My newest purchase and my first Ancient.....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Hookman, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I bought this the other day because I thought it was a good price ($7.00) and I like horses.
    Of course I have questions : Does it look genuine? Was the price a good deal or about right?
    I'm not starting an Ancients collection (at least that's not my intent) I just bought a coin that I liked.
    Thoughts from anyone else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ancient Greece: Maroneia, Thrace 400-350 BC

Obverse: Horse prancing right
    Reverse: MAR WNI TWN around three sides of linear square containing vines, YE monogram below
    15mm Bronze

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Yeah it's real. These are common - your deal was a reasonable price.

ominus1 and Hookman like this.
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Authentic.
    A fair price.

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

These tend to usually sell for $10-20 so I’d say a good deal!

6. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Don't know much about ancients but I might have bought that one for $7 myself :D

kountryken, ominus1 and Hookman like this.
  7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Too bad. That coin would make a nice beginning. Are you sure we can't entice you just a little bit?
    Miletos.jpg
    IONIA, Miletos, late 6th/early 5th century B.C.
    Silver Obol
    9mm, 1.0g

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I remember back in the day when I said I wasn't going to start collecting ancients, @Hookman ....
    Look at me now...
    [​IMG]
    BTW, that's a good price for a nice looking coin.

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

10. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I remember the time when I said I just want 1 or 2 ancient coins as curiosities in my collection.
    [​IMG]

When I really started collecting ancients, I said I will never be interested in Greek as they are much too complicated to distinguish
    [​IMG]

Ancients are fun. If you don't want to start a collection, nobody will blame you.
    But you will probably find others you will like (nice coin BTW, the design elements are still visible and that's not bad for a 2400 year old coin). You will start studying about them and history behind.
    And if you will find them interesting and see that there are lots and lots of beautiful coins at very decent prices, you will become addicted. At least this is what happened to me and many others I met here.

11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I only like ancients that are quite dirty and unidentifiable. Then I clean and attribute them. I was only going to do a few just for fun and experience. I am up to about 110 cleaned and identified. And, no end in sight.

12. Arcane76

Arcane76 Well-Known Member

I liked my world coins and some US too. Had 2 ancients that came with group lots I bought and the fine people here at cointalk helped identify them. It started a slippery slope……..now I’m collecting ancients…..couldn’t be happier!

13. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi @Hookman,

Welcome. If the coins seem intimidating to start with, consider buying some books to look at. That way you can see many nice coins all in one place for the price of the book. Search CT for books for beginners. And, if you read a little and learn a little it will enhance your appreciation of whatever you collect. Also, take a look at this web site that should help http://augustuscoins.com/ed/

Enjoy the ride.

- Broucheion

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted