My Quick Trip To Baltimore

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Mar 31, 2022.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Today was my last day in uniform in the Navy after almost 20 years. Tomorrow, I start terminal leave until my official retirement date of 30 June. What better way to celebrate than to go to the Baltimore Whitman Coin Show amirite???

Since it is a school day the kiddos couldn't accompany me which was a bit of a bummer but overall it wasn't too bad because there wasn't a lot there that they would've had fun looking through. Almost no world bins and only 2 tables that had ancients in my price range that you could look through.

The first table that had out in the open coins I could look at (and afford) was Tiber Numismatics. The gentleman behind the table was really friendly and just loved talking history. He was with another guy who was astounded that you could get a coin of Alexander III for just $20. He also pulled out a coin that was counterstamped by Cleopatra VII though I didn't get a good look at it. I perused the provincials and Greeks and picked out 3 coins. 1 provincial of Caracalla, a Seleucid bottle cap coin (my first), and a Greek that I "think" may be from Rhodes. $50 well spent. The man offered to ID them for me but I told him that was ok and that it was half the fun!

I wandered around the rest of the tables and looked at all the really pretty really expensive coins before making may way to the table of my LCS who had a couple of boxes of ancients last show that I pulled a nice Judea Capta of Titus from for $5.

He had the same 2 boxes and I went through them and pulled out a few more interesting coins. Nothing spectacular. I came away with 7 coins from him for the princely sum of $25.

All totaled, I spent $75 on 10 coins, or $7.50/coin. I think I did alright :) Heck, I even managed to sell some extra West Point quarters I had so I ended up making money on the trip :)

Here's the part you guys really want to see, the coins:

20220331_140428.jpg 20220331_140514.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I wish I would have been man enough to keep my uniform on for twenty years.... And kudos on the nice pick-ups!

Inspector43 and furryfrog02 like this.
  4. furryfrog02

I don't know about "man enough". More like stubborn. :p

I was looking for a $5 Indian. Thought maybe it would be a nice present to myself...The cheapest I could find was $650 and it had a big ole' scratch on it. Nope.

5. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Nice! I like the Seleucid! I believe the one to the left of it is from Larissa, Thessaly, not Rhodes (if it is a horse I «see» on rev.)

ominus1 and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. furryfrog02

It is a horse. Or a pegasus. I didn't look real hard at it. I got it for my daughter since she loves horses. Thanks for the help. It will narrow it down for us!

Roman Collector, ominus1 and svessien like this.
  7. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Nice pickups, Congrats on 20 and Thank YOU for your service :D

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Thank you for your service. Sounds like you have fun at the coin show.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds like you had a good time and did great at the show. It’s close enough for me but I can’t do the walking at the moment.

Thank you for your service.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

It was fun. Too many slabbed coins for my taste :p
    I would've liked to spend a bit more time window shoppong but I got a call from FFIVN that he forgot his percussion set and needed it for band. Had to dash home to get it to the school for him. Good thing I don't have to work for the next few months :)

DonnaML likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Thank you for your service! Any civilian plans (beside chasing coins)?

12. furryfrog02

I have a job lined up already. Should be going back to the office I just worked in but as a contractor :) I should start in June so I have a couple of months to figure out how to be a real person.
    I joined 2 weeks after I turned 18 so I don't really know anything else. It's gonna be different. That's for sure.
    I'd like to think it'll allow for more coin money but with 4 kids....nope lol

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm sorry to hear that there weren't many ancients dealers with budget offerings. I used to attend the Baltimore shows fairly regularly back in the day, and there was always a good selection of coins to be had at all prices. I miss Don Zauche more than anyone in that respect, may he rest in peace.

But the rent used to be a thousand bucks per table, and I can't imagine it's gone down. Unless you can sell a good number of high-priced coins at decent profits, you won't make the rent. Selling bargain coins at small profits is only viable on the internet anymore, or at small shows that only charge $100 per table.

rrdenarius, dougsmit and furryfrog02 like this.
  14. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service.20 years is a hot minute, but sounds like you must have enjoyed it!

I’ll be pinning on butter bars in 4 weeks. Can’t imagine the fortitude it would take to continue on until 2042.

DonnaML, Inspector43 and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. furryfrog02

There were ups and downs. Quite a few downs as the family grew and I had to deploy. Glad I did it but definitely wouldn't do it again haha.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  16. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service!!

Inspector43 and furryfrog02 like this.
  17. furryfrog02

There was a table for Don Zauche but there was a a woman there. I'm assuming his wife?
    I totally understand the expense of having a table there. Just a bummer for low level collectors like me who don't have much to look at. I was hoping Harlan J. Berk would have his pick bin but nope. Oh well, the one table that had affordable stuff for me was good :)

John Anthony likes this.
  18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Yes, that's his wife. I think her name is Marcella. I don't believe she's trying to keep the business going - just selling off the old stock until it's done. At least that's what she told me at Gettysburg. Maybe she's changed her mind.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  19. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your retirement and THANK YOU for your 20 years of service. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.
    Very cool pick ups from the coin show. I don't know a lot about ancients, but it looks to me like you did good!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

Most are pretty crusty but I think I can ID them for the most part. One is a Republican denarius. Who wouldn't pay $3 for a piece of 2000+ year old silver?

21. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Congratulations you Old Sea Dog! It's nice to remember that we Marines have long needed the Navy because we haven't learned how to walk on water . . . YET!

Semper Fidelis
    Go Navy! Beat Army!

Tall Paul, furryfrog02 and mrweaseluv like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted