My Masonic Penny "Moose"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Jan 7, 2022.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I’m really not sure how to classify this piece. Is it to be considered a Masonic Penny? Is it an encased coin? Is it folk art? A hockey puck? A paperweight? Perhaps, a weapon . . . . . ?

This monster measures a full 63mm in diameter and weighs in at 355 grams of solid copper. The obverse displays an encased 1940-D Lincoln Cent and is hand engraved with familiar masonic images and the names of 14 individuals.

The reverse displays a second encased Lincoln wheat cent and is blank, as is its edge. Given this copper disk is a full 10mm in diameter, it took two cents to give the effect the maker intended.

The date of the cent on the reverse is a mystery, but imagine how cool it would be if the cent on the reverse bore the initials “V.D.B.” . . . . . . ?

Other mysteries are the date of its manufacture and under which Chapter this massive disk was made. One can assume it’s creation does not pre-date 1940, but does the selection of a cent from that year bear any clues as to when it might have actually been made?

Has anyone seen anything similar or its equal?

So how would you classify this piece? Is this a “Masonic Penny”? Is it an encased cent? Is it folk art? A paperweight?
    What say you . . . . . ?

Anyway, on to the photos.

Z

IMG_3309.JPG IMG_3310.JPG IMG_3311.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Very cool piece, whatever it is.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Looks like it could have been a creative cornerstone marker for a Masonic Lodge. Maybe the cent date has significance to a Lodge number?

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Now or then? Then? Not sure. Now? A nice and pretty darn handy paper weight!!:)

CoinJockey73 and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

That would be Uber cool. There is clearly space between the Lincoln Cent on the obverse and reverse. I wonder if anything is between? A virtual time capsule?

Z

CoinJockey73, rte and masterswimmer like this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Maybe take it to a masonic lodge, and see if any of the names ring their bell. The lodge could have some neat info.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Crudely hand engraved award to someone. One of a kind. Maybe some Masonic member would pay premium bucks for it. Otherwise, just a unique paper weight.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

Odd, in a good way. I like it.

ZoidMeister and CoinJockey73 like this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Maybe an award or gift made for a member.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Or maybe Card players on Saturdays. They could be!:rolleyes:

CoinJockey73 and ZoidMeister like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted