My sad story

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrgooch, May 3, 2014.

1. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

1916SLQ.jpg In 1983 I purchased a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter from an owner in Coin World ,it was not slabbed as that was new then. I paid $2000. It came with a photo indicating it was MS60. It was a beautiful coin. I decided to send it in to be slabbed. Back then you had to have an authorized coin dealer to send it in for you,you paid him a fee. I was contacted by mail that it would not be graded because it was cleaned. I was very unhappy with that,so much so that I accepted an offer from that dealer for $1800. Selling the coin was the worst mistake I ever made. It was my most favorite coin I ever owned.

Kentucky and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

Just like when I sold my '83cc that I bought with my dad in Colorado. I sold it for lotr blu ray set since at the time I wasn't actively collecting and the way it was slabbed it didn't fit into my collection well. I'll never forget that and am still looking for a special one to replace it.

4. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

Yes, I love those too. I have an PCGS MS63 1917-D type 1 with a CAC sticker. I paid $495 for it and do not regret it one bit.

image.jpg image.jpg

JPeace$, mrgooch and geekpryde like this.
  5. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

Back in the mid 1980's I purchased an MS-65 Isabella quarter from Helen Carmody, a dealer who specialized in commemorative halves. It had a dark yet colorful and appealing patina that was quite unmistakable. I sold it a few years later along with the rest of my collection. A five or six years ago as I was flipping through the pages of my Numismatist magazine I came upon a page which had a large photo of the Isabella quarter I had owned. It had recently sold at auction as a PR-65 for $10,000.00. Helen did not realize that the quarter was actually a proof and not a business strike. I, too, was unaware of that. The guy I sold it to sold it to an investor to add to his IRA. Neither of them probably realized it was a proof until it came back from the grading service before being put up for auction.

6. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

7. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

That's why you need to know your coin before you part with it. Last year a dear friend got two ms 1944 D/S cent from a dealers bargain bin for $2 each. Dealer thought he was selling unc 44 cents, I guess.

Buyers should inquire, Sellers should know.

Draft saved Draft deleted