Featured "My men, we have more reason for shame; saved by those sixteen brutes!"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

When Seleucus I Nikator was assassinated by Ptolemy Ceranus in 281, it nearly spelled the end of the Seleucid State. With the death of Seleucus, the majority of his army defected to Ptolemy and opportunistic powers in Asia Minor quickly took advantage of the chaos. Seleucus's son, Antiochus I, hearing of the disaster, made his way straight for Anatolia. In an ideal world Antiochus would return to Asia Minor, kill Ptolemy, and finish his father's reconquest of Macedon. However, when Antiochus reached Antioch he found the entire Syrian countryside in revolt; most importantly the main calvary garrison in Apamea Syria had defected to the rebels.

After his victory against the rebels in 275, Antiochus moved to Sardis to survey the damage. In the six years since Seleucus's murder; Ptolemy Ceranus had died in battle with the Celts, who then pillaged northern Greece and had made their way into Asia Minor. In late 275 or early 274, Antiochus decided it was time to confront the Celts in a pitched battle.

The Antonine era writer Lucian recounts the large Celtic army amassed opposite to Antiochus's forces:
    These people were good fighters, and on this occasion in great force; they were drawn up in a serried phalanx, the first rank, which consisted of steel-clad warriors, being supported by men of the ordinary heavy-armed type to the depth of four-and-twenty; twenty thousand cavalry held the flanks; and there were eighty scythed, and twice that number of ordinary war chariots ready to burst forth from the centre.
    Antiochus was allegedly filled with terror after seeing such a large army, as his own mainly consisted of light infantry and sixteen elephants hastily sent from the satrap of Bactria. The night before the battle Antiochus supposedly received a dream from Alexander the Great that told him to use the password "health" in the upcoming battle. Encouraged by his dream and by one of his generals(Theodotas of Rhodes), Antiochus pushed for battle the following morning. Theodotas advised Antiochus to hide the elephants until the Celtic chariots and horses charged their lines, then to let them loose against them. Theodotas reasoned to Antiochus, that because the Celts were new arrivals to Anatolia their horses likely hadn't become accustomed to the sight and scent of elephants.
    Lucian describes the subsequent battle in detail:
    Neither the Galatians nor their horses had ever seen an elephant, and they were so taken aback by the strange sight that, long before the beasts came to close quarters, the mere sound of their trumpeting, the sight of their gleaming tusks relieved against dark bodies, and minatory waving trunks, was enough; before they were within bow-shot, the enemy broke and ran in utter disorder; the infantry were spitted on each other's spears, and trampled by the cavalry who came scurrying on to them. The chariots, turning in like manner upon their own friends, whirled about among them by no means harmlessly; it was a Homeric scene of 'rumbling tumbling cars'; when once the horses shied at those formidable elephants, off went the drivers, and 'the lordless chariots rattled on,' their scythes maiming and carving any of their late masters whom they came within reach of; and, in that chaos, many were the victims. Next came the elephants, trampling, tossing, tearing, goring; and a very complete victory they had made of it for Antiochus.
    Antiochus and Theodotas had won a spectacular victory against the Celts, who swiftly retreated beyond Seleucid controlled territory and would never again directly threaten Seleucid authority.

As the day ended, Antiochus's men gathered around the camp and celebrated with wine and song. Antiochus's men made a wreath for the King and praised him for his victory, but Antiochus would have none of it. Antiochus, realizing that his army would have been annihilated without the elephants, stated:

"My men, we have more reason for shame; saved by those sixteen brutes! If their strangeness had not produced the panic, where should we have been?".

News of Antiochus's victory soon spread throughout the region and the greater Hellenistic world. In Ilion(Troy) the local city council praised Antiochus with an inscription:
    "Whereas King Antiochus, son of King Seleucus, when he first took over the kingship and adopted a glorious and noble policy, sought to restore the cities of the Seleukis, which were beset by difficult circumstances on account of those who were in rebellion, to peace and to their former prosperity, and, marching out against those who attacked his kingdom, as was just, (sought) to recover his ancestral empire; wherefore, embarking upon a noble and just enterprise and having not only his friends and forces eager to support him to the end in his struggle for the state but also the supernatural as a kind ally, he restored the cities to peace and his kingdom to its former condition; and now, coming to the area on this side of the Taurus (mountains) he has with all zealous concern at once established peace for the cities and brought his affairs and his kingdom to a greater and more brilliant condition, mostly thanks to his own virtue, but also thanks to the good-will of his friends and his forces...."

In honor of Ilion paying honor to Antiochus and Antiochus's elephant victory, here is a rare tetradrachm depicting Antiochus from Phocaea and a bronze piece from Troy.

7sCMaF6E4cQkSo2L9EiqwrZ53rAJN8.jpg
    SELEUCID KINGDOM. Antiochus II Theos (261-246 BC). AR tetradrachm (32mm, 16.99gm, 12h). Phocaea. Diademed head of Antiochus I right, elderly to middle ages, with full hair and aquiline nose; dotted border / BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ANT-IOXOY, Apollo seated left on omphalus, testing arrow in right hand, left hand on grounded bow to right behind; forepart of griffin left in upper, outer left field, A(PT) monogram in outer right field. SC 508. Extremely rare - no examples in sales archives. Pleasant medium gray old collection toning. Extreme high relief.

6694391.m.jpg
    Greek Troas. Ilion 301-281 BC.
    Bronze Æ 11 mm., 1,82 g Very Fine

The Seleucid Empire in 270 BCE

iu.jpeg

An artist's depiction of Seleucid war elephants engaged with a Ptolemaic phalanx.
    iu.png

Sources
    https://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/luc/wl2/wl207.htm
    http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/wars_syrian_1st.html
    http://www.columbia.edu/itc/classics/bagnall/3995/readings/b-d2-1b.htm

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great write up and nice coins!
    Antiochos II seems to have done quite some work in Asia Minor. Do you think he deserves the epithet of God?

And yes those brutes are awesome and brought the Seleukids a win quite some times, until the battle of Magnesia..

[​IMG]
    Antiochos III Megas (223 - 187 B.C.) Æ Denomination A. Uncertain military mint 73 associated with Ekbatana, circa 210 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Antiochus III right.
    Reverse: BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXΟΥ (“of King Antiochos”). Elephant advancing right; anchor to left, monogram between legs.
    Reference: SC 1275c. HGC 9, 469.
    16.28g; 25mm
    From the E.E. Clain-Stefanelli collection.

4. Magnus Maximus

Probably not, but I can think of many lesser men who had loftier titles. Cough cough "Demetrius III Theos Philopator Soter Philometor Euergetes Callinicus":smuggrin:

Pavlos likes this.
  5. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

When you are such an insignificant king, the only way to make yourself 'sound' significant is by words :rolleyes:

Same story with his brother:
    [​IMG]
    Antiochos XII Dionysos. AE, Damaskos mint, ca. 87-85 BC
    Obverse: Diademed head of Antiochos XII right
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦΙΛΟΠΑΤΟΡΟΣ ΚΑΛΛΙΝΙΚΟΥ (“of King Antiochos, the Illustrious (or referring to him being a manifestation of Dionysos), the Father-loving, the Nobly-victorious”); Apollo standing left, holding laurel branch in extended right hand between epithets and resting left elbow on tall tripod
    Reference: SC 2477
    4.21g; 19mm

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have been calling mine a tet of Antiochos I Sear 6866 (one arrow) but the fine details of arrows and monograms are muddled by wear. ex. Colosseum Coin 1987
    g92250bb0013.jpg

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Super coin and pulling together the story, @Magnus Maximus . Well done.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Thanks for a very enjoyable post - excellent coins, too.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  9. Magnus Maximus

I think you are right, the mint markings on the reverse left side, match this coin: https://www.ancientsculpturegallery.com/antiochus-i-soter-280-261-bc-silver-tetradrachm-12195.html

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised though if many Tetradrachms struck by Antiochus II were minted during the later years of Antiochus I. The two were co-rulers for about 6 or 7 years.

10. Magnus Maximus

Draft saved Draft deleted