My new method of

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dwhiz, Nov 17, 2016.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

cracking a coin out of it's slab. I found out today it's getting harder for me to use my linesmen pliers to crack open a slab.
    yes I did put it in a Dansco. IMG_3278.JPG IMG_3277.JPG 1988 S PR 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Be careful. Those nice looking Lincoln's are a bit to close to that nail file, hammer and wood chisel. ;)

BTW: Please don't tell me you hit the slab with the hammer with the coin in it. :inpain::happy:

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A bit of pre holiday anxiety level?;)

dwhiz likes this.
  5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I find the vice method works best. Put it in edge to edge and slowly compress until you here it crack. It will break the seam cleanly all the way around.

Cascade and dwhiz like this.
  6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Wow. Way too risky. If you don't slip and hit the coin, then it can be scratched by sharp plastic debris. When you open a slab if you are cracking the faces of the slab at all, you're doing it wrong.

Just hit the corners with the ball of a pein hammer a couple times and it opens up easily.

7. dwhiz

Don't worry I was careful as those Zincoln's are safe.
    No I hit the scored the edges with my linesmen pliers the hit the chisel with the hammer with the coin in the slab.
    Much safer :rolleyes:

8. dwhiz

Great idea, the only problem is I live in a condo and don't have a work area.

9. dwhiz

Wow, I'll have to get one, Thanks

10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Works great. Back when I lived in an apartment I used to just go down to the laundry room to crack slabs like that. All you need is the hammer and a hard sturdy surface like a concrete floor. When you do it, hold the slab on the faces over the coin. Zero chance of it falling out. You're basically just breaking the seal.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Or, you know, you could just buy a raw example... they're plentiful.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for reminding me to make a teeth cleaning appointment.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Another layer of insulation is to cover the flat face of the slab with duct tape, which will go a long way towards holding any shattered slab in place. It's the same principle as cutting acrylic, flooring, formica countertop or anything else which tends to fragment.

As for me, I'll stick with my Dremel and cut only exactly what I want cut.

dwhiz likes this.
  14. dwhiz

I check out both or a couple of days and this was the best value (least expensive).

15. dwhiz

Dremel great idea I saw them on sale the other day, I'll have to check it out.
    Thanks

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The guy with the Dremel has just fessed up. All you Newbies take note...this is how you are finding all those "strange" coins out there.:vamp::vamp::vamp:

Stevearino and dwhiz like this.
  17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

A Dremel won't produce a clip good enough to fool one of us, but with the right finishing touches it'll come close. :shifty:

Evan8, dwhiz and tommyc03 like this.
  18. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Hard to replicate the Blakesley effect though

dwhiz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted