My recent dealings with teletrade.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, May 15, 2012.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Had you not shared this and simply let it roll, this could have been interesting since we all know he took the "ultra rare" comment literally. There is no helping this kid, so might as well let the pieces fall where they may. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? I know full well there isn't any rarity to it. Do you think I was born yesterday?

I like it...I bought it. It's my money, and my taste.

No helping this....."kid"? I'm 20 years old, and by no means a kid. Maybe your confusing me with a goat?

By any means...if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. Welcome to my ignore list.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

He may be 20 years old, but from what I've learned about him, from him, he does need protection from himself.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't let 'em get your goat.....kid. :)

And keep buyin' what ya like.

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

All your points are well taken, absolutely correct and spot on!

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I'll post a raw 1941 to compare to the slabbed one.

I bought this raw 1941 nickel on April 28th at the Naugatuck coin show. It cost me a couple bucks which I thought was a good price.

I suspect that if given the choice between receiving my 1941 coin or the slabbed coin for $5, most would choose the slabbed one. (Of course, I chose the raw one).

Attached Files:

8. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

"Kid" is a relative term. Less derogatory than "child". For the record, my youngest son is 20. So yep, in my book, you're still a "kid" :D

With that said, you did good. Nice looking coins at a decent price. If you like them, and you're happy with the price, good for you. You may have read some of my other posts regarding your grasp of the bidding process, but in this case I will say, you seem be getting a better understanding of the system, and that education is way better than any deals you got.

9. pnightingale

pnightingale Member

What the...?

A collector shares some of his recent acquisitions, of which he is clearly proud and for two pages he is pillioried for no reason whatever.

I understand there may be some "history" here between several members but what on earth did this young man do in this post to deserve such outright disrespect? I was 20 years old myself once and yeah, I said and did a lot of really dumb things (still do actually, but that's beside the point). I'm sure I'm not the only one here who sometimes has a flashback and draws in a harsh embarrased breath through my teeth?

By all means, name and shame the scammers, ridicule the purveyors of 1777 Hong Kong Continental Dollars, name the importers of Chinese fakes, but does this particular thread really deserve such uncivilty and animosity? Maybe I'm just old fashioned, over tired and over sensitive, in which case please accept my apologies, but I can't help but wonder what impression this gives to the casual reader or new collector looking for a place to learn more about coin collecting.

10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

everytime detecto starts a thread you have to chime in with some smart *** comment and make fun of the guy. Your better than that and this website is better than that.

11. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Looks like you got some good deals, and as long as you're happy with them that's all that really matters. Don't let the rude comments from the peanut gallery discourage you. :thumb:

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Discuss the coins

There is a possibility that someone sent in the 1941 nickel for TPG grading because they thought it was better than MS61 or might get full steps designation. When the coin arrives, get some better pictures of the steps if you can and post them here.

For the photo, use macro & get as close to the coin as the camera will focus. Use much light & turn off the flash. Have the camera held steady by using a tripod or leaning your hand against something stationary. If possible, set the shutter delay to a couple seconds so that you don't press the shutter release & shake the camera when it actually takes the photo. Then, crop the photo to Monticello's steps & post it.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Well, well, well.... the man who thinks it acceptable to call to a supposed Native American a "Chief" is offended when referred to as a kid. Since you have trouble using a dictionary, please allow me to assist;

"KID"
    Informal
    a. A child.
    b. A young person.

"By no means a kid"? The last I checked twenty years old was still young. Goats are willing and very quick to learn, so no.

http://www.cointalk.com/t206014/

Honestly? Sometimes.

Did I say there is anything wrong with any of the coins? No. The coins are fine and you're free to buy whatever you like just as you are free to refer to other peoples coins as "dreck", find conspiracies everywhere you look, claim all the horrible rich people have nothing better to do that outbid you on coins, or to think it the responsibility of someone else to protect you from you. Kudos to TeleTrade for not intentionally hiding the the buyer's premium from you this time. http://www.cointalk.com/t197457/

But Detecto, what would you do without me? Especially after I've given you the attention you show a deep desperate need for and so clearly desire. Que sera sera....

14. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

And that is why you typically don't see $5 coins on heritage or teletrade. I am not saying they are not there. I have seen some not get a bid because of those costs. At the same time on heritage or teletrade winning multiple lots allow you to spread the shipping across multiple lots.

As to the original posts - show patience in waiting for invoices. On heritage I usually do not check until the next morning. Other than that - nice batch of coins. Enjoy!

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

My only contribution to this thread is this:

When I started collecting, I thought I knew it all.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.

Early on, I didn't know what I didn't know.

Detecto, I think those coins are nice and your price paid fair. Good luck...Mike

16. dannic113

dannic113 Member

You are correct sir I was reading the $5 min. on seller fees not the buyer fees. So the actual cost is even worse than the $17 and pushes it to the $14 plus almost $6 shipping. I still stand firm that it drives the actual cost up quite a bit unless you are dealing with coins you just can't get anywhere else and you get them for a nice price.

17. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

With all due respect, Detecto, 20 years old is a kid to many of us. I have grandchildren that age.

18. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

+1

I have nieces and nephews who are 20 somethings :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted