My Russian Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by LakeEffect, Jun 9, 2021.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Old timers, like me, remember when the internet was new. In the mid-1990's, it was all text - there were no graphics - and the world wide web didn't really exist yet. Using my 300 baud modem, I would call the local FreeNET server at my old university to connect. I especially enjoyed the usenet discussion groups. They were the precursors to forums like CoinTalk but without any pictures, or anything else besides text. It was fascinating to me that I could discuss topics of interest with others around the globe and learn new stuff in my living room. One of the many groups I frequented was alt.fan.frank-zappa. I'm a fan of his music, especially the late 60's and early 70's stuff which I think is his best and most musical.

It turns out a lot of western music isn't (or wasn't) readily available outside of North America, Europe, and maybe Australia. So it happened that a member from Russia asked me if I could tape a few albums for him and send him the cassettes. Of course I could. He asked if there was anything he could offer in return. I told him I was a coin collector and didn't have any Russian coins. He said he worked in the local bank and could send me a few. This was 1994 and I kept them in the makeshift mailer he made. Yes, they're worthless as collectibles but a neat memory.
    Cardboard_Full.jpg

Seascape, Chris B, sonlarson and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LakeEffect

4. LakeEffect

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

A cool reminder of the early days of the internet.
    And an interesting exchange!

6. Antonius Britannia

Antonius Britannia Well-Known Member

7. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

Ahh the days before being anti social . . .

That is a nice snag w a story . Enjoy seeing and reading such .

Stamp(s) look cool w the post rubber mark on it too

LakeEffect likes this.
  8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Great story . . . and bonus points for the Zappa reference!

LakeEffect likes this.
  9. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

That's an awesome story, and I love his homemade coin board!

LakeEffect likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted