Featured My new Daniel Carr 2014 Panama Canal Centennial Medals: Shield your eyes!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Jun 9, 2014.

1. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

There's one in every crowd, right Morgandude.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Tokens and medals, by definition, are not legal-tender currency of any country. But expert numismatists still actively collect them - sometimes even paying large amounts for them.

Is a carved "hobo" nickel still legal-tender ? If a genuine 1922 Peace Silver Dollar is over-struck to change the date to "1964" (but otherwise it still looks like a Peace Dollar), is it still legal tender ?

There is a lot more to minting (designing, sculpting, engraving, blanking, & stamping) than you might think. Not just "anybody" can do it.

As for any "significant numismatic value", internet auction results don't coincide with your assessment. To you, they may have no value (that's fine - you don't have to buy any). But the results clearly show that they have some numismatic value to some people.

4. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Well I respectfully disagree and you might can buy some stuff on QVC but it will not be near the same quality. As far as no numismatic value, well those that have bought his items can look at the potential return on investment and would highly disagree. Personally I only have the 1963 Kennedy as a over-strike, but I have a few of his Ameros. To me he is an artist and I would buy from again. IMHO

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Believe I said it earlier, but I think the medals/tokens look great and I like the original designs.

6. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

...and they keep getting sold out :banghead:

7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

So does the Franklin mint, with their QVC reproductions and medallions. Sales don't always equal quality. Look at art--people often buy things that are "exclusive" rather than good.

8. Morgandude11

That is obvious on Ebay. A dealer is selling the slabbed version of the 64D Peace Dollar for $531. What people are willing to pay, and what the product is worth often have a disparity. Hey, if you like the stuff, great. If not, no problem. The production of said coinage is totally legal, and the disclaimers on Mr. Carr's website cover all legal issues of sale and resale. That isn't the issue--the issue is the genuineness based on the traditional coinage of the country in which it is being produced--anybody can legally produce their own coins, medallions, and tokens, as long as they're not represented as US currency. Whether or not it is a numismatic and artistic endeavor is another story.

9. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Anything that is offered on QVC is the exact OPPOSITE of "exclusive".

spirityoda and Chiefbullsit like this.
  10. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

>>> What people are willing to pay, and what the product is worth often have a disparity

This makes no sense to me. My definition of what something is "worth" is what people actually have been paying for the thing. No other criteria for measuring the "worth" of something is as appropriate as that.

If you look on eBay for "Carr 1964-D Peace Dollar" (or similar), you can click on the "Sold listings" button to see actual sale prices. Currently they are going for around $300 to $350. The original issue prices varied between about $120 and $170.

Up until this post, you seemed to have a certain disdain for other collectors here that like the over-strikes. But now I see that is not really the case - you apparently realize that collectors can and should make up their own minds about what they like.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    spirityoda and Chiefbullsit like this.
  11. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Morgandude isn't the only critic of D. Carr. Heck, it's a hot topic most of the time. I understand how the critics feel, but I like some of his stuff. I've probably bought 15-20 coins from him since 2010. Nice quality and very nice service and he stands behind his product. I check his website often bc if you don't you could miss the next hot "fantasy" coin.

Rock on Dan

029-tile.jpg Daniel Carr WEED $$$.jpg

spirityoda, krispy and Jwt708 like this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That Weed Money Copper is cool!

13. Morgandude11

Exactly--I think everybody should make up their own mind as to what they like. As I said previously, I may even buy one of the Peace Dollar overstrikes as a curiosity to own.

14. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Here's the antiqued brass, got it the other day.
    dcbras-horz.jpg

spirityoda, krispy, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  15. The Panama Centennial medals are starting to sell out. Both silver versions gone. Brass gone. Color-toned copper gone. Very limited mintage on these.

16. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

The first two are from B & B. The second one looks pretty cool, but not $200 cool.:eek:

17. robec

robec Junior Member

Jay always prices high, but he does accept offers. 9x issue price is a little steep.

illini420 likes this.
  18. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

19. Chief: Check your DC/MM labels. How many of those are copper vs. bronze?

20. SSG_Gonzo

SSG_Gonzo Well-Known Member

Just purchased mine today and glad I did. Of course I missed out on the cool toned one but hey if you snooze you lose. Also checked eBay and holy moly the prices are extravagant. I wonder if DC can convert my 1922 12A VAM to a 1964 12A Vam lol. Obviously it would lose its value but hey who can say they have a 1964 12A VAM :)

TopcatCoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted