My post on the CNG auction was deleted why ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, Jun 24, 2021.

1. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Trying to figure out what I did that was so terribly bad to have my post deleted. I guess this will be the last time I am a supporter to this Forum financially . I see no reason to support this forum with money when the moderators here can not even take the time to let you know what you did wrong. Anyone here able to enlighten me as to what happened ?

Ryro likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

I'm not a mod, but I would assume that any sort of promotional material has to be posted under one of the advertising forums (for sale, want lists, trades, auction listings). I usually post my auction listings in the dedicated thread. If you repost there, I doubt that the mods would take it down. Hope this helps!

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I'd just sent some of this in a PM but believe it worth sharing:
    To my understanding, if someone posts about an upcoming auction and or its coins, so long as they aren't the ones selling the items, they aren't in trouble.
    But if someone mentions something they are selling it's against the rules.
    We pay Coin Talk for their membership. It'd be nice if they could help us sell our coins. It's promoting the industry that is making them money from us and their sponsors (the ones we pay extra so as not to have to see everytime we log in).
    Shoot, and how many posts do folks put up way in advance of every Frank Robinson auction.
    Anyways, sorry about the rant. But I sympathize.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I think @Romancollector has the answer - self promotion should be in the sale section. If others want to post on an auction, it’s acceptable for the mods (but generally frowned upon by the forum members)

6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/coin-talk-rules.34131/

3 – Self Promotion – self promotion is not permitted on Coin Talk.

B - Posting links to personal sales sites is not permitted. A personal sales site may be defined as any web site of a business that you own, or the site of a business that you work for, or are affiliated with in any way, that offers items for sale.

7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I think the rules against self promotion make a lot of sense. Can you imagine how frustrating it would be if auction houses and dealers spammed the board so that the collector content would fall to the second page faster.

Having said that, I think there is huge value in knowing when a fellow CT member has coins up for sale. I value owning coins from known and verifiable collections. That’s part of what makes AMCC and JA’s auctions so fun. I don’t know the collection names of all the members here so it’s nice when someone drops a note that part of the [Insert name] Collection is up for sale.

@bcuda , you could always PM some of your friends on here (including me hopefully :happy:) to let them know you have coins coming up and I bet one of them would feel the need to post a notice to the forum. Just my thoughts :).

8. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Alegandron, Ryro and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted