My Russian Banknotes, 1898 - 1922

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bobbeth87, Jun 13, 2012.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Background: My step-mother is from Russia and migrated to America as a small child during WWII. Her family brought a few coins and paper money with them. I received these and other world notes in 2009 in a big wad in a plastic bag along with some nice US notes in presentation folders. I have already posted my $1 type set that I worked on for 2+ years learning about and purchasing notes to complete that set. So, I'm now working on the rest of my book. I've taken the wadded up notes and put them in folders and decided to learn as much as I could about them for my own benefit, and to make it interesting and educational to anyone looking at my collection.

A special THANK YOU to CT member Rhino89 who provided me with tremendous help in translation and information about these notes. I am truly impressed with the quality of the Russian Imperial notes especially.

If you enjoy this chapter in my Paper Money book half as much as I enjoyed putting it together, then your time will have been well spent.

Side note, my step mother will come to visit me in a couple of months and I can't wait to show her what I've done with these.

The presentation looks like this:

[​IMG]

That is from chapter one, but it gives you an idea of how it is presented.

At some point, I will probably add to this collection as I really enjoy these notes.

NOTE: Rhino89, Siberian Man, and anyone else who is familiar with these notes, PLEASE let me now if I have any facts wrong, any typos, or if you have any suggestions of additional information I could add to what I have printed. You won't hurt my feelings, I want this to be as good as I can get it. THANKS.

Here it is. Enjoy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Sorry, my scanner didn't do very well with the darker notes and doesn't do them justice....

4. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Knowing what I do about 20th Century Russian and Soviet history, it was a true pleasure to see the notes that accompanied the period in its tumultuous history. Thanks so much for posting this.

5. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

You're welcome Dr. Kegg. I learned a lot of Russian history puting this display together. It is great how numismatics can bring history right into your hands. I wouldn't have done this research if I did not have these notes.

:)

6. Vyck

Vyck New Member

Very interesting! I have some banknotes from your collection.

7. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Bob, excellent writeups, glad to see you added more info and refined some of my wording. I'm sure your step-mother will love it, and it's a great project to leave behind for others. Thanks for the shout-out, too :thumb:

8. chip

chip Novice collector

Good job, I enjoyed the presentation, and I am sure your family will also.

9. m60gpmg

m60gpmg Member

Nice collection. Thanks for sharing.

10. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Wonderful presentation! I think I like the Russo-Asiatic Bank the best, but I'm partial to old locomotives. :)

11. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Thanks. And yes, I really like that note as well. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted