My most expensive coin purchase

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by arnoldoe, Dec 1, 2020.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I get mine sent by priority registered post/ no description/ value. Had none go MIA. If you have a packet sent with "gold coins"/ value 4700 euros/ thats like parking a 67 corvette roadster in a shopping center parking lot/ keys in ignition. I have a buddy that I snow mobile with, he investigates "Customs" fraud. Had lot of cases where customs officers stole stuff:( or damaged contents....

Quant.Geek and DonnaML like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have had better luck with regular mail with no insurance/signature that with Registered. Getting money out of the Post Office for lost mail is like pulling teeth. Similarly, I have a camera bag that is marked as a diaper bag. Relatively fewer diaper bags get stolen. It has been over six months since my local carrier stopped getting signatures for anything. No one in charge can tell her signature on those machines from mine.

panzerman, Nvb and DonnaML like this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Serious, Serious commiserations, to @arnoldoe and everyone else. Why does this kind of thing never happen to junk?
    (Deep breaths: ) Okay, here's my worst one. COINS, FRANCE, ROBERT II, OBOLE, OBV.jpg COINS, FRANCE, ROBERT II, OBOLE, REV..jpg
    This was an obole (half denier) of Robert II Capet, Hugh's son and heir, king of France 996-1031. Coissued with a bishop, who shows up on the reverse. This was from French ebay, unattributed as the driven snow.
    For the whole High Medieval period, oboles are scarcer than deniers, sometimes by considerable margins. I have literally never seen one of Robert, except in print.
    Had to eventually spring for a denier, no better than this and at full (J. Elsen) retail, just to end up with any representation of the reign. In the meantime, I'd been in sustained correspondence with the conspicuously feckless office of a local congressman. It made it as far as New York, where, as other people here have talked about, going back a ways, it bounced between Customs and the USPS, who predictably blamed eachother. ...Anyway, I got the pictures.

panzerman and DonnaML like this.
  5. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

That's so disappointing - I'm sorry for your lost coin! Here's to hoping it surfaces somewhere and the culprit is caught (if it was deliberately stolen, which I'd almost hope for instead of it being destroyed in some mail processing equipment).

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  6. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

I also found out that it was also from the same dies as the 2nd most expensive Quadrigatus ever sold on acsearch, but was over 20x cheaper lol
    upload_2020-12-2_17-20-51.png

7. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

This is the only image of a coin that I ordered back in late June, which never arrived. It traveled from Israel to Californian, then back to NYC. Last known position, in transit August 19, then, poof! off the radar for good.

This is the coin, a tetradrachm of Vespasian, Antioch, with Titus on the reverse.

I did get a refund.

[​IMG]

I am terribly sorry that your quadrigatus disappeared in transit, a truly rare and beautiful coin, but the loss is not irreparable. You have your health and plenty of opportunities to acquire other coins.

Happy hunting!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    +VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted