My new 1938 Merc

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MercuryBen, Oct 27, 2020.

1. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

Just won this on GC. I'm $215 in. I will be cracking and submitting to PCGS in hopes of getting a FB grade. I believe I have a 50/50 shot at it.

I haven't been able to find a 38 in FB with toning I love, so it's worth taking a shot on this with since I just love the purple toning and great luster. A TrueView of my current 1938 is at the bottom. It is spectacular in hand, but just misses FB as well and it's unlikely to ever go FB.
    892883-1.jpg 892883-2.jpg Capture.JPG untitled.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

That is one beautiful Merc

spirityoda, MercuryBen and SorenCoins like this.
  4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

When I collected Mercury Dimes I was astounded by how hard it was to unload non FB coins. Your new coin has a very cool look and I really hope that PCGS gives it the FB designation. Good luck, and let us know the results when you get the coin back.

5. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

I’ve already fallen in love with your coin!

6. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

That beautiful full band fasces- why is the age-old swastika now taboo, but the fasces survives? Wonderful coin!

7. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I can think of at least one good reason; because the Nazis did not co-opt the fasces and put it on their flag and everything else, that's why.

Edit: Great dime!

9. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

That's a beauty!

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'll be curious to see the outcome after you submit it to PCGS.

11. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Well, I guess that Merc looks ok...:rolleyes: Honestly, it is a beauty and I hope it does cross over for the full bands designation at PCGS. Keep us updated!

12. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The fasces was an ancient Roman symbol. In Latin, the word is plural ("fascis" is singular and means "bundle") and means exactly what the coin shows--bundles of sticks with an axe projecting. They were carried by Roman lictors before the chief magistrates, and hence, the word became synonymous with high office, in particular, the Roman Consulate. Remember, the coin was first minted in 1916, before the word "fascism" was popular in describing the Axis regimes of WW 2.

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Great coin and lovely toning. Congrats, Ben!

MercuryBen likes this.
  14. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

EDITED

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  15. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

Dude stop being creepy. Why do you have to coopt this thread to talk about and show swastikas? It has nothing to do with the thread. Take it somewhere else.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    brg5658 and Mainebill like this.
  16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice coin they’re both nice

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pretty coin.

18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Love the color on that Merc, a real keeper!

Draft saved Draft deleted