my new coin.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jpwestpoint, May 26, 2016.

1. jpwestpoint

jpwestpoint Member

Picked up this 1928 peace dollar tonight. Was looking around with a budget of about 1k, for either a morgan or one of these. I read that this were pretty low mintage. Not sure how i did. I paid $320. Should i have it graded? How much does that cost?
    Thanks. Joe.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Paul M., jester3681 and Endeavor like this.
  4. jpwestpoint

jpwestpoint Member

Thanks for the link. I read up on them before the purchase. I read mixed feelings. If i don't like it ill return it. But until i have a coin i baught from them personally, i cannot make an assumption by reading mixed reviews. Time will tell.
    Thanks for the heads up though.

Joe.

5. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I agree with @KoinJester . That coin looks cleaned. Also has a significant amount of wear and marks. That seller is also well known to sell coins overpriced. They are also well known to have photos that make the coin look much better than they really are. If this coin looks that bad in the photos I can only imagine how it will look in hand. I would request a refund immediately.

EDIT: When spending this kind of money I would advise buying graded examples.

6. jpwestpoint

jpwestpoint Member

Thanks everyone. I contacted the seller and explained i do not wish to pay for the item due to advice, and the negative feedback they have. I hope they agree. Thanks.

Joe.

7. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Before we're too quick to judge - we need better pictures from a normal camera. That coin shows no luster - and with that strike there should be some. I think the picture doesn't do it justice - or maybe too much, but it doesn't look quite accurate.

Once you get it, post more pictures. It's definitely a clean and strong strike. XF to AU quality - hopefully not cleaned (but wouldn't hold my breath).

Spend some time on photograde from PCGS and see how you think you fared.

The 1928 Philadelphia only had 360k minted - it is the lowest mintage of all peace dollars.

Honestly for Ebay, I don't think you did too bad. It wouldn't go for any less than $250 at retail and it is a strong strike. I think you will come out ok - but GSC has a reputation that precedes them.

Paul M. and jpwestpoint like this.
  8. Endeavor

No problem. They're a big seller and probably don't want to get a negative mark with eBay, so I would expect them to honor the return without fuss.

If they give you a hard time point out that the coin looks cleaned and you have other collectors that agree. Let them know that listing doesn't state cleaned. If you really want to hold their feet to the fire request that they put that in writing (although you are already covered by information disclosed on listing).

jpwestpoint likes this.
  9. Endeavor

While I agree that photos can be deceiving (for good or bad), I think it's pretty clear here that this coin was cleaned or has altered surface. Therefore it doesn't really matter how good of a strike it has. It also wouldn't matter that the wear is consistent with an XF or AU grade cause it wouldn't actually grade and get slapped with Details designation.

jpwestpoint and joecoincollect like this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Generally that would be the case, but look at their certified listings they are clear pictures that aren't blasted with a spotlight. The pictures are like that for a reason on the raw ones.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    jpwestpoint likes this.
  11. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

She screams of cleaning.

jpwestpoint likes this.
  12. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Xf details coin. I looked at NGc auction prices in recent past and you could get a similar coin in a holder, details graded, for about half what you paid. And I saw a few Au 53, clean graded, sell for less than 250. Raw coins I'd expect to do even better than these auctions, but yours was worse. A little research goes a long way

jpwestpoint likes this.
  13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You really ought to in this case, because we've been saying the same thing about this seller for ten years across all numismatic fora. They're still in business because of attitudes like yours.

14. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

The photo screams both cleaned and juiced.

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Two things to learn tonight:

1. Don't buy raw coins from this seller (and just about any other on eBay)

2. Stick with PCGS and NGC slabbed/graded coins for now.

Paul M. likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have bid on coins and then (on advice from the CoinTalk professionals:cyclops:) have told the seller that I have changed my mind (for reason) and do not wish to receive the coin. I like raw coins generally, but if you want slabbed coins, buy them slabbed, don't depend on getting them raw and then having them slabbed...a risky game.

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

A cleaned au. An overpriced problem coin too bad someone messed with the surfaces as it has a great strike

18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I would stay away from raw, key date coins for now. Learn to grade and authenticate them, and come back to it later.

For the price you paid, with a little patience, you could have easily acquired a very nice PCGS, NGC, or ANACS certified AU58 coin that would look better than a lot of MS63s. The only thing this coin has going for it is the strike.

The one thing that's pretty constant in the talk about GSC is that they're quick to give refunds, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted