My local coin store was robbed.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pilkenton, May 21, 2013.

1. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

No insurance? No gun on the hip? Good grief! This guy might as well of kept his doors unlocked 24/7.

4. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

It sure doesn't look like the guy was there for an hour before pulling out the shotgun. It also doesn't look like there was an opportunity for the employee to defend himself or push a panic button. Assuming the employee wasn't in on it, then I'm happy nobody was hurt and that they'll probably find the guy from the video footage.

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

BINGO!

We have a winner!

6. Silver Addict

Silver Addict New Member

Nice and also lucky. No one explained to the bad guy how shotguns actually work or the defender would be pink mist. My guess is three-fold:
    1. the robber didn't have the resolve to kill his victim
    2. the robber was high or drunk or both, thus diminishing his reflexes
    3. the gun was inoperable and/or not loaded and/or misfired due to lack of proper maintenance

Or, maybe the would-be victim is an off-duty ninja.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Guys check it again. He was there for an hour AFTER he pulled the shotgun and tied up the employees. And from the video it looks like the only "disguise" was a UPS cap, maybe a jacket. Every UPS guy I see is wearing a full brown uniform, hat, shirt and pants.

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Is this the shop Clembo works at?

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Read this line again. "Brian Hoogeveen, the son of the owner of J & J Coins, said the suspect arrived at the store about 8:10 a.m. and stayed in the store for an hour before pulling the gun."

10. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

washington state as well......owner has walked me out to my car with it before when I have spent a sufficient amount of money to warrant his concern......he seems the type to shoot first and ask questions later, wouldn't want to try to rob that place.

11. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

if you look at the video they still had the delivery boxes in their hands which I'm sure wasn't an HOUR after the guy entered the store. The first mistake I see in the video is that every inch of the windows were covered with advertising. If the windows weren't cluttered then people passing by would be able to see inside, significantly cutting down the amount of time the perp could go undetected. A second item is that if a delivery person approaches as you are about to unlock the door sign for the packages at toe sidewalk and carry them inside yourself, AFTER the delivery guy has walked away.

12. Silver Addict

Silver Addict New Member

People walking by? I don't intend offense, but you have much too much faith in other folks' situational awareness.

My solution? Buy a doberman and keep the .45 1911 concealed.

13. Pilkenton

Off topic. I always thought their stuff was overpriced. When the video showed close-ups of coins, there was a PCGS graded 1999-P Pennsylvania state quarter-MS66-priced at $11.95. Any opinions?

14. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

No, this is not the store that Clembo works in. Fwiw, the neighborhood of the store is decent, (well mixed) but several dicey hoods nearby. I've always felt secure in this area, but look over my shoulder now and then. I would be shocked if the clerks did not have access to fireams.

15. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

UPS drivers have a very strict dress code...their uniforms are inspected before they're allowed to leave in the morning..."boots"?...I don't think so.

Let's face it...either the coin store guy is a complete moron...or he's in on the heist. :thumb:

16. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

My favorite coin shop is also a gun shop... So far they have only been robbed once and that was when nobody was there for obvious reasons.

17. Pilkenton

18. Yak: The story says he FLED the scene in the Taurus. I doubt he pulled up in front of the store in that car. He knew enough to dress the part and easily gained access to a business and stayed a while...looks like he knew what he was doing. Most likely had an accomplice who dropped him off and picked him up.

19. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Nice! I figured as long as the guy wasn't from out of state there would be someone out there who knows him and is willing to give him up for $5000.

I'm not sure about Indiana, but boots are the norm for UPS drivers around here.

My first reaction when I read the headline was inside job or insurance fraud, but I think the employee was the owner's son, and they didn't have insurance. Of course he could have been in on the heist, but not likely. As for moron? Meh. Possibly. But not because the UPS imposter was wearing boots or because the employee let him in the store. Maybe the owner and the employee(s) feel safer signing for packages inside the store than they would keeping the UPS guy out on the public sidewalk while signing for packages. It appears this time that the store was empty due to the early hour, but quite often there's probably a customer or two in the store when the UPS guy shows up. Would you leave a customer unsupervised in the store while you sign for a package out on the sidewalk? I wouldn't. Maybe it is store policy to sign for them inside the store, or maybe he just did it out of habit.

Either way I think it's a little presumptuous for any of us to be judging the owner of the store based on an ASSumption that he didn't have a gun or panic buttons in the store (Tim), or that the victim was a "complete moron".

20. mmablaster

mmablaster Member

21. Pilkenton

The parking at J&J Coins is on the side. The employee that was robbed was not the owner's son. He's been there forever. I'm sure didn't have anything to do with the robbery.

Draft saved Draft deleted