My New Tiny Trime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Feb 27, 2015.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

In Proof, in the condition and grade that this one is in, auction records show that it would be worth about 3x more as a proof than as a business strike.

Very likely. Happened all the time in the 19th century mint. Several of the PL Seated series are from proof dies.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Welp that answers my questions for the most part.... i guess ill change my grade to ms 65* then...if that sorta things allowed around here?

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Alrighty, I think its time for the big reveal:

NGC called this one MS-67 * PL, and CAC put a green bean on it.

A couple of people came close, but nobody got it right (which I think may be a first).

As many people have commented, the coin very much looks like a proof. I don't believe it is, because the rims are not square, they are rounded (which you can't see in these pictures). You may be able to see the rounded rims better in the pictures from Heritage, when it sold a couple of years ago: http://coins.ha.com/itm/three-cent-...nts/1862-3cs-ms67-prooflike-ngc/a/1188-3289.s It was struck from the proof dies (comparing with the Heritage archive pictures, there is doubling/repunching on several of the reverse stars, and the die polish on the obverse matches a couple of proof examples I found). This was probably one of the first half dozen business strikes from them. In hand, the mirrors are deep and reflective, and the cameo contrast is strong (if it *were* a proof, it would be a lock for the CAM designation). The strike is very strong for a business strike coin, and there is absolutely no evidence of clashing.

As a business strike this is the finest known Silver 3-Cent coin for the date (there are other 67's, but not with a Star and a PL). If it were a proof, it would still be the finest for the date at NGC (there are no PF-67CAMs graded). I am incredibly proud to own this coin!

5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

OK, I think I see the rounding of the rim on the upper obv in the heritage photos. Agreed--MS, and one outstanding jewel added to your PL set! Congrats!!!

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Congratulations, but I am still not sure I believe that is a business strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted