My newest Caracalla Sestertius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

After returning my previous two Sestertii of Caracalla to the respective sellers last week (both had been identified as forgeries, thanks to this forum), I could not stand the vacancy in my brass portrait gallery and immediately ordered a replacement.

Here it is and I hope this one looks better in the eyes of the experts here:

P2100038.jpg

M AVREL ANTONINUS PIVS AVG GERM
    Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Caracalla right, seen from behind
    P M TR P XVIII IMP III COS IIII P P S C
    Asclepius, nude to waist, standing facing, head left, holding snake-entwined staff, Telesphorus at his feet to left, globe to right
    Sestertius, Rome 215
    30 mm; 22,22 gr
    RIC 538b, BMCRE 280, CSS 1449 var., Sear 6933 var.

P2100034.jpg

After returning from his German campaign of 213-14 (which earned him the title Germanicus) Caracalla, driven by a crazed obsession to emulate Alexander the Great, projected the conquest of Parthia.

Before establishing his military headquarters at the Syrian capital of Antiochia in 215, Caracalla as part of a tour around Asia Minor found time to visit the famous shrine of Asklepios in the city of Pergamum in the hope of finding cures for his numerous ailments, as his physical and mental health had begun to deteriorate.
    Ancient historians state that the reason for this visit was because he sought healing and relief from dreams in which he was being chased by his father Septimus Severus and brother Geta, whom he had murdered.

Asklepius (Greek: Ἀσκληπιός, Latin: Aesculapius) was a logical choice to supplicate for salvation, as he was a god of medicine in ancient Greek religion. He represented the healing aspect of the medical arts; his son Telesphorus (Greek: Τελεσφόρος Telesphoros) symbolized recovery from illness, as his name means "the accomplisher" or "bringer of completion" in Greek.

This visit (and undoubtedly the best wishes of the people for his recovery) was of such importance to Caracalla that it was commemorated by a special emission of coins in all three metals from the Rome mint in 215 as well as various issues of bronze medallions struck by the polis of Pergamum itself.

The rod of Asklepius, a snake-entwined staff, remains a symbol of medicine today.
    Therefore, Germany´s (and, for that matter, all of Europe´s) largest operator of private hospitals in our times is named "Asklepios Kliniken".
    Whenever I pass by their hospital in my neighborhood it will remind me of Caracalla, his visit to Pergamum, and this coin.

Please post anything you can share about Aesculapius / Asclepius or Caracalla, his bronzes, and his trip to the East.

Also I would be interested to know it there are really that many cast forgeries of Caracalla bronzes around (or was it just my personal bad luck with the last two?)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I see nothing that makes me question it's authenticity. I like the reverse.

Mikey Zee and Julius Germanicus like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Cool coin. Certainly looks authentic. By this time Caracalla's time was running out and he was assassinated as he went to relieve himself off to the side of the road. Enter Macrinus.

macrinus1.jpg

macrinus2.jpg

5. alde

alde Always Learning

Nice looking coin. I think it has a great portrait.

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Looks nice! By coincidence, I just received a provincial Caracalla in the mail today (from Hadrianopolis).

Forgive the phone pictures and lack of attribution. I am so insanely busy with this new school year (7 courses, with only 8 periods...) that I haven't had much time to devote to the collection:
    IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1819.JPG

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the authenticity but nothing has me concerned about it being genuine. I would love to have a Caracalla sestertius but I don't. Instead I have these large provincials which are among my favorite coins:

[​IMG]
    Caracalla, AD 198-217
    AE30, 14.9g, 7h; Thrace, Pautalia.
    Obv.: AVT K MAVP CEV ANTONEINOC, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: OVΛΠIAC ΠAVTAΛIAC, Asklepios standing front, looking left, leaning on serpent-entwined staff.

[​IMG]
    Caracalla, AD 198-217
    AE31, 16g, 12h; Serdica.
    Obv.: AVT K M AVR SEVH ANTΩNEINOC Laureate head right.
    Rev.: OVΛΠIAC CEPΔIKHC; Apollo standing facing, head left, holding patera in right hand and palm-branch in left.

8. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

If anybody is interested: the OP coin is now on sale at Künker eAuction 77 at a VERY reasonable price :angelic:

GinoLR likes this.
  9. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I really like the depiction of Asclepius on the reverse, and the portrait of Caracalla, in what appears to be in one of his more mellow moods, is very nice.

I think the coin is okay and it should tone darker.

This is a sestertius that I've had for many years, purchased from Palladium Coins in the 1990s. The coin has a hard green patina which is pretty even on the obverse but thick in places on the reverse.

Caracalla, sestertius, Rome, circa 210-213 AD. SECVRITATI PERPETVAE
    RIC 512d
    25.6 grams

Obverse: Bust of Caracalla, laureate, cuirassed, right.
    Reverse: Securitas, draped, seated right on low seat, propping head on right hand and holding scepter in left hand; in front, altar.

D-Camera Caracalla sestertius 198-217 AD Securitas Palladium 25.6g RIC 512d 4-4-21.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted