My oldest coin- Ionia Miletos 1/12th stater 525 BC- 475 BC! 1.15 g

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Aug 4, 2020.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I really like the strong strike in this coin!

Attached Files:

• lion.jpg
      lion.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

that's a nice one for sure

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Lovely little fella. Congrats!
    20190729_183627_IMG_2816.PNG

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..that is a nice one JayAg47...i don't have one of those at the moment :)

6. Mike Margolis

upload_2020-8-4_9-13-50.png
    Miletos, Ionia, Late 6th - Early 5th Century B.C.E
    GA89322. Silver 1/8 stater, SNG Kayhan 455 - 460; SNG Keckman 262; Klein 420; Trait‚ I 433, pl. XI, 10; SNG Cop -; SNGvA -; SNG Mnchen -; SNG Tbingen -; BMC Ionia -, VF, etched surfaces, 1.541g, 10.0mm, 0o, Miletos (near Balat, Turkey) mint, lion head (mask?) facing, square pelleted linear border; reverse floral/stellar pattern with four points inside a double square lattice frame, all within an incuse square ; rare

Miletos was an ancient Greek city on the western coast of Anatolia, near the mouth of the Maeander River. Miletos, along with most of Anatolia, was taken from Persia by Alexander the Great in 334 B.C. Miletos' greatest wealth and splendor was reached during the Hellenistic era and Roman times. Its ruins are located near the modern town of Balat in Aydin Province, Turkey. The symbols found on coins of Miletos include the lion, a star, and Apollo. The star may represent the Sun in association with Apollo. `Miletus

I love the incredible math and mathematicians that came out of this area in those days. These matrices/grids hold profound mathematical info concerning the true shape of the creation.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Ryro, PeteB, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

A nice example of a good type, Jay! Mine is missing part of the snout:

Magna Graecia – Ionien, Milet, 1:12 Stater, Löwenkopf und Stern.png
    Ionia, Milet, AR 1/12 stater, late 6th – early 5th c. BC. obv: forepart of roaring lion l. Rev: stellate pattern in incuse. 9.5mm, 0.85g. Ref: SNG Kayhan 476–482; SNG Copenhagen 955–951. Ex Harlan J. Berk, IL; Ex Frank S Robinson, auction 106, lot 77.

Ryro, PeteB, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  8. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Nice one Jay! Mine is facing right.

Miletos_(2).jpg Ionia, Miletos. 520-450 BC.
    Obv: Forepart of a roaring lion left, head turned back to right.
    Rev: Stellate pattern within incuse square.
    Diobol AR 8mm.

Ryro, Bing, PeteB and 4 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

MILETOS

upload_2020-8-4_11-6-29.png
    Iona-Miletos AR Obol Late 6th Century BCE fine lion laying LEFT facing RIGHT

upload_2020-8-4_11-7-9.png
    Iona-Miletos AR Obol Late 6th C BCE fine lion

upload_2020-8-4_11-8-19.png
    Ionia Miletos AR Tetartemorion 5.6mm 0.21g Roaring Lion Hd - Bird Klein 430 SNG Kay 941

upload_2020-8-4_11-9-54.png
    MAKEDON Philip III Arrhidaios 323-317 BCE Æ 1/2 Unit 17mm 4.2g Miletos mint Makedonwn shield Gorgoneion - Helmet bipennis K Price 2064

Johndakerftw, Ryro, Bing and 3 others like this.
  10. Mike Margolis

What does that lion have in his mouth in the tetartemorion?

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Human leg. :D

I dunno.

I have always found it is more difficult to get solid attributes as well as manufacturing dates on Tetartemorions. I believe since they are rarely found in hoards, are more difficult to find due to their tiny size, and are more found individually in agora / marketplace spots that they do not have solid details and info on this denomination.

Some of the attributes on ACSearch show it as "Tongue Protruding". I saw a few with a similar shape object in the Lion's mouth on different Tets. But mine would have a bizarre tongue! I honestly think "Tongue Protruding" is just a guess, and was repeated for other attributes as other Lion Tetartemorions were sold. I like Human leg better. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted