My Only Ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

This is my only ancient coin at this time. Ive had it for about 20 years now. It was bought at a swap meet for about $20 or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Constantinopoli (variety without the s on the end) Heraclea mint SMH+the workshop numeral which I suspect may be delta (4) and a *. RIC Vol.VII page 560 #144 is listed as a rare coin. Rare late Romans based on mintmark bring little premium unless the coin is very clear and fully detailed. Unfortunately this one is on a small flan losing half of every letter.

I don't have the exact coin but this one from Nicomedia is very similar except for the N replacing the H in the mintmark and lacking the *.
    [​IMG]

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Nice ancients guys :)

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats cool. I am happy with mine. I didnt think it was anything special. I am looking to dabble more into Ancients this year & next.

6. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Junior Member

Collecting ancients can easily turn into an addiction! I guess it beats the hell out of wasting money on drugs and other pointless addictions that you won't get much enjoyment out of. I'de say stick with investing in ancient coins. Right now you can get some nice ones at a decent price but as they continue to get bought up the price/value will rise as the demand goes up and the amount of them available begins to dwindle. Supply and demand...

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Ive looked over Forvm Ancient Coins website, some wonderful pieces. Currently I am just continuing to get higher grades of some U.S. coins for my type set, then it's onto U.S. gold and probably the ancients that interest me.

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

you could go with ancient gold :D

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

If my budget allowed me to, sure:D.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

whats your budget ? :) you can find some decent ones in the 300-600 range. :)goofer:which is way over my budget :goofer:)

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It varies really. Dropped $700 for one and $300 for another for U.S. gold I bought.

Draft saved Draft deleted