Featured My new Daniel Carr 2014 Panama Canal Centennial Medals: Shield your eyes!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Very nice...time to order some more. :woot:

robec and Chiefbullsit like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Lovely stuff dear fellows, but alas, I shall not pull the trigger. Tempting, but I'm stretched a bit at the moment.

Great pics my friends. :)

4. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I wonder how many were sold due to this thread and our post?

Jwt708 likes this.
  5. Looks like there may be one left. Maybe someone had CC troubles. Let's sell it out. :D Final mintage = 81! :)

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. Gnomey

Gnomey Active Member

Do y'all anticipate these being of any significant value in 100 years? Just curious because I am unfamiliar with the market for fantasy pieces and the like.

7. I have absolutely no idea whether or not these will have "significant value" in 100 years. However, if you go on eBay and search for these items you will see that many have sold for a significant premium.

Gnomey likes this.
  8. Peter: Thank you very much for featuring this thread on the Coin Talk homepage.

As a follow-up, I had an email exchange with the artist, DC, himself this past week. He was very gracious and when I inquired he offered to sell me his last 2014 Brass color-toned Panama Canal Centennial Medal! I am not even sure these were ever offered for sale on his website. It says that 39 were produced but the site has always said N/A in the cost column:

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_medals_list.htm

As you can see from my pics below, the toning on the brass color-toned medal is more subtle than on my copper color-toned medals. It has a nice blue/green art deco pastel flavor to it, and I really like it a lot. I also feel fortunate to own this unique piece. Thanks again DC! :) Enjoy, TC

IMG_0500.JPG IMG_0501.JPG

20140617_123048687.png

gijoe76, Jwt708 and robec like this.
  9. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

wow. I'm jealous. They look fabulous. I have to look into this guy. I wonder what the story is of that defiant tower coin.

10. robec

robec Junior Member

The more colorful one of mine also says Brass. My first one, which is very subtle, says Copper.

11. Glad to hear you were able to score one of each. It must be more about the solution (or process) and less about the type of metal that determines the toning. It will be interesting to see if these continue to tone over time.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well that was very nice of him!

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I have one but mine is the plain brass one and I haven't taken a pic yet. Instead I'll post my perfect 1965 Peace Dollar, it's a beauty! Bank&Peace Dollar65 008.JPG

Attached Files:

14. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Not sure what I think about his over-strikes. Some are very nice and would easily fool the eBay community.

15. Steve Bell

Steve Bell New Member

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  16. edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  17. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, now that fakes, counterfeits, unmarked copies/replicas are once again allowed to run rampant on eBay with virtual impunity, there's really no one left to fool.

18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I a not a Daniel Carr fan. He has created a niche market of what are basically replica and fantasy coins, that are not legitimate currency issues of any country. I consider him a " fake coin" producer of expensive replicas, that do not have any significant numismatic value. Anybody can set up their own mint, and issue their own designs-- absolutely nothing special about that. Lesser mortals sell these replica coins on Q V C.

Draft saved Draft deleted