My November purchase

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, Nov 24, 2018.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I bought three denarii and three bronze coins.
    Septimius Severus AD 193-211. Rome, Obv. SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right. Rev. RESTITVTOR VRBIS, Roma seated left on shield, holding palladium and spear. RIC 288. 2.7g. (60 eur). I like the reverse.
    049-20.jpg
    Julia Domna AD 193-211. Rome,Obv. IVLIA DOMNA AVG, draped bust right. Rev. VESTA, Vesta seated left on throne, holding sceptre and palladium. RIC 538. 3.4 gr. (30 eur). I did not have seated Vesta.
    050-11.jpg
    Plautilla (202-205 AD). Rome. Obv. PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA, draped bust right. Rev. CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia standing left, holding patera and sceptre. RIC 363a. 3.1 gr. (150 eur). I did not have Plautilla from Rome mint.
    052-03.jpg
    Valens. AD 364-378. Aquileia. Obv. DN VALENS PF AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Valens right. Rev. GLORIA ROMANORVM, emperor advancing right, holding labaraum and dragging captive. SMAQP. RIC 11b. (10 eur) I want to expand this variant with new mint.
    156-01.jpg
    Gratian. AD 367-383. Thessalonica. Obv. DN GRATIANVS PF AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev. GLORIA RO-MANORVM, Emperor advancing right, holding kneeling captive with right hand and labarum with left; TES. RIC 26c. I want this because there is no chi-ro (only x) on labarum.
    158-01.jpg
    Arcadius. AD 383-408. Thessalonica. Obv. DN ARCADIVS PF AVG, Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev. VIRTVS AVGGG, Emperor, spurning captive with right foot and holding phoenix and labarum, standing left on galley left; Victory at helm, holding rudder; TЄS. RIC 61c. (10 eur) I did not have this reverse of Arcadius.
    165-12.jpg
    Post your comments, or November purchases. Thanks.

galba68, furryfrog02, Ajax and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice. Fun bunch.

Quite the contrast between empress portraits. I think I know why ...

Empresses of Caffeine.png

(OK, so it's no @TIF GIF, but the best I could manage with my primitive software.) ;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice acquisitions, @gogili1977 ! Did you know that the VESTA type of Julia Domna comes in with and without scepter versions? If you ever see one without the scepter, snatch it up.

Domna VESTA seated without scepter denarius.jpg

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here are a couple from November...

Commodus billon tet of Alexandria and Vespasian as well...

commodus.jpg

vespasian.jpg

The difference in color reflects the reduced silver content in the Commodus example.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

LOL, amusing.

Nice assortment, gogili.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. gogili1977

Nice joke. I don`t know does it depends on the mood of the die cutter and how he imagines that woman or the emperor has influence to the appearance of her coins?

8. gogili1977

I did not know that, but I noticed that currently there are more in the offer of the Vesta that standing left and the variant of the Vesta seated and holding simpulum and sceptre.

Roman Collector likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, the artistic variation on the portraiture is a wonderful thing.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

11. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I bought 2 Thursday night but obviously don’t have them in hand yet so I’m hesitant to post them. I will say they’re both from the X6 collection.

@gogili1977 that Plautilla is really nice, well struck and good metal. Very nice denarius.

Draft saved Draft deleted