone here is using the same one. None of us (I hope) have made a study of the hundreds of phones but this information might allow someone here to tell you how to make usable (not good) photos. The internet is making the ability to produce coin images of reasonable quality a very useful skill. In the old days we went to a coin club meeting or local coin store but today we use images from scanners, phones or (preferably) cameras to produce digital images that can connect us to helpers halfway around the world in no time. While this is great, there is a down side. Those who do not learn to make images are a bit cut off from the good features but also might be considered less than serious by people who see the lack as a sign the question is not serious. Some of us choose to use the images provided by the seller of coins we buy online but those that do not come with photos benefit from some form of image. I am not suggesting everyone go out and buy a thousand dollars wort of equipment but, these days, many (most?) of us have some way of producing an image good enough for the purpose and just need to learn how to use it.

That token really deserves a good image. I hope you will work on it.

9. Collecting Nut

Better pics I hope IMG_2931.JPG IMG_2933.JPG

Johndakerftw, panzerman and Bing like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Bee ; Stag ; Bee & Stags .,.

upload_2019-1-14_5-1-34.jpeg
    Iona-Ephesos AR Hemi-Drachm-TriObol Bee - Incuse Sq TIMESIANAX 335-320 BCE Seaby 4368

upload_2019-1-14_5-2-48.jpeg
    RI Prv Lydia Hierocaesarea 54-59 CE Capito under Nero Artemis killing STAG RPC 1 2391-2 fin

upload_2019-1-14_4-58-57.jpeg
    Iona-Ephesos AR Obol Bee - opposing stag heads 340 BCE Seaby

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The image is better but still not sharp and still contains 90% background and 10% coin. Now we can tell it is the token as suspected and it is in better than average shape save a bit of surface roughness. We are still short of appreciating beauty. I hope you read the lik TIF provided. If you did, you saw the bottom line:
    As a goal I suggest we try to avoid giving TIF a headache to require this treatment. :rolleyes:

panzerman, TIF and Collecting Nut like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

@dougsmit Yes I did read that. I found it fascinating! With what I posted and learning that one is a counterfeit and another a nice token, it was worth the price for all of them, which I consider a low price, especially for the knowledge.

13. panzerman

I guess I got a good excuse, I DO NOT have a phone/ just the old fashioned home version of a Bell model mounted on wall. Joking aside, i have a cheap digital (Canon) camera, it takes great photos....cost $100 Can$. 34c6e5717c57936642d329c1ea68299f.jpg ee46ebed17c6d333b5eee5b399229254.jpg 230aff649db7baea193119e59339fb84.jpg IMG_0503.JPG

Johndakerftw and Collecting Nut like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

How old is your Rottweiler now and how old was he/she in that picture?

panzerman likes this.
  15. panzerman

He was 4 months in that photo:)
    Now he is a teenager...22 months old. But he is a well behaved teenager! Very gentle, docile and loves everyone.
    My girl, Duchess ate only fine cuisine ie: table food. Her fav. roast beef/gravy/ creamed mashed potatoes. She went to heaven at a ripe old age of 17years, not bad for a spoiled rotten Rottie!
    I am just about to take Thor for his 10 km. walk, its -22 cel. with widchill:(

16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What's his name? Do you have other Rotties?

panzerman likes this.
  17. panzerman

His name is "Thor", my second Rottie with that God's name. I have a Boxer named "Loki" also, he is 12. IMG_0407.JPG

Alegandron and Johndakerftw like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

I tried to crop with my cell so hope it turns out. IMG_2931.JPG IMG_2933.JPG

19. Collecting Nut

Hey, it worked but still blurry. As you can see my stag was tired and decided to lay down for a spell.

Draft saved Draft deleted