My Quest: 1880S-1882S Morgans

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, Jan 3, 2018.

1. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

The bolded is very important. Coins with minimal contact marks but muted dull luster may not get past 62. In images you may scratch your head at why the coin isn't 64-65 but once you get in hand you see the lack of luster holding it back. I've learned that expensive lesson with 1 coin that I stubbornly resubmitted twice and came back 62 both times (and I cracked it out of an old ANA 62 - who says TPGs aren't consistent :D ). In a GTG here most guessed 64 for it because that's what it looks like from the surfaces.

I think yours looks like a nice 65 for sure and well bought. Nice thing about Heritage is, while they charge you a lot for it, coins usually arrive pretty quick. I always have mine in hand the Monday following.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

What do you Morgan experts think of this coin?

213762A8-6798-41EA-B62A-75A3A1A5E2DB.jpeg A15E9300-8174-4691-8698-4D803404F574.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Mainebill, Santinidollar and Bman33 like this.
  4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

@mikenoodle

Nice coin. I am no expert but I'm giving it a solid 65 and if the luster is true a 66. Liberty has a distracting mark on her face near the ear but I have seen 66 CAC's more beat up.

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Old green holder pcgs. A strong 65. Should cac any day. And if for some strange reason the cAlled
    It a64 a gold bean is in order. And I’d never crack it out. The green label pcgs are my favorite holders

longshot likes this.
  6. mikenoodle

If you look at the barcode, The Coin is in a 63 holder, Bill

7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have been seeing old school holders go for a nice higher premium lately almost as if it already had a green bean.

Fooled me.

8. Mainebill

ah I didn’t. Way undergraded. A gold bean candidate. Hopefully you bought it at 63 money semi pl too but not enough for the designation

9. mikenoodle

It’s for sale in the shop where I work

10. Mainebill

A lot of the old holders people are trying for a gold bean or an upgrade on that’s why. And so many have already been tried. Not all old holder coins were undergraded. Some were over too. Or dipped out. Or just plain ugly. Buy the coin not the holder

11. mikenoodle

Sage advice sir.

So if I could get it for 63 money, I should buy it, right?

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Factor in resubmission costs and CAC costs. That should help you decide. At 65 this is a $106 coin by Grey Sheet and $120 coin retail.

13. mikenoodle

Here’s a different angle on the cheek.

618C1530-F592-492F-98EC-E8F013F19A41.jpeg 5F4FE8C6-49D3-4D4F-AD8F-82E93F6ABFB8.jpeg

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

How does it look without any magnification?

15. mikenoodle

It’s an attractive coin

16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, here is the other one I won on Wednesday. Let me know your thoughts on the Grade, agree or not.

1881S Obverse.jpg 1881S Reverse.jpg

halvessearcher likes this.
  17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sure, it’s a solid gem BU coin, but you know they’re stricter with common year Morgans? There’s no toning either, which means chances are it comes back MS64+

19. mikenoodle

But it’s in a 63 holder...

20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I know, in a very old 63 holder. So if you decide to cross it over to NGC or submit it raw, it may come back as a 64+ instead of the 65 you’re hoping for. Comprende, amigo? :)

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Remember it's an 80 S so it was graded on a curve to begin with.....those early 80's Morgan dollars were hammered...so e of the best strikes of the series.

Draft saved Draft deleted