My Phaselis Stater has come in!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I was intrigued when I first saw this coin type. I noticed that CNG included a run of a dozen or so in each of the last few e-auctions and I realized I needed to snag one before the supply dried up. I learned my lesson in the past about getting complacent that I could get certain types anytime I wanted. Even when it seems like there are a lot of examples of a type on the market, when the supply dries up, that may be it for a long time.

Phaselis has been suspected of being a punning type, in the sense that the name of the city is very similar to a Greek word for a boat, so they show the prow and stern of a ship on their coins. Others have stated that a war galley as shown on the coin is not the type of boat implied by the word "phaselus".

I think its a clever design to show the stern on one side and the prow on the other (how many other coin types use this conceit?). My photo montage shows the reverse first and then the obverse, which is technically wrong, purists hold thy noses. The Phaselians really should have struck another series of staters showing the galley's mid sections with rowers and mast. :)

These come in many variations of galley decorations and magistrate symbols. It would be interesting to know how closely the coins depicted actual war galleys.

Phaselis Stater 1b.jpg

LYCIA, Phaselis.
    AR Stater, 4th century BC, 21mm, 10.40 g, 10h.
    Obverse: Prow of galley right, fighting platform decorated with facing gorgoneion; to right, cicada upward.
    Reverse: Stern of galley left, with wreath hanging from pole mounted on the deck.
    References: Heipp-Tamer Series 6, unlisted variety; Triton XIX, lot 256 (same obv. die); CNG 100, lot 1521 (same obv. die); CNG 99, lot 280 var. (cicada downward).
    Minor die rust on obverse.

Please post your coins from Phaselis or coins with ships.

John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Ohhh I like that alot, alot.

Edit: also nice write up.

Theodosius likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

A gorgeous coin I would love to have in my collection.

Theodosius likes this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very nice! You're right,they should have done a mid section;)

Theodosius likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like that you can see both parts of the ship. Your photo shows that off well. Very cool :)

Theodosius likes this.
  7. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Anyone with Photoshop skills?

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

OK, why would anyone post this Alexander here? A century after the OP coin (this is 213/2 BC or year 6) Phaselis was producing Alexander coins complete with pudgy Herakles and a Seleucid anchor countermark. .
    g61790bb0406.jpg

9. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Wow @Theodosius. That prow is off the charts!

Clipboard4~10.jpg
    Lycia, Phaselis.
    Obv: Prow of galley right.
    Rev: Athena standing right, wielding thunderbolt and aegis.

10. I believe I may have been the under bidder on your coin.
    I've been looking for a Cicada type for a while. Until then, i may or may not have 5 without control marks incoming from heritage. My only example currently in hand:
    [​IMG]
    Lycia, Phaselis. Fourth Century BC. AR Stater. Prow of galley right, fighting platform decorated with lion at bay right; to right, owl flying upward left, wings displayed; below, dolphin right above waves / Stern of galley left; ΦAΣ above, astragalos below .
    10.48g
    21.45mm

I

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Cool... these Phaselis staters are really distinctive. A very large hoard of these must have been found. I haven't tried for one of them yet and wonder if I'll regret it when the supply is depleted.

I picked this one up recently because the oblong-shaped flan allowed for the full galley to be seen.

[​IMG]

PHOENICIA, Arados. Uncertain king.
    AR Shekel. 10.48g, 22mm. Circa 420-400 BC. E&E-A Group III.1.1, C13; HGC 10, 29. O: Laureate head of Ba’al-Arwad right. R: Galley right, Pataikos on prow, above waves; M A (in Aramaic) above.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Curtisimo, Pishpash, Bing and 6 others like this.
  12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Oh wow! Great coin!

Theodosius likes this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Guess I should have done my part and included a ship coin. None ofine are in silver, or Greek, so here's a cool Spanish:

[​IMG]
    Roman Republican, Hispania
    AE, semis, 8.6g, 23mm; 2h; Hispania, 1st century BC
    Obv.: Laureate head of Saturn right; S (mark of value) behind
    Rev.: Prow left, S (mark of value) above
    In Ex.: ROMA

14. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Superb in every way! Congrats on your win.

Theodosius likes this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

So way cool on that Coin, John! Great capture and write-up.

I have the Marc Antony galleys, plenty of Republic Prows... How about Allectus for a change?

RI Allectus 293-296 AE Quinarius London Virtus Galley AE17 2.3g S 13870 RIC 55.JPG
    RI Allectus 293-296 AE Quinarius London Virtus Galley AE17 2.3g S 13870 RIC 55

Draft saved Draft deleted