My New Website - Ancient Whitesheet!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I wanted to make a very simple and plain website so that the workload is less as well as being easy to maintain and expand. I've also been using it as a tool to learn myself as I add coins to the gallery with a appendix that has pronoun name terms from the ancient world. The site has pretty easy navigation and shortcut links to cut down scrolling on longer pages.

What we have right now is a ancient coin photo gallery from the coins that I own, a links page and a topic page. The problem with topics is that almost everything has been done. So, it's very difficult to come up with anything new and original. If you guys have ideas that I could manage on a low budget, I'm listening!

The main purpose I want with the site is to eventually be helpful to people or just something to read or do concerning ancient coins. This is also how I collect coins as well and as far as the topics are concerned, I'm sharing some of my knowledge I learned as well as my opinions. Of course I could be wrong about some things, that's why I also want and accept advice often but not always.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ancientwhitesheet/index.html

The site is hosted at Forum and I'm glad that Joe allowed me to upload my site. This host is very fast and responsive and I have had no problems so far which is great. I created the site from scratch, on Notepad and HTML reference charts which is all I need.

Remember that sites are always on construction and I am changing stuff that I need to but I am over-all going to stick to the plain white look because it's easy to maintain.

I also showed a preview here sometime ago.

Ajax, Johnnie Black, GerardV and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hi! I went to check out the changes you are making. I also like the plain white background and black type. I do not know what size type you are using on your site. Larger will always be appreciated by me and probably by others who are getting older.

If you are looking for new topics, what about barbarous coins or
    show coins by devices like, grouping coins showing serpents, or coins with unusual patinas or animals. What about showing coins of rulers with exceedingly short rules? How about an in-depth article twice a year or a bit more? How about inviting guest coin collectors (especially new collectors) showing their top 5 or 10 favorite ancient coins and explaining why these are their favorites? You could interview them and ask how they got involved and interested in collecting coins. If you audio taped the interviews we could listen to the interview as we look at the coins and when your guests referenced the coins we could easily follow along. You could ask them cool stuff like whether they collect anything else? Maybe you could go out with your video camera and visit collectors?

@Gil-galad, when I went to the Gallery, it was only when I scrolled to the bottom of the page that I found the links again and those took me to photographs of coins. It would be handy to be able to go to the ancient eastern coins, for instance, from that bold underscored lettering higher up on the page. I also notice that what is referred to above on that page as ancient eastern coins seems to be identified below on the same page as ancient asia.

I found it interesting to see the number of coins you obtained each month of the years you cover. Will you be including 2016 and 2017? It occurred to me that since each collector will probably have a different experience in terms of number of coins collected, you might entitle this section something like: The progression of the first five years (whatever) of my ancient coin collecting.

I hope you do not mind my comments. It may be that I am misunderstanding because my own experience in collecting ancients (not to mention website design) is extremely preliminary.

p.s. please excuse typographical errors. I had spell check on this device but do not know what happened to it. It is definitely not catching my errors.

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..you're not getting older...you're getting better....(from an old commercial:p)

LaCointessa and Alegandron like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is a good idea, however, I was going to suggest one LETTER per page, as it would be easier reading for me...
    :)

6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I will in fact make the gallery categories into links very soon. The reason why it's kind of messed up in that gallery area is because I changed the name from ancient east to ancient Asia. I also need to change the explanation as well. So, it's not 100% complete yet but close. I should have it done by tomorrow sometime or before if I start working on it.

That's a good idea to change the name and expand the topic for 2 more years. I stopped working on it because I was wondering how useful this topic would be. lmao

Thanks for your input and advice.

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Oh ok, I see...I was clicking all over the place trying to see your coin pics!

8. LaCointessa

@chrsmat71 - The links to the photographs and attributions are there and they work. Just go to gallery and scroll to the very bottom of that page and you will see the links. It is nice becauuse he has maps too, and the photos are nice.

It is not messed up at all, @Gil-galad! I like it and I will definitely be going back again soon!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Gil-galad likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah.....I got confused there! Thanks! I even saw you said "scrolled to the bottom of the page", but stopped when I saw the area navigation links. Yeah, definitely make those categories the links.

Your catagories are pretty much the same as mine GG, I have coin box for each of these. Except islamic..I have them stuffed in the eastern box....but what about islamic from spain??? I like having them in there own category.

Gil-galad and LaCointessa like this.
  10. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the site launch. Always good to see more online resources.

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Excellent

Gil-galad likes this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I think it's excellent as well---easy to navigate and 'spaced' large enough for pleasurable scrolling.....

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Very nice indeed! Elegant, easy to read, informative.

Gil-galad likes this.
  14. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Very nice @Gil-galad - congratulations!

Always the right approach in my opinion.

As a fellow web author, it gladdens my heart to see you write that. I have always written my web pages (and style sheets) by hand using plain text editors ever since the advent of HTML - it is the only way to be a true master of your web pages.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. LaCointessa

Wow! I am impressed!
    Kudos to both of you.

16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I just finished editing the gallery page and changed all the main categories to links as well as changing the names and getting rid of one that belonged to a section that is no longer being used.

I think this looks better and easier to navigate now.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ancientwhitesheet/gallery.html

17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Thanks, my friend!! I am happy about your comments because you've helped me with the content of your site as well as giving me a very nice coin as well. Lots of people really like that Diocletian Londinium mint Genius heavy 10g follis, I post it frequently on Facebook and here at CoinTalk.

I learned in nearly the same manner as you but started in 1996, before I found ancient coins as a hobby. Using any editor has been problematic between browsers and produces code that gives more advanced control to your webpages but also produces bloated code that is far larger than what it needs to be.

Writing pages in this manner by hand produces far less code and is more responsive because everything loads fast with smaller files which is an advantage on low power units like cell phones for example. Also allowing the web browser application more control over the display of your website which increases compatibility over-all in my opinion.

The entire website can be easily ported to any host server as well because it doesn't use PHP, ASP or anything of the sort.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  18. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

One more thing, when editing webpages sometimes you need to refresh or reload and it's a pain. If you ain't seeing the changes, right click and click refresh or reload and you should see it.

19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Ok, I definitely changed the categories to links so it should be even easier to navigate.

I don't believe I have seen your website yet.

Islamic Empire is a catch all for one page to include all regions that have Islamic coinage, even parts of Europe.

20. LaCointessa

Perfect @Gil-galad !
    Now I am going to go enjoy it and stop nagging you.:angelic:

Mikey Zee and Gil-galad like this.
  21. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Thanks again, LaCointessa!!

LaCointessa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted