My New Augustus..And Old One

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Michael W. Bradley, May 21, 2022.

1. Finally after long cleaning, soaking, et al and soaked in BTA for three days. My new Augustus was ready. Yea, I broke down and went and got it from "The Cove" but he came from a pedigree supposedly, a revolutionary, 1812 DAR naval officer.
    It suffered, especially on the obverse badly from bronze disease. And in one slight spot starting a patina. I thought my cleaning would bring the portrait out, but alas the damage was done. Nontheless, on the reverse, it could be clearly made out: "RUFUS". So I immediately lept to the conclusion that IT HAD to be Gaius Valgius Rufus, suffect consul and poet under Augustus, which would have put it @ 12B.C. But the numbers immediately after the name didn't make sense to me. Was it Augustus as co-consul? Wikipedia has a list of all the known Roman consuls. So before I posted and made a fool of myself, (which I am want to do), especially with all the scholars on this board, I decided to check Wildwinds. I had to look twice but found at least a close type, or it may be damage to the coin itself: "C PLOTINUS RUFUS III VIR AAAFF"; Augustus AE.As, RIC 389, Cohen 564, BMC 153 Sears. Wt: 8.45 g. DI: 27 mm. A recent coin of this type was dated 6 B.C. But under a Wikipedia article:Triumvir Monetalis, "having noticed a significant number of familial connections between moneyers and consuls of the same year". Assuming that "Rufus" was not like "Smith" or "Jones", maybe some relationship existed. [I know. I know. My photos stink. But will have to do until I can get a new phone IMG_20220519_144031.jpg 002.jpg 001.jpg

Attached Files:

Limes, Carl Wilmont and ambr0zie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..you might try using a magnifying glass with you phone...i use one with my $30 camera for coins and they come out great..you'll get the hang of it..:) IMG_0566.JPG IMG_0347.JPG

Limes, Carl Wilmont and ambr0zie like this.
  4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

My photos are still imperfect but mostly because 1. I am lazy and 2. the light in my house is not exactly suitable for photos. BUT there was a dramatic improvement last year when I bought an old digital camera. A Panasonic DMC-LZ7, 15 years old.
    Although it wasn't a high end product even when it was launched, for coin photos it is excellent.
    Rather than buying a new phone, I recommend buying an old, functional camera, you might be surprised.

Draft saved Draft deleted