My newly-bought German coins made of Ceramic...1 and 2 Marks

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by numizmatikci, May 30, 2012.

1. numizmatikci

numizmatikci Active Member

These are My newly-bought German coins made of Ceramic...I want to ask all of you " Is it a good idea to collect coins made of things other than metals like these ones?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I see no reason why not. After all, you're the collector and the captain of your collection. You set the direction and theme of that collection. Allow no one to tell you what you should or should not collect.

Now about these coins of yours.......what's the history behind them? Are they commemorative in nature? Very nice pieces.....:)

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb:I agree Buy what you want+make you happy!
    Hex I paid less than $10.00 for this one. 1875-H 1 Mark. World Book has listed @ $75.00 VF
    only 230,000 were minted.
    :thumb:You too could have found a rare one!!!!

1875 1 Mark obv.jpg 1875 1 mark rev.jpg ! 1875 1 mark MMark.jpg 1875 1 Mark date.jpg

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I think it is a great idea. I would like to own a plastic US cent. If you have an extra one, please mail it to me. :D I understand that surviving examples are sometimes found broken into two pieces.

I would like to know more about your new coins.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In those years (early 1920s) the Meissen porcelain manufactory made such notgeld pieces - for Saxony (see the images in the initial post) and for other places. But as far as I know, they were not that popular, partly because the porcelain "coins" were not very durable ... The crossed swords are still used as a logo by the Meissen Manufactory today.

Christian

7. numizmatikci

Dear Friends,
    I was just about to tell what chrisild said.Thank you for ur reply.By the way I bought 20 pfenning of the same series porcelain coins...

8. numizmatikci

And one of my friends bought the white ones which are,in my opnion,more attractive :)

9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

The porcelain coins are pretty interesting and has good history behind them. The only drawback of collecting these coins is that they are fragile and there are so many different kinds made.

10. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

German Notgeld is an interesting field to collect if you like unusual materials. I have coins made of porcelain, brass, zinc, steel, cardboard, encased postage in plastic as well as various metals. I have currency in cardboard, paper, silk, satin, linen and goat skin. There is also currency in shoe leather, aluminum foil and other material. I am looking for an inexpensive coin made from compressed coal dust.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

these are so cool. I did not know about them. that eagle is killer. thanks for posting them.:thumb:

12. numizmatikci

I bought 20 and 50 pfenning of the same type but 20 pfg was broken when I opened the package.It was seller's mistake not to wrap it suitable way :(
    by the way,ziggy9 I really want to see ur coins if have their photos taken.

13. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

There was a thread a while back that posted a few of these coin's.NM nice look'n coins..:thumb:. My coin comes from my coin club and where a member collects these coins, he did a presentation on these pfenning coins. Some small and some as large as a half dollar, different colors...:thumb:

Attached Files:

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Rosenblum coins is selling some books cheap right now. One of them describes Notgeld of the World. Here is a link & a couple descriptions in case someone is interested:

http://rosenblumcoins.com/Mini-List 15

1. Alpert, Stephen P. and Lawrence E. Elman. Tokens and Medals: A Guide to the Identification and Values of United States Exonumia. 1991, Los Angeles. 300 pages, card cover. Almost as new, but signs of aging. $10

2. Coffing, Courtney. A Guide and Checklist of World Notgeld 1914 – 1947. 1983, Iola. 184 pages, card cover. Basically as new but stored improperly and showing signs of aging. EF. $10

3. Grigore, Capt. Julius. Coins and Currency of Panama. 1972, Iola. 202 pages, hard cover. EF, only minor signs of use and aging. With 1977 Coin World International article by Coffing and David Alexander laid in. $10

4. Hibler, Harold E. and Charles V. Kappen. So-Called Dollars. 1963, New York. 156 pages, hard cover with hundreds of illustrations. With dust jacket. DJ shows wear and tears, body of book nice, with prices written in. The first edition of this most important work. $10

15. MorganDollarTJ

MorganDollarTJ Senior Member YN

i love coins made of different things, in my opinion, they are much more interesting than just metal coins, ceramic i think being one of the best because they don't deteriorate as easily wooden coins

16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i REALLY like those ceramic notgeld coins....

i will not go on ebay and look

Draft saved Draft deleted