My oldest artifact!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Apr 10, 2021.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

And thanks to you as well!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

A prehistoric Ant living in my landscaping 235FE03B-739D-4C90-BEE2-70293FD3EBDC.jpeg

Jay GT4, -jeffB, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

When I was younger, my focus was primarily on fossils. Numismatics in my pre-teen years were secondary for the most part. Regardless, I've got a few trilobites in my fossil collection.

Trilobite Mortality Plate.jpg
    Trilobite 1.jpg Trilobite 2.jpg Trilobite 3.jpg

Rocks and Fossil Shelf.jpg

Attached Files:

5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  6. Bradley Trotter

The Trilobite is indeed from Morroco. However, I don't recall the species of that particular trilobite. As for the Ammonite, I bought that with my allowance when I was 8 years old, and to the best of my knowledge, it came from Madagascar.

DonnaML likes this.
  7. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Thanks

I found an approximate match for your trilobite, online:

https://fossilsforsaleuk.co.uk/products/hollardops-sp-4-9-cm-morocco-devonian

DonnaML likes this.
  8. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

My oldest artifact is this Clovis Paleo Indian projectile point from around 10,000-15,000BP.
    n2.jpg

Transitional Paleo Dalton 8,500-10,500BP.
    n3.jpg

9. Bradley Trotter

DonnaML likes this.
  10. Etcherman

Etcherman Well-Known Member

An artifact is an object created by a human.

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Yeah, whatever on the Artifact definition. My Grandkids still enjoy seeing Moon and Mars rocks, and they being an object over Four BILLION years old. Kinda cool.

I watched us land on the Moon in July, 1969. I am glad to own a piece of it today. Also, a piece of Mars that I hope we visit within my lifetime.

:)

MAMMOTH TUSK

I had bought mine in China, carved, from Mammoth tusk imported through Manchulia from Siberia, Russia. Since then, I understand now it is illegal to import Mammoth Tusk, similar to the Elephant Ivory laws. At the time I purchased them and brought them home, Mammouth was not an endangered species (being extinct), therefore there were no problems. Now, it looks like Custom Laws have changed. Like Ivory, existing pieces are grandfathered (as I understand the changes.)

Mammoth Tusk - Russia find China carved Chinese Zodiac BOAR and RABBIT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am the Boar, my wife's Zodiak is the Rabbit

12. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

An Elrathia Kingi trilobite from the Wheeler Shale Formation in Utah. These buggers roamed the seas around the Mid-Cambrian era (about 505 million years ago)

[​IMG]

An Knightia Eocaena fresh water schooling fish that swam during the Eocene epoch (56 to 33.9 million years ago) in North America. They are similar to herrings. Since they are schooling fish, there are tons of them and are one of the more common fish fossils that are found. This particular specimen was from the Great River Formation in Wyoming.

[​IMG]

This is a lower paleolithic black flint hand axe that is dated to be around 300,000–40,000 BCE..

[​IMG]

And a more recent cuneiform foundation cone of Išme-Dagān (1776-1736 BCE) of Isin in Assyria:

[​IMG]

The cuneiform transcription and its english-equivalent are below. It requires a Unicode-conformant cuneiform font (see http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/doc/help/visitingoracc/fonts/index.html):

upload_2021-4-11_6-51-10.png

Išme-Dagān, mighty man, king of Isin, king of the Four Quarters (of the world): when he cancelled the taxes of Nippur, the city beloved by Enlil, and excused its men from military/corvee service, he built the city wall of Isin, naming it “Išme-Dagān, with Enlil, the might of(?) the great God

13. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Did you find these or buy them? I have a few paleo fluted points I've found. None perfect but 1 is close.

14. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I love cuneiform tablets.

My brother has a couple.

Attachment-5.jpeg image2 (1).JPG

Erin

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's an extremely cool fossil, and one of my favorite metaphors. The perfect blend of "don't bite off more than you can chew" and "if you're going to be remembered tens of millions of years from now, do you want it to be for this blunder?"

DonnaML likes this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

upload_2021-4-11_10-15-9.png
    Egypt
    Neolithic Arrowhead
    8000 BCE

upload_2021-4-11_10-16-20.png
    upload_2021-4-11_10-16-56.png
    Cylinder Seal of Hero Fighting Animals.
    Akkadian, 2350-2200 BCE
    Buff stone cylinder seal with scene of hero wresting antelope and winged lion.
    25 mm.
    Good subject, design worn but still makes an impression.
    Ex J Tabot collection..

17. Maceraci Defineci

Maceraci Defineci New Member

18. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

here's a Acheulean hand axe made by a Homo Erectus and found in Germany.

4.5 inches long and circa 300,000 (?) years old.

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

19. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

20. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here are 2 artifacts. They were crafted by humans for 2 different reasons. The first is a Canaanite lamp which I own. The second is likely a spear- head nearly 13 cm long. I might buy it tomorrow but not sure how much shall I pay. It belongs to the stone age and was made of silex, according to seller. Thanks for your advice.

LampCanan.JPG StonKnife.JPG

21. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

I would be careful buying these spear points, they could have been made yesterday.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted