My new toned gold purchase - 1926 $2 1/2 Sesquicentennial

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Sep 24, 2018.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Actually, I think that coin deserves a higher grade 'witten..........PCGS rated mine at a 64+ and it's (green) beaned too. Ever think of sending into CAC?

4. jwitten

I may end up crossing a few of my ngc toners to pcgs so I can get trueviews. We'll see what she does there.

green18 likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Woof, I don't know what that godawful noise in that video was, but please don't ever subject us to that racket again.

As for the video - there are more marks apparent on the obverse than in your still images. The luster and eye appeal still look good, but the obverse marks will bring it down.

I still say, however, the grade driver is the deep, dark, nearly corrosive toning on the reverse. It's affect on the coin was even more apparent in this video - the black spots were completely devoid of luster, and quite unattractive.

I do not think this coin would be successful at CAC because of those dark spots.

But, that obverse remains one of the most pleasantly toned I've seen.

green18 likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

Absolutely and 100% not worth it. The PCGS pictures are absolutely worthless. They are "glamor shots" taken to show the absolute best possible view of the coin, with a heavy red-shift. They are complete garbage. If you ever get to compare the so-called "True"View to the coin in hand, you'll see that it bears as much resemblance to the coin in real life as a photo-shopped SI swimsuit model. Yeah, it might be pretty, but it doesn't look anything like that in real life.

There are at least half a dozen photographers on this forum who are willing to take pictures for a small fee, and will do a spectacular job. They take vastly superior pictures to PCGS.

mikenoodle and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck, I'll do it for free, I'm such a who......... devil.gif

8. physics-fan3.14

For a coin like that, I'd do it for free as well just to see that obverse ;)

jwitten likes this.
  9. jwitten

:hilarious: I disagree with your views on trueviews and my music, lol ;)

10. physics-fan3.14

Ah, well, at least we can agree the coin is nice ;)

jwitten likes this.
  11. jwitten

Draft saved Draft deleted