My New Tiny Trime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Feb 27, 2015.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I saw this one recently, and the price was fair, so I picked it up. Trimes are Tiny! Take a guess at the grade, and I'll post my comments and the grade NGC gave it later this weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz, Effigy303, Kirkuleez and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. philo

philo New Member

Beauty!

spirityoda likes this.
  4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

MS-66* Nice coin. I like the frosting, it looks like proof.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wow sweet coin. love it. :)

6. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

What is that thing that looks like a dent near the D? And are those two horizontal lines between the D and the star on the coin or holder?

Amazing looking coin!

7. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

That has to be a proof right?? Did they mint proof trimes?? Im lost... but ill take a stab!!
    Howz about pf64??

8. physics-fan3.14

There are a couple minor planchet flaws or strikethroughs. Below the D is one, and there are a couple tiny ones on the reverse. The two lines you see in the same area are die scratches that caught the light just right.

9. physics-fan3.14

Yes, they did mint proof trimes.

The proof mintage was 550, so I am assuming there was only a single die pair used. A careful comparison of my coin with the proof coins show that the exact same dies were used - all of the die markers of the proof coins are present on my coin.

However, my coin was certified as a Business Strike. I think this is correct, based on the roundness of the rims.

Does this change your guess?

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Ok. So those two lines are actually raised metal above the field?

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

What's that round mark on the obverse just to the right of the E and D in United? It caught my eye right away. I suspect it's not that distracting when in hand. Nice addition Jason.

I went with a lower grade on the NGC site, but I'll guess MS65 PL here.

I'm a grader! I can change my mind....lol.

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My first impression was MS64 PL, but that was in part due to the planchet flaw below the D. Heck with it, I'm sticking with my first instinct, MS64 PL.

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Must be your pictures, but that sure looks like a proof cam to me. Since it is not proof, 65PL?

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

15. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

66pl

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

How many people have a bent trime?

miedbe7 likes this.
  17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sweet coin, times are another favorite of mine both types. l have a 1862/1 but your's is one sweet looking proof coin.

18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I think it's a proof, if I'm allowed to disagree. It is very, very unusual to see such amazing detail on an MS trime. I might be otherwise convinced if I could see it up close. My guess on the assigned grade is MS66* PL

19. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I HAVE SEEN a business strike shield nickel that looked like a proof... with that being said idk about this one.... if it has all the markers it seems the odds would be favored towards proof....But man to me the rims look wired atleast on one side... and wouldnt the striking pressure be not as great on such a thin and tiny coin??? Hence possible rounded rims?? So many questions.... im guessing THIS particular coin would be worth more in MS PL than proof so im sure you arent gonna crack it.out and resubmit

20. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

MS64 PL CAM.

21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

How likely is it that the dies were then used for business strikes too.

Draft saved Draft deleted