My new bronze babies ;)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Evan Saltis, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Here are my new ancients I bought. My second tet, and my very first sestertius! I love big chunky copper, bronze, whatever. I want it! The sestertius is nicely centered on an attractive squared flan. It caught my eye and I had to have it! Gordian III portraiture looks oddly like my 18-year-old cousin who passed away in October in a car crash nearby my college. Here are my pics of my new additions, which I find rather sexy.

[​IMG]

Claudius II (268-270 AD)
    21mm, 9.24g
    Obverse

Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Lettering: ΑΥΤ Κ ΚΛΑΥΔΙΟϹ ϹΕΒ
    Translation:
    Autokratoros Kaisaros Klaudios Sebastos
    (Emperor Cesar Claudius august)
    Reverse
    Eagle standing right, holding wreath in beak, palm branch over shoulder
    Lettering: L Β
    Translation: Year 2
    Köln 3028, Milne 4248, Dattari 5417, Emmett 3879

And the big boi!

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, 238 - 244 AD
    AE Sestertius, Rome Mint, 31mm, 20.06 grams
    Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian right.
    Reverse: LAETITIA AVG S C, Laetitia standing left holding wreath and anchor.
    RIC 300a

You guys know the deal... Share something relevant!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Very nice."

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Coincidentally my last ancient coin purchase was an AE antoninianus of Claudius II.

Claudius Gothicus Antoninianus.jpg
    Claudius II
    AE Antoninianus
    268-270 A.D.
    Obverse: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG; Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: FELICITAS AVG; Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopia.
    Diameter: 20x21mm
    Weight: 2.9g

My first Sestertius:

Marcus Aurelius, Sesterius 178 AD.JPG Marcus Aurelius, Sesterius 178 AD Reverse.JPG
    Marcus Aurelius
    AE Sestertius
    177 – 178 A.D.
    Obverse: M AVREL ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXXII, laureate head right.
    Reverse: IMP VIIII COS III PP SC, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae.
    RIC 1230

5. Evan Saltis

I almost got an antoninianus just like yours a while back. Today I was planning to look at another ancient purchase but my car broke down on I-95 and just the diagnostics is 150. I could get a real nice coin for that price :sorry:

Maine state police helped me out, and AAA got me towed. Walked 6 miles back home with a torn meniscus in the dark.

6. Evan Saltis

Thanks mammoth! :)
    [​IMG]

Theodosius and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  7. Bradley Trotter

After reading this, I suppose I should stop griping about that parking ticket I received for accidentally parking in the faculty parking lot earlier today.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wow. Nice to hear you're safe!

9. Evan Saltis

I tried hitchhiking, but I don't blame the people for not picking me up. A guy in all black walking down the street with his thumb up?

At least I tried.

Theres some more to the story, as in now I have no place to store my medicinal herbs as my school is federally funded. VIP, if you read this, don't steal my stuff!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. Evan Saltis

At least I met my fitness goal on my watch for the first time since the 'roner:D

+VGO.DVCKS and David Atherton like this.
  11. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I like the fact the Romans kept the Ptolemaic eagle on some of their Alexandrine tetradrachms. This one is from around 500 years before your Claudius II:

Ptolemy II, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AR tetradrachm
    Obv: Diademed head of Ptolemy I right, wearing aegis
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, monogram in left field, shield in front of eagle
    Mint: Alexandria
    Date: 285-246 BC
    Ref: Svoronos 574

[​IMG]

Apart from your car breaking down, I can only imagine how stress-free and easy it is to drive on I-95 up in Maine. Meanwhile, I-95 down here in South Florida...

Sorry to hear about your cousin by the way.

12. David Atherton

Last October I was in a car accident and my Jeep needed towed. The tow truck driver gave me a lift. Otherwise - 'hello, uber?' lol

+VGO.DVCKS and Evan Saltis like this.
  13. Evan Saltis

I agree about the eagle! Its very appealing.

I-95 up here kinda sucks, lots of construction right now, and we have some pretty bad roads because the freeze and thaw cycle.

Thank you for your kind words on my cousin. My aunt was obviously devastated as it is her oldest of 4 sons. Any mother would be, but he was 6 months older than me (to the day), so he was just a kiddo. He passed away near the same exit I broke down on.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2020/10/06/obituarynicholas-nick-satoshi-caron/

14. Evan Saltis

The tow driver brought me to the mechanic, but he had another call. He broke the rules to bring me, anyway, because of covid. What a nice man. I offered him a tip and he declined.

15. David Atherton

Well, in honour of your recent vehicle mishap, here is a large chunk of bronze featuring Titus in his cool ride.

V431.jpg Titus as Caesar [Vespasian]
    Æ Sestertius, 25.13g
    Rome mint, 72 AD
    Obv: T CAES VESPASIAN IMP PON TR POT COS II; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: S C in exergue; Titus stg. r., with branch and sceptre, in quadriga r.
    RIC 431 (R). BMC 636. BNC 625. Hendin 1525.
    Acquired from Wallinmynt, February 2019.

NB: Sorry to hear about your cousin.

16. Evan Saltis

I wish I had a victory so I could ride through the city like that :(

David Atherton likes this.
  17. Bradley Trotter

It's always important to keep in mind it could've been a lot worse. I have an ancient coin and car trouble story myself. The day after I bought this denarius, I totaled a relatively new Toyota RAV-4 and fractured my L1 vertebrae. The hospital would've kept me overnight, but since COVID-19 took a higher priority, I was discharged later that night. Afterwards, I ended up spending a few days in bed reading comic books and browsing Cointalk. Regardless, that experience arguably made me a better driver.

Antoninius Pius Denarius 144 AD.jpg
    Antoninus Pius
    AR Denarius
    144 A.D.
    Obverse: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III; laureate head right.
    Reverse: ANNONA AVG; Modius with four-grain ears and a poppy.
    RIC III 62a

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  18. Evan Saltis

2 1/2 years I've driven and I've never been responsible for an accident. twice I have been hit, and the other driver fled both times. Of course, both times in Lewiston, Maine, the most unsafe and most violent city in my state.

19. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Evan, Nice score on both coins :D! About a year ago I bid $80.00 on the Gordian III sestertius pictured below & won the coin :happy:. With buyers premium it came to $99.00.

Gordian III, RIC IV.III 269a.jpg
    Gordian III, AD 238-244, AE Sestertius: 31 mm, 20.63 gm, 11 h. Obverse: IMP CAES M ANT GORGIANVS AVG. Reverse: LIBERALITAS AVG II S C, Liberalitas holding cornucopia & abacus (the world's 1st adding machine). RIC IV.III 269a.

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice pick ups, @Evan Saltis .

Since the theme is AE, I will toss out my AEs

GIII
    [​IMG]
    RI Gordian III 238-244 CE AE As 25mm Hercules S-C

CIIG

[​IMG]
    RI Claudius II Gothicus CE 268-270 AE Ant 24x21mm 2.3g FORTVNA REDVX; Fortuna standing left rudder and cornucopia Z RIC 41

21. Evan Saltis

yours is nicer... and was cheaper!
    Love it!

Draft saved Draft deleted