My New Bust Half Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY to everyone on CT. She arrived on Friday and just had a one hour soak in acetone. What a wonderful coin and on her birthday, 1834, she was celebrating 58 years of freedom as a new nation. Now she had found a home in my Dansco 7070 and she’s still celebrating. Tomorrow she will be enjoying her 188th year and she’s just as beautiful as she was when first minted. A true sign of a strong but young nation.

In the last photo there appears to be a small area between the last and next to last star on the left side. I believe it to be a small strike through. Not distracting but a beauty mark if you will accept that term.

She is a Capped Bust Half Dollar with the Lettered Edge. These were minted from 1807 to 1836. Designed by John Reich and this design was used on other coinage as well for about 30 years. Reich was a German immigrant that became an engraver for the US Mint, serving from 1807-1817.

This coin is .8924 silver and .1076 copper. It weighs 13.48 grams and has a diameter of 32.5 mm. The edge reads “FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR”. There is a star between “DOLLAR” and “FIFTY” which occurred from 1832-1836. Vertical lines between the edge lettering is also clearly visible.

This coin is definitely an AU and still posses some of her original mint luster. There were 6,412,004 originally minted. She has the Large Date and Small Letters for her variety.
    D49C9C93-740F-450D-89F4-83A718F220F2.jpeg CF7B5802-EE1A-4FCB-87EE-6C4B2CD5A0B7.jpeg 5B5D74C5-A256-495C-AD05-6401F96C187D.jpeg

NSP, kountryken, CoinTalkJim and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

She has some wicked clashes too! And a strike though...Very sweet find... ;)

4. Collecting Nut

Yes she does. Glad you noticed. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. Paddy54

In hand can you figure out the clash ? I can definitely see them... but cannot distinguish what they are.

6. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

7. Collecting Nut

I haven’t had the time to look that closely but will do soon.

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Very very nice, I would proudly have it in one of my sets :D

Collecting Nut likes this.
  9. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Who doesn't like a nice bust?
    Gorgeous coin.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Happy for you.

11. Collecting Nut

@Paddy54 I made time to check her out more closely but I can’t see where those clashes are coming from. I did find a minor die crack but those are common. Those clashes are just not registering with me but they are easy to see.

12. Paddy54

What about a mule clash?;)

Better yet it has 1 strike though...notice the damage shield the 50 C as well the EPU and America...wamta bet it was a strike through debris and or grease, cloth , or wood... the area all links up if you study it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  13. Collecting Nut

I’ll have to check again but my eyes ain’t what they used to be. Lol

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Look at the red highlighted area, the area around the head looks like clash but has squared corners on the area....there's nothing on the coin uthat has squared devices. The straches across the shield. And lastly the 50 C all show signs of it being hit or struck through something.. I still think is a very nice specimen. 20220703_181041.jpg CF7B5802-EE1A-4FCB-87EE-6C4B2CD5A0B7.jpeg.jpg

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

16. Collecting Nut

The shield is what gets me. The higher, finer bars look like damage but there is no sign of damage on the lower wider bars. Just to the right of what appears to be damage, in the field under the wing looks like a clash. Not a strong one but it’s there. And the 50 C looks like a strike through and something is the correct word. The area by the head doesn’t match anything on the coin so I’m thing a mule clash. I just don’t know.

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow! I wasn't expecting to be bedazzled with luster when I clicked in!

18. Paddy54

Thats exactly what I believe a mule clash & strike though something.

19. Paddy54

There's a clash next to the right wing..that to looks like feathers, however all the clashes have right angle one over the left wing is 90 degrees..theres several squared clashes.

Perhasp die damage prior to usage set face down or clashed in the chamber...but nothing on the coin obv.or rev. matches if the two die hit and clashed. Im still thinking grease, cloth folded, and other's strike though....

20. Collecting Nut

Same here Paddy. Have a great fourth. :)

21. Collecting Nut

Same here Paddy. Have a great fourth. :)

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted