Featured My new NEMAUSUS DUPONDIUS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

It all started last December. First it was @Roerbakmix, then @JulesUK , @Marsman and finally @Alegandron. All of them talking about the same type of coin. Is it a conspiracy or what ? I couldn’t stop hearing this little voice in my head whispering “BUY ONE,BUY ONE”. Nights and days without a break. Wasn’t able to sleep, wasn’t able to eat or think clearly. I tried to resist but it was to much to endure. I did it. I sinned. The best way to get rid of temptation is to yield it, don’t you think so ? So I present you my latest baby : my Nemausus Dupondius. I was a bit out of cash ‘cause of my recent surgery ( I had a brain transplant) so I could only afford this one; and it was 2 for the price of one.
    Nemausus Dupondius
    23 mm 6.20 g 2 h
    COL NEM / IMP DIVI F
    RPC 523
    2AA24831-D05E-4A49-97FB-F4F61B478919.jpeg

The city
    Nîmes, a city in southern France, was a critical outpost of the Roman Empire. It’s known for well-preserved Roman monuments such as the Arena of Nîmes, a double-tiered amphitheater still in use for concerts and bullfights. Both the Pont du Gard tri-level aqueduct and the Maison Carrée white limestone Roman temple are around 2,000 years old.That’s one reason why Nîmes has been called “The French Rome”. The contemporary coat of arms of the city of Nîmes includes a crocodile chained to a palm tree with the inscription COL NEM, for Colonia Nemausus.
    [​IMG]

The city of Nemausus probably became a Roman colony before 28 BC. The emperor Augustus made the city the capital of Narbonne province, and gave it all its glory. The emperor Hadrian added a basilica, which was named after Plotina, wife of Trajan ; according to the Historia Augusta, it was "of marvellous workmanship".The place is also known as the birthplace of the family of the emperor Antoninus pius. Constantine the Great financed the city with baths. The decline of Nemausus appears to have started early: the city was eclipsed by Arles, which was, in the fourth century, the largest city in southern Gaul. But the important detail about the city is that in 27 BC, the emperor Augustus settled veterans from his Egyptian campaign in the city and gave it the rights of a colonia (Alternatively, they were soldiers of the army of his defeated rival Mark Antony) As a consequence, the coins of Nemausus showed an Egyptian crocodile and sometimes palm tree or leaf.

[​IMG]
    The temple “La maison carrée”

[​IMG]
    Arena interior

The coin
    The 4 series of the As (or dupondius ) of Nîmes, bronze coins struck under Augustus and Agrippa, commemorate the capture of Egypt and the establishment of veterans in Nemausus. The iconography of this Roman coin is linked to the specific historical period between the years 28 BC and 14 AD of Octavian and his general Agrippa, who defeated Cleopatra and Mark Antony at Actium. Both palm and crocodile symbolize not only the capture of Egypt, but also the defeat of Mark Antony. During these times, soldiers and officers were paid in silver denarii and gold aurei. But around ancient Roman military camps, coppers are found in high quantities (about 80% of all founds).Coins has often been cut in half for lack of divisional currencies and aces in particular. Aces will be abundantly imitated in Gaul until the reign of Nero to supplement the Gallic strikes supposed to disappear with the conquest.

Technically, the cutting seems to have been facilitated by the two busts located on the obverse. It was enough to place a chisel between them then to strike with a mass , the answer to the technical question seems clear. However, the operation was not completely successful given the thickness of the blank, its possible faults, the difficulty of cutting it, the width of the chisel available to the operator and could result in an imperfect separation with one half heavier than the other.
    Different techniques seem to have been used to try to obtain two perfect halves, the most common of which must be grooving before cutting work between the 2 busts. A process is revealed by a dupondius of Nîmes at the pre-cutting stage.

[​IMG]
    Collection J.Langleur

This copy has a central hole, on the reverse a groove leaves the hole towards the belly of the crocodile. The hole should, in all likelihood, allow a separation of the coin: a first cut began here towards the center of the saurian, then the chisel would have carried out a separation upwards, which allowed an optimal grip and a separation respecting the weight of the two parts as well as possible. The work having, fortunately, not been finished, probably that the officiant had to groove on both sides of the opening before cutting, the visible line on the reverse reveals this intention.

I know it has been done before, but if you feel like it, please show us your NEMAUSUS CROCODILE !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Rocking new crock and funny and well written post!
    These types really do give a strange obsession/addiction to them.
    I thought I was good with a whole one...
    21E8A785-A7F7-4C37-9033-D8635BDF4D82.png But nope. I had to have a half as I love the type so much:
    9034DE22-C7DE-480A-B40E-0BF03F0452F0.png

4. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Nice score @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix !! Perhaps I’m the one who needs the brain transplant since I seem to have a small problem. No whole one here just a small bask of half crocs:
    3C5AAC74-BAFB-4E54-90C4-0D93B52E5F35.jpeg

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's cool, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ! I only have the full version. I think its weird die-axis was specifically to allow cutting it in half, preserving the crocodile:

[​IMG]
    Augustus with Agrippa, 27 BC - AD 14.
    Roman Æ as, 12.99 g, 26.3 mm, 4 h.
    Nemausus, after 16/15 BC.
    Obv: IMP/DIVI F, heads back to back of Augustus, right, bare, and Agrippa, left, wearing rostral crown.
    Rev: COL-NEM to left and right of palm shoot, its tip to right, behind chained crocodile; two wreaths above palm tip.
    Refs: RIC 155; RPC 523; Cohen 7; AMC 411; RCV 1729.
    Notes: Sear (p. 338) notes this initial revival of the Nemausian series on a lighter weight standard is probably to be associated with Augustus' visit to Gaul in 16 BC.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I will never admit to telling people to “BUY ONE,BUY ONE” of these. I can not see having just one. "BUY ANOTHER!" There are three major variations and a full set of 12 halves. Yours is one I do not have where the reverse has almost none of the crocodile.
    [​IMG]

7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting coins. I find cut coins interesting.
    I have a few that look almost OK.
    20200105_215229.jpg 20200105_215251.jpg
    and a bunch (49 shown) that are bad.
    20200105_215307.jpg

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Here's mine. From the earlier "heavy" series

COLNEM_0.jpg

Augustus & Agrippa AE Dupondius
    IMP DIVI F
    back-to-back heads of Agrippa, wearing rostral crown, & Augustus, bare

COL NEM
    palm shoot, crocodile before (not chained), two wreaths with long ties trailing above palm tip

Nemausus Mint
    20-10 BC.

RPC 523

15.93g Heavy Early Issue!

9. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Nice one!

I like to imagine you hearing my voice whispering, along with @JulesUK, @Marsman and @Alegandron... ;)

Anyway, here's my COL NEM (again)
    Agrippa (COL NEM).jpg

ancientone, TheRed, Limes and 14 others like this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I don't have one of these types yet. I think I'll start looking for one. The capture of Egypt and the fall of the last Hellenistic kingdom was certainly something to celebrate at the time as it made Rome much richer.

7Calbrey likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, nope... no conspiracy! Just GREAT coins! :D

SUPER coin, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ! Welcome to the CONSPIRACY!

[​IMG]
    RI Augustus oak crown Agrippa rostral crown L AE Dupondius 26mm 12.6g 10-14CE Nemausus chained Croc snake wreaths RIC I 158

12. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice write-up @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix and nice cut coin too. These types are interesting indeed. Here is mine, there's a small hole on the obverse, between the heads of Augustus and Agrippa. This is one of my favorite coins in my collection.

1.4.png

13. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I only have this poor one, it is 27 mm and weighs 16.80 gr. However, a numismatical friend has two halves for sale, and because of this thread I decided to buy it from him.
    I'll show it when I have it (takes two weeks I think).

2108 Nemausus ct.jpg

14. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Sorry my friend but you are infected. You caught the disease. It’s an epidemic!

Sulla80, 7Calbrey, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  15. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

Some of my crocos. Please excuse my Frenglish...

[​IMG]
    Type I - RPC 522 . 27,5 mm - 18,06 g

We can distinguish four successive issues. The very first type, issued for a very short time and of which very few specimens remain, is characterized by a fairly large module and an average weight of 16.80 g, which confirms its kinship with two-effigy coins struck by Lyon, Vienna, Orange, and so the fact that this bronze is a dupondius and not an as.
    The weight disparities between the different types I and types II specimens are very large. So it seems that the point which follows COL and the examination of the style are the best means of distinguishing this first issue from the next, more than just observing the weight.
    The types II, III and IV are rather common, but it is extremely difficult to find a type I in good state of conservation.

On peut distinguer quatre émissions successives du dupondius de Nîmes. Le tout premier type, émis pendant une très courte durée et dont il ne subsiste que fort peu d'exemplaires, se caractérise par un module assez important et un poids moyen de 16,80 g, qui confirment sa parenté avec les monnaies à deux effigies frappées à Lyon, Vienne, Orange, et donc le fait que ce sont des dupondii et non des as.
    Les disparités de poids entre les différents exemplaires des types I et des types II sont très importantes. Aussi il semble que le point qui suit COL et l'examen du style soient les meilleurs moyens de distinguer cette première émission de la suivante, plus que la seule observation du poids.
    Les types II, III et IV sont plutôt communs, mais il est extrêmement difficile de trouver un type I en bel état de conservation.

[​IMG]
    Type II - RPC 523 . 26 mm - 10,85 g

On all these dupondius Agrippa exhibits the rostral crown, in memory of his victory at Actium. As on the coins of the first type, Octavius-Augustus is represented bareheaded on type II.
    On the reverse, the crocodile, which is also found on the denarius of Octavius with the legend AEGYPTO CAPTA, commemorates the conquered Egypt. However, if the crocodile of course refers to Egypt, at the same time it perpetuates the motif of the reverse of the bronzes of the Roman Republic, Lyon and Vienna. We could say that the ship has been "animalized". The teeth of the upper jaw of the crocodile are represented here outwards and this jaw extends disproportionately upwards, for no other plausible reason than to recall the rostrum and the prow of a ship.
    In addition to the official coins, a large number of coins of this type were produced during this period by local engravers; the rustic style of these imitations allows in theory to differentiate them, but it is not always so obvious. The average weight of bronzes of the second type is around 12.20 g.

Sur tous les dupondii de Nîmes Agrippa exhibe la couronne rostrale, en souvenir de sa victoire à Actium. Comme sur les monnaies du premier type, Octave-Auguste est représenté tête nue sur le type II.
    Au revers le crocodile, que l'on trouve également sur un denier d'Octave à la légende AEGYPTO CAPTA, commémore l'Egypte conquise. Cependant, si le crocodile fait bien sûr référence à l'Egypte, il perpétue en même temps le motif du revers des bronzes de la République romaine, de Lyon et de Vienne. On peut dire que le navire a été "animalisé". Les dents de la mâchoire supérieure du crocodile sont représentées ici vers l'extérieur et cette mâchoire se prolonge démesurément vers le haut, sans autre raison plausible que de rappeler le rostre et la proue d'un navire.
    En plus des frappes officielles un grand nombre de monnaies de ce type ont été produites à cette période par des graveurs locaux ; le style rustique de ces imitations permet en principe de les différencier, mais ce n'est pas toujours si évident. Le poids moyen des bronzes du deuxième type est d'environ 12,20 g.

[​IMG]
    Type III - RPC 524 . 25 mm - 12,96 g

The chronology of the various issues remains subject to controversy. The initial production probably begins around 28/27 BC, the first type being replaced very quickly by a lighter bronze. The second type was probably struck in the period between 27 and 9 BC.
    The third emission then takes place around 9 BC, but it is difficult to give the extent; it may end around 3 or 2 BC.
    On the dupondius of the third type Augustus wears the civic crown (a crown of oak leaves). We may wonder, if we rely on the commonly accepted chronology, why we should wait until 9 BC so that this attribute appears on the coins of Nîmes, 18 years after Augustus was honoured, in 27 BC, for having ended the civil war.

La chronologie des différentes émissions reste sujette à controverses. La production initiale débute probablement vers 28/27 avant J.-C., le premier type étant supplanté très rapidement par un bronze plus léger. Le deuxième type a sans doute été frappé dans la période comprise entre 27 et 9 avant J.-C.
    La troisième émission prend alors la suite vers 9 avant J.-C., mais il est hasardeux d'en donner l'étendue ; elle prend fin peut-être vers 3 ou 2 avant J.-C.
    Sur le dupondius du troisième type Auguste porte la couronne civique (une couronne de feuilles de chêne). On peut se demander, si on se fie à la chronologie couramment admise, pourquoi il faut attendre 9 av. J.-C. pour que cet attribut figure sur les monnaies de Nîmes, soit 18 années après qu'Auguste en soit honoré, en 27 avant J.-C., pour avoir mis fin à la guerre civile.

[​IMG]
    Type IV (a) - RPC 525 . 26 mm - 12,88 g

The fourth type is distinguished by the addition of the letters P P on either side of the effigies, the palm leans to the left and no longer to the right as on the previous types, and the crown of Augustus is now made up of laurels.
    This fourth issue begins at the earliest in 2 BC, the date on which Augustus is awarded the title of Pater Patriae. It is however the date of 10 AD which is commonly used as the beginning of this issue. However, if we compare the first type IV coins to those of type III, we see that the differences in style are minor as well on the obverse as on the reverse. The hypothesis of a long interruption between these two issues, for obscure reasons, and of a resumption thirteen years later with an almost identical style is therefore not very plausible.

Le quatrième type se distingue par l'ajout des lettres P P de part et d'autre des effigies, la palme penche à gauche et non plus à droite comme sur les types précédents, et la couronne d'Auguste est désormais constituée de lauriers.
    Cette quatrième émission commence au plus tôt en 2 avant J.-C., date à laquelle Auguste est gratifié du titre de Père de la Patrie. C'est pourtant la date de 10 après J.-C. qui est communément retenue comme début de cette émission, avec pour argument qu'aucune monnaie de ce type ne figure dans la trouvaille de Villeneuve au Châtelet, dont l'enfouissement est daté de 9 ou 10 après J.-C. Pourtant, si on compare les premières monnaies de type IV à celles de type III, on constate que les différences de style sont infimes aussi bien à l'avers qu'au revers. L'hypothèse d'une longue interruption de la frappe entre ces deux émissions, pour des raisons d'ailleurs bien obscures, et d'une reprise treize années plus tard avec un style quasi identique est donc assez peu plausible.

[​IMG]
    Type IV (b) - RPC 525 . 25,5 mm - 12,47 g

There are two distinct phases inside the fourth type. On the coins of the second phase the portraits widen, the letters are shaper and well aligned. Most often DIVI and F are separated by a point. On the reverse, the palm is also very different from the palm of the first phase, the crown takes on a "solar" appearance and the snakes are more obvious to identify as such. The more massive crocodile has a broad snout and an oval eye. On the later bronzes, probably produced between 10 and 14 AD, the style even tends to become particularly heavy.

On remarque deux phases bien distinctes à l'intérieur du quatrième type. Sur les monnaies de la seconde phase les portraits s'élargissent, les caractères sont plus soignés et bien alignés. Le plus souvent DIVI et F sont séparés par un point. Au revers la palme et les palmettes sont également très différentes de celles de la première phase, la couronne prend un aspect "solaire" et les serpents sont plus évidents à identifier comme tels. Le crocodile, plus massif, a un museau large et un œil ovale. Sur les bronzes les plus tardifs, sans doute produits entre 10 et 14 après J.-C., le style tend même à devenir particulièrement lourd.

The bronze coinage of Nîmes has a large number of variants, for each of the main types.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  16. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

CROCODILE DISEASE: "Heh, heh, heh"... says the Croc! :D
    upload_2020-1-7_10-13-6.png
    upload_2020-1-7_10-13-43.png

18. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I'll contribute my crocodile to our group's bask. (I wonder who originally named animal groups. I'd never heard "bask" before this thread - if it were me, I'd just call everything a group and be done with it!)

COLNEM.jpg

Sulla80, Broucheion, TheRed and 20 others like this.
  19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

20. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

@Alegandron. That crocodile seems laughing indeed.

Alegandron likes this.
  21. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great coins @Alwin and thanks for showing the variations between the types with nice examples.

Draft saved Draft deleted