My Quest: 1880S-1882S Morgans

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

You need to have a few though as the shipping etc makes it more Or have them reholder at a show they’re at

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Yeah I would wait til you have a handful of reholders to send at once. I'm sending in 5 this week which softens the shipping blow a lot. It's still expensive but it's also a nice excuse to add on a trueview while you're at it.

Cheapest option is to get a reholder done at a show if PCGS is stopping by one by you this year then don't have to worry about shipping

4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ran the numbers. $50 to get it done. I spent $104 on the coin. If I go to a show they are at I will do it.

5. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

You need to read what chemist Weimar White has to say about toning. Paraphrasing, he says that toning on a coin is like rust on a pipe, structural damage. That said, I personally don't mind a little toning, but a coin like the DLRC specimen is way beyond my tolerance.

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Congratulations on your opinion. I like high grade toned coins.

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I am beginning to warm up to toned coins. Purple is my favorite. A lot of toned coins I have seen lately look like they were dipped in doggy doo-doo though. Ie Brown.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ah, this sure is turning into a quest. Upon further inspection of the 79S and 81S that I won at auction they are pretty spotty. incomplete rinsing of the acid bath given to the planchet, my friend told me. Well, back to the drawing board, will start over...

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Toning is purely subjective. For example, the Northern Lights had some spectacularly toned coins, but to my eye, there were many that I didn't like too.

Do you like Lamborghini's or Ferrari's? Two super cars, but very different styling.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

So take your coins and compare them to the auction photos. One thing I like about HA is you can blow up the picture and really see some minute flaws. Learn to judge HA photos and you're quest will improve.

Morgandude11, Mainebill and Bman33 like this.
  11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, learning to judge these photos is an art in and of itself. I am going through all the coins I am tracking on HA right now looking for spots.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

You'll get good at seeing luster breaks even if the photos try to obscure them. Take your time with it. There are MS65's being sold every week. You'll find ones that make you happy.

I'm going through a little of it right now. I need "S" mint marked Peace Dollars to complete my collection. Frankly, most Peace dollars from that mint are "lacking". I search and search, but I keep finding issue with the ones I'm seeing. I want to finish the set, but I need to be patient. It's actually part of the fun of putting a collection together. Enjoy the journey!

Morgandude11 and Bman33 like this.
  13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

They’re ok. Give me a 69 Camaro ss any day

xlrcable, JPeace$ and Morgandude11 like this.
  14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Weimar White is considered a crackpot in the numismatic industry. He called toning damage so that he could push his product to remove it, a pure huckster if ever there was one.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Went Hunting for these coins at a small coin show. Couldn't find any that I liked. Shooting for 66's on at 1880 and 1882.

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Be patient. You’re looking for coins that are a cut above the rest. That means lots of looking, but sweet satisfaction once you’ve found them.

Bman33 likes this.
  17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have taken a break for a few months on my SMint Morgans. Now I am firing it up again. I am looking for an 80S and 82S. The local coin circuit might have them in my desired grade. I will be patient on these two.

18. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Check any local pawn shops. My local one has 30 or more Morgan's.

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

The pawn shops in my area are just selling garbage that you could buy cheaper at thrift stores.

20. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

My advice would be do not limit yourself to a 66 only. You can still find Fattys and Rattlers that are graded 65 that are worthy of a 66 today. When the top two were in their infancy they were very reluctant to go higher than 65 on the label. Just my two cents

ddddd and Bman33 like this.
  21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

This is the approach I have been taking. I have been working on this mini set of four coins for over a year now. I have only bought two. I am patiently waiting for the other two. I am waiting for these coins to scream out at me.

mikenoodle and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted