My new purchase from Serbia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jims Coins, May 20, 2021.

1. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

This Coin just came in from Serbia,
    Bronze coin (AE4) minted at Aquilea during the reign of FLAVIUS VICTOR between the summer of 387 – 28 Aug. 388 A.D. Obv. D.N.FL.VICTOR.P.F.AVG. pearl-diad., dr. & cuir. bust right. Rev. SPES.ROMANORVM. Camp-gate, 5 layers, no door, star above. RCS #4211. RICIX #55b pg.105. DVM #6.

Showing the auction pictures and the actual coin picture. Finally got a Flavius Victor coin.

Show your Flavius Victor Coins.
    So, what is the overall opinion, is this coin a fake?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's a cool little campgate!

4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

5. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Agreed- the portrait looks off to me. I don't think this is a genuine Flavius Victor

My examples for reference

Flavius Victor campgate Aquileia.jpg Flavius Victor campgate.jpg

6. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

They look normal to me.

7. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Original auction listing for those wondering. The seller, miromanas-0 is on several fakeseller lists. I don't know anything about coins of Flavius Victor to comment on the style or anything like that but the overall engraving technique looks pretty similar to some very poorly made Antony/Cleopatra fakes I've seen popping up on eBay recently, which usually have a similar blue background.

8. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

All look to be made by the same hand as the ones I pointed to above.

10. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

miromanas-0 is a seller of terrible fakes and quite bold or just stupid...or both. In 2019, he listed four examples of "Saturninus" for sell at almost the same time.

SATURNINUS.jpg

'JULIUS SATURNINUS 280 AD_VANDALS SILIQUA_VICTORIAROMAORUM_VOT XX_UNIQUE I eBay' _1.png

'JULIUS SATURNINUS 280 AD_VANDALS SILIQUA_UNREADABLE VANDALS VICTORIA_UNIQUE_ I eBay'_2.png

'JULIUS SATURNINUS 280 AD_VANDALS SILIQUA_SALUSREIPUPLICAE_UNIQUE I _3.png

'JULIUS SATURNINUS 280 AD_VANDALS SILIQUA_SALUSAAVG_EXTREMLY RARE I eBay' - www_ebay_com_4.png

11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..never seen a low wall campgate....but then, i don't get out much...:)

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'd be the last to question the advice to stay away from a Serbian on the fakeseller lists but I miss completely the style matching between the coin purchased and all those terrible fakes from that seller. I am not saying that the coin is genuine or not just that there are ten thousand fakes and no need for them to match. I only have one Flavius Victor and it is a different mint (Arles) so there is no expectation of the styles to match. Are the experts here saying mine is fake, too?
    ry7875bb3084.jpg

galba68, cmezner, Jims Coins and 5 others like this.
  13. furryfrog02

This is why I don't buy things from overseas :(

Kentucky and cmezner like this.
  14. Dwarf

Dwarf Active Member

Assuming you live in the US this will be difficult.
    All ancient coins originally come from "overseas" :rolleyes:

JulesUK likes this.
  15. Nicholas Molinari

16. Nicholas Molinari

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  17. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Flavius Victor was the young son of Magnus Maximus, briefly elevated to Augustus to represent his father in the West when Maximus attempted to depose Valentinian II. All of his coins are rare, pricey ($100+) and there are numerous published fakes of his AE coinage. A questionable style Flavius Victor should absolutely be treated with suspicion - and I would say this is most definitely questionable.

18. Nicholas Molinari

Good to know.

19. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I don't think it's questionable...I think it's fake. :)

20. furryfrog02

Ok let me correct my statement: This is why I don’t buy from overseas sellers. Namely, Eastern European countries.
    I’ve seen interesting coins at enticing prices but the amount of fakes is not worth the hassle. I’m sure there are reputable sellers there but I just don’t have the time, skill, or money to put towards that effort.

Kentucky and cmezner like this.
  21. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Does Western Europe -- the UK, Spain, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland -- count as "overseas"? (I'm omitting Italy because of the export license issues.) I've bought from all of them.

galba68 and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted