My other Aes Gravii

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Multatuli, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

Hello everybody,

I would like to share with you all of my other Aes Gravii coins. This is a topic that I think fascinating in the Ancient Numismatics, and that I only have no more of this type of coins because they are difficult to find and when they appear, usually they are not cheap.
    IMG_4580.JPG
    Aes Grave Triens (225-217 B.C.) - Rome mint, 82.7g; Libral standard. Obv: Minerva/four pellets. Rev: prow/ four pellets. Cr. 35/3a; H. pl. 16, 5; T.V. 52. 8 (ex-Jean Elsen)
    IMG_4589.JPG
    IMG_4590.JPG
    Aes Grave Quadrans (275-270 B.C.); Rome mint; Libral standard; 81.56g; Cr 14/4 (ex-Jean Elsen).
    IMG_4587.JPG
    IMG_4588.JPG
    Aes Grave Sextans (275-270 B.C.); Rome mint; Libral standard, 52.84g. Obv: Dioscuri right/two pellets Rev: Dioscuri left /two pellets. Thurlow-Vecchi 12, Cr 18/5 (ex-Jean Elsen).
    IMG_4591.JPG

Circa 225-217 BC. Æ Aes Grave Quadrans (37mm, 46.09 g, 12h). Libral standard. Rome mint. Head of Hercules left; three pellets (mark of value) to right / Prow of galley right; three pellets (mark of value) below. Crawford 35/4; Thurlow & Vecchi 54; HN Italy 340. Ex Freeman & Sear 2 (31 January 1996), lot 712 (part of). (Ex-CNG).
    IMG_4581.JPG
    Apulia, Luceria 217-212 BC. Aes Grave Biunx (25mm, 18.48 g, 9h). Reduced weight series. Scallop shell / Astralagos; two pellets (mark of value) above, L below. Thurlow-Vecchi 284; HN Italy 677d. From the L.C. Aes Grave Collection. (Ex-CNG).

IMG_4556.JPG
    IMG_4555.JPG
    Aes Grave Sextans (225-217 B.C.); Rome mint; 38.62g; Obv: Mercury/ two pellete, Rev: prow/two pellets. Cr 35/5, Syd 76 (ex-Ancient Imports)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Jwt708, Hispanicus, Nyatii and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Multatuli

And the Part II: IMG_4552.JPG
    IMG_4553.JPG
    Aes Grave Uncia (269-240 B.C.) - Obv and Rev: knucklebone without pellet. 12.82g, 23.9mm. Syd 36a, Cr 21/6, Thurlow-Vecchi 21a (ex-Ancient Imports).
    IMG_4579.JPG

Cast bronze Aes Formatum, cf. G. Fallai, IAPN 8, pl. 6, 2-2e; Alvarez-Burgos P28; Thurlow-Vecchi -; molded from bipod shell, 14.113g, 23.9mm, uncertain Osco-Latin mint, late 4th - early 3rd century B.C. (ex-Forum Ancient Coins).
    IMG_4578.JPG
    Bronze Aes Rude, SRCV I 505; Thurlow-Vecchi pl. 2, maximum length 23.5 mm, weight 22.529 g (ex-Forum Ancient Coins).
    IMG_4583.JPG
    That's all, folks!
    Thanx!

Attached Files:

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great collection, some big heavy chunks of history there. I hope to buy some one day but till then happy to look at everyone else's. Congrats on a fine collection.

Alegandron and Multatuli like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto

6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great collection. I like your hand coin. It is on my wish list. I like your shell formatum too, mine -
    DSCN0847.JPG
    I was able to find (buy) a copy of G. Fallai, IAPN 8, pl. 6, 2-2e. Unfortunately the library sent me the wrong plate pages. I do not have Alvarez-Burgos.

Jwt708, TheRed, Ajax and 10 others like this.
  7. Multatuli

Your collection is also fantastic, @rrdenarius! My wish list is a little Aes Formatum or Ramo Secco type fragment, like yours! Maybe one day...

Alegandron likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Your AES are all great @Multatuli ! This is a fascinating period in Roman and Central Italia history. Save for the Etrurians, the Central Italians had no silver to mint currencies, so Bronze / Brass / Aes was the value choice.

@rrdenarius has a great collection also.

Here are mine:

ITALIA Aes Formatum AE Bronze Ax Head ca 5th-4th C BCE sextans size 44.8mm 56g.JPG
    ITALIA Aes Formatum AE Bronze Ax Head ca 5th-4th C BCE sextans size 44.8mm 56g

Italia Aes Rude  - bronze ca 5th-4th Century BCE 29.7mm 32.4g.jpg
    Italia Aes Rude - bronze ca 5th-4th Century BCE 29.7mm 32.4g Uncia?

Oscan-Latin Aes Formatum shell 25mm 12.8g.JPG
    Oscan-Latin Aes Formatum shell 25mm 12.8g Semuncia?

Aes Formatum Oscan-Latin shell with Ribs obv-rev 4th BCE.JPG

Aes Formatum Oscan-Latin shell with Ribs obv-rev 4th BCE Semuncia?

Etruria or Umbria Aes Grave 3rd C BCE Sextans 23mm 25-15g Club-2 Dots HN 54 Vecchi-Th 172.JPG
    Etruria or Umbria Aes Grave 3rd C BCE Sextans 23mm 25-15g Club-2 Dots HN 54 Vecchi-Th 172

Andres2, Jwt708, Multatuli and 11 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

AES Continued...

Luceria AES Grave Anonymous 217-215 BCE Uncia 7-35g Frog-Corn Ear pellet retrograde L T-V 285.jpg
    Luceria AES Grave Anonymous 217-215 BCE Uncia 7.35g Frog-Corn Ear pellet retrograde L T-V 285

RR Aes Grave Uncia 269-240 BCE Astragalus knuckle-bones.JPG
    RR Aes Grave Uncia 269-240 BCE Astragalus knuckle-bones

RR AE Aes Grave Sextans 270 BCE 37mm 55.28g Dioscuri R and L.JPG
    RR AE Aes Grave Sextans 270 BCE 37mm 55.28g Dioscuri R and L

RR Aes Grave AE Quadrans Dog 3 pellets Six spoked wheel 59.8g Craw 26-6a Th-Vecchi 34.JPG
    RR Aes Grave AE Quadrans Dog 3 pellets Six spoked wheel 59.8g Craw 26/6a Th-Vecchi 34

upload_2017-8-23_17-19-14.png
    RR Aes Grave Anon 280-276 BCE Triens 46mm 90.3g 9.3mm thick Tbolt-Dolphin Rome Crawford 14/3 T Vecchi 3

Semis and As on the Target horizon! :)

Andres2, Jwt708, TheRed and 12 others like this.
  10. Multatuli

Great collection too, @Alegandron!! The dog and frog types, I love them. I've been looking fot them for a long long time!

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful posts!!

I'd love to grab a few but they always seem beyond my available budget:(

Multatuli likes this.
  12. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I enjoyed looking at these ancients.

A few ancients I got in a bunch of uncleaned coins remind me of a couple of the coins you have posted here, @Multatuli. They were the heavier coins in the bunch and I started with them first, but when I cleaned them up a tad there was nothing much to look at. After all, I was hoping to see sharp detail (silly me). I set those aside. Your post encourages me to go take another gander at them. If I think I have something, I'll post a photograph here.
    (By the way, none of mine look anything like the coins @rrdenarius or @Alegandron posted).

Multatuli likes this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great stuff!

Multatuli likes this.
  14. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Okydoky, so I had a chance to go look at those coins I had set aside because they looked like nothing. None of them are related to the coins posted on this thread.

I did notice something encouraging, however. When I put those coins aside a month or so ago because they looked as though they contained absolutely no design whatsoever on either side, when I went back now to look at them again, I could easily recognize the outline of elements of reverses I have since come to know! I see that looking at a lot of coins is paying off.

15. Ancient Aussie

As I mentioned earlier I don't own any of these "monster currency" yet, but this pic I took in the British Museum a couple of weeks ago might be of interest to some of you as it was me.......gee whiz I would hate to be lugging around that currency bar...:) IMG20170805102617.jpg

Eduard, Curtisimo, Ed Snible and 11 others like this.
  16. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Very nice collection Multatuli!!! You too RR!
    Here is my aes grave sextans
    Rome, 230BC?, 269-218 BC
    O: Tortoise
    Rx: Six-Spoke Wheel,
    Two Dots (Denotes the denomination, Sextans)
    (40.29 Grams. 31 mm)
    AesGraveTor475O4x.jpg AesGraveTor475R4x.jpg

Curtisimo, randygeki, Andres2 and 9 others like this.
  17. Multatuli

Thank you, @TJC! Your tortoise is exceptional! It's in my want list!

18. Multatuli

Hi Aussie! About four years ago, I was in Naples. There is an excellent archeological museum there, with some aes signatum like this brick one!

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  19. Ancient Aussie

Is that the same museum as the Naples Museum? I ask that because I went to that one in 2012 but was on a guided tour and did not see the coin section but some other great statues and artifacts that were fantastic.

20. Multatuli

That's right! The Museo Archeologico di Napoli. The collection starts with coins of greek period (Campania and Magna Grecia), through roman and medieval. Amazing collection. I don't know if it's a permanent exposition, but I believe so.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted