My New Tetricus Aureus...Trajan Sestertius...sort of

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Hope that title doesn't count as "click bait." Apologies in advance! :oops:

My local library discards stuff all the time, including patron donations. The other day I got two massive world stamp albums for $4, chock full o' stamps. When I was 11 I would have killed for this. I culled out old stuff, reliving my misspent youth, and while doing so found that quite a few stamps feature ancient coins.

Aureus of Tetricus (Goldmunze!):

Ancient Coin Stamps Sep 2019 (8).JPG

Greek drachm:

Ancient Coin Stamps Sep 2019 (5).JPG

Not a coin, but our old friend Glykon, the puppet-headed snake god:

Ancient Coin Stamps Sep 2019 (10).JPG

Byzantine Gold something or other:
    Ancient Coin Stamps Sep 2019 (9).JPG

Last but not least, a sestertius of Trajan, with the actual coin to match (to try to preserve a shred of integrity to this post):

Ancient Coin Stamps Sep 2019 (4).JPG

Trajan vic & Ant Pius Salus Sep lot 2019.jpg

Trajan Æ Sestertius
    (105-107 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

[IMP CAES NERVAE TRA]IANO AVG GER DAC [PM TRP COS V P P], laureate bust right, draped left / [SPQR OPTIMO PRINC]IPI S-C, Victory standing right, shield on palm tree inscribed VIC DAC.
    RIC 527; Cohen 542cf.
    (25.86 grams / 32 mm)

Again, with apologies. :angelic:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Cool! Here is a very comprehensive list of stamps that depict coins. For example, the elephant denarius of Julius Caesar:

1415141.jpg

zumbly, Cucumbor, TIF and 9 others like this.
  4. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

No apologies needed at all for for me @Marsyas Mike - excellent information - and great stamps featuring ancient coins.

Marsyas Mike and Andres2 like this.
  5. jamesicus

Very interesting stamp information by you also @Roman Collector - That JC denarius on a stamp is precious.

Marsyas Mike and Roman Collector like this.
  6. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

Interesting thread.
    Fun fact to see there is a stamp of the Trajan sestertius that we both own :)

Trajanus sestertius 3.jpg
    Trajanus, sestertius.
    33 mm, 27,36 g.
    Obv. IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P: Bust of Trajan, laureate, right with aegis.
    Rev. S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI S C: Victory, naked to waist, standing right, left foot on helmet, holding stylus in right hand and with left hand attaching shield inscribed VIC DAC to palm-tree.
    RIC 528

zumbly, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 9 others like this.
  7. jamesicus

That is a great sestertius @Marsman - I have always wanted one just like that.

Marsyas Mike and Marsman like this.
  8. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  9. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing,Mike. I wonder if you keep 'm, sell 'm or even extend your collection ?
    I still own a collection of a couple of hunderd stamps with coins depicted on 'm.
    here are some of 'm :
    P1180003 1959-1963.jpg P1180004 greece 2004.jpg P1180004alexander III.jpg P1180004 cyprus 1977.jpg

10. jamesicus

Marsyas Mike, galba68 and Andres2 like this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Way cool, @Marsyas Mike !

I know @ancientcoinguru ’s husband is a big collector of stamps! This looks like a big crossover for his and her collections!

12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

No apologies necessary @Marsyas Mike, fabulous post. Between you & @Andres2, makes for a new dimension in collecting. (Well, maybe not totally new - I'm sure someone is doing this already.) :singing:

On a side note, I was @ Barnes & Noble recently & noticed the book Ten Caesars by Barry Strauss - I bought it & I think I'm having an epiphany! :happy::happy::happy:

Marsyas Mike and galba68 like this.
  13. Marsman

CFE274A4-8AAF-43B8-8622-4DB2B2886B18.jpeg 3E2F2401-E314-4F9E-B241-FE93BEBFACAA.jpeg

Not exactly the same, but close enough :)
    (C is missing on my coin)

14. Marsman

169724CF-EC53-4B13-A4BB-8703F58307E2.jpeg

This is a nice set, for sale on eBay.
    Albanian stamps with Illyrian emperors.

Johndakerftw, zumbly, TIF and 2 others like this.
  15. Marsyas Mike

Thank you all for such a warm response to my non-coin post. And wow, what a lot of stamps featuring ancient coins. I had no idea.

The albums I have are stuffed with stamps, so I probably missed some, but here are three more, from Israel. I think these are Roman era rebellion issues (I'd like to have some real ones!)

Ancient Coin stamps israel (2).JPG

16. Marsyas Mike

Thanks for sharing this, Marsman. Now everybody can see what a nice VIC DAC sestertius looks like! It is beautiful.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

How cool, especially that you have the matching Trajan coin!

@Roman Collector, thanks for that link. I never would have imagined there were so many stamps depicting coins. That might be something fun to collect (ancient coins depicted on stamps)... with a bonus of being easy to store :).

Roman Collector and Marsyas Mike like this.
  18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Some great examples, interesting thread, even though I don't collect stamps

Q

Marsyas Mike likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted