My numismatic rite de passage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Having mostly focussed so far on the silver coinage of the Roman Empire, and adding some coins of interest to my collection, my latest purchase brought me probably more satisfaction than most coins combined. As alluded in the title: I feel I've passed my numismatic rite de passage with the coin below:
    upload_2019-9-4_11-35-17.png
    Ruler: Anonymous. Denomination: AV stater, minted: Ambiani Celts, (current France); 58-55 BC
    Obs: Blank;
    Rev: Disjointed horse right with remains of charioteer above; crescent above pellet below, intertwined lines pattern in exergue
    Weight: 6.02g; Ø:17cm
    Catalogue: Evans 1864 Pl.B8; Scheers 1977 series 24, class IV (type)
    Description: reddish-gold, with some slight scratches on the observe. The reverse shows minimal wear and is in excellent condition.
    Acquired: 31-08-2019
    Provenance: Found in France, ex. private collection (2015-08-2019)

The Ambiani Celts were Belgic people of Celtic language. In 57 BC, when Julius Caesar started his Belgic campain, they were able to muster 10.000 armed men (Bello Gallico, book 2, chapter 4). However, when he came close to their capital Samarobriva (probably the modern Amiens), they submitted to Caesar (Bello Gallico, book 2, chapter 15). This gold stater was probably minted to finance the war against Julius Caesar.
    There are two hypotheses regarding the blank observe: 1) as several Celtic tribes made an alliance, a typical Celtisized horse was used for the reverse. The observe was left blank as to signify that the coins were minted by a coalition of tribes – ‘headless’ in other words, or 2) to speed up the production process. The latter explanation is more plausible, as the coins were made in a great hurry.

Holding this heavy coin in hand, and fantasizing about the history attached to it, I suddenly feel the urge to acquire more high-quality coins instead of the next Sevarus Alexander (though, no hard feelings against Alex!). Also, a big thanks to @DCCR for his detailed thoughts regarding this coin and Celtic gold coins in general.

Please post coins that caused your rite de passage - coins that made you look differently at your collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice stater, @Roerbakmix ! Nice history.

Two coins: Both had me rethink my collecting path of focusing just on the Roman Republic. These two coins helped me expand into those peoples that the Roman Republic interacted with along their journey from becoming a small City to a World Empire.

CARTHAGE - The Republic's greatest adversary.
    Carthage 300-264 BCE AR 2-3 Shekel Tanit-Horse Sear6491 SNG COP143var-tile.jpg
    Carthage
    300-264 BCE AR 2/3 Shekel
    Tanit
    -Horse
    Sear 6491 SNG COP 143var

ETRURIA - The Empire before Rome and that founded Rome.
    upload_2019-9-4_6-39-32.png

Etruria, Populonia
    2 ½ asses 3rd century BC, AR 0.85 g. Radiate female head r.; behind, CII. Rev. Blank. EC 104 (misdescribed, Female head with an Attic helmet). Historia Numorum Italy 179.
    Of the highest rarity, apparently only the second specimen known.
    Dark patina and about very fine
    From the collection of E.E. Clain-Stefanelli.

Roman Collector, Jwt708, Ryro and 8 others like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Interesting gold stater. Thanks for the background info as well.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

What an awesome gold coin @Roerbakmix !

I don't think this coin changed much about my collecting, but is an interesting blank obverse celtic coin, a 1st century BC Durotriges billon.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted