My newest edition - 8 Escudos 1790-DA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AussieCollector, Sep 27, 2018.

1. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Well, I finally got it - my pre 1800 milled Spanish 8 Escudos.

It ended up being a 1790 DA, Santiago. 26,99g. Frbg.19

I've been saving for over 6 months for this coin. I put a low ball offer in at an auction, not really expecting to win. But there was only one other bidder for it, and they didn't go hard. I ended up getting it for just over melt value. Truly amazing.

It is very worn (graded by the auctioneer at VF), but I collect coins for the historical value primarily, so a worn coin says to me that it saw lots of trade and exchange of hands.

upload_2018-9-27_16-9-55.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Cool, congrats on the long sought after coin!! I would love to hear the story of why you wanted this particular type so much.

4. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Sure, but there's not really all that much to it. I'm a simple man, Severus.

My favourite era of coins is the age of sail and discovery. I've collected Dutch silver coins from the era, Spanish, French, and English. I also have a Dutch Ducat and a 2 Escudos cob. What I wanted at this point in my collection was a crown sized gold coin. The 8 escudos is a very accessible option for this coin, so I set my sights on it.

I nearly veered off course just the other day when I saw an Aureus not too far out of my range..... but I stayed strong ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted