My Little Pony

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Although this Antiochene issue of Trebonianus Gallus has decent artistry, I have to laugh at the comic disproportion of the emperor on the reverse and his horse! It looks like he's riding a little pony, not a mighty steed!

Post your coins with comic malproportions, coins depicting people riding horses, or anything you feel is relevant.

[​IMG]
    Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 3.82 g, 19.7 mm, 11 h.
    Antioch, second series, AD 251-252.
    Obv: IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: ADVENTVS AVG, Emperor on horseback, left, raising right hand and holding scepter.
    Refs: RIC 79; Cohen 2; RCV 9622; Hunter 56; ERIC II 44.

Cucumbor, Ajax, Ryro and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Funny. Neat looking coin.

I guess it's a bit more proportional on this Trajan Decius.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

One of my favourite reverses for Domitian.

Domitian RIC 539 new photo.jpg

Ryro, randygeki, Theodosius and 6 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Speaking of strange anatomical proportions, note the Manus Dei ("hand of God") device at 12:00 on this medieval Metz gros. Talk about some long, spidery fingers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Medieval coins often have some pretty amusing proportions. Just ask ol' BugFace here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Small hands, short forearms.

theo1.jpg

theo2.jpg

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A cartoonish horse. (And that obverse! Wacky.)

[​IMG]
    CELTIC, Central Europe (Rhineland). "Dancing Mannikin" type
    65 BCE - CE 1

AR Quinarius, 13 mm, 1.62 gm
    Obv: dancing mannikin right, head turned left, holding snake in right hand, torque in left hand.
    Rev: horse standing right, head turned left; around, zig zag border.
    Ref: SLM 1118. Dembski 73, 396.

My Little Ponies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Elagabalus
    AR denarius, 19.4 mm, 3.5 gm
    Antioch, 218-219 CE
    Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS FEL AVG, Laureate draped cuirassed bust right
    Rev: SANCT DEO SOLI / ELAGABAL, Quadriga right, bearing sacred Baetyl stone, flanked by four parasols
    Ref: RIC IV 195
    Vauctions 310, lot 250 (25 Sept 2014)
    ex CNG Mail Bid Sale 33, lot 914 (15 March 1995)
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-a-boy-and-his-stone.254886/

Certain tetrarchal coins depict the emperor as an achondroplastic dwarf (big head and torso, tiny limbs). The coin below isn't mine but the photoshopping is :D. It's an ex Stevex6. Did anyone here buy it?

CT-SteveX6-MaximianusKFC.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Cucumbor, Nathan401, Ryro and 14 others like this.
  8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ryro, lordmarcovan, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Ancient Roman horses were far smaller than most breeds of horses you see today. Remember that back then they did not use stirrups. Horses have to be small enough for a rider to securely grip himself around the horse using nothing but the pressure of his knees and thighs to keep himself secured to the horse. Also, without stirrups the horse couldn't be too large for another reason... you can't even mount the horse in the first place.

Every time you see a reenactment or a movie or show, and the riders are riding massive Iberian stallions or other large breeds, you are seeing a distortion of history and getting the wrong impression.

Here's a museum exhibit that accurately reflects the size of Roman horses, which we know well from finding bones, and also from mosaics and other ancient art.

2634.jpg.jpg

and here's a horse from a Roman mosaic next to a person. Granted, this was a special breed for chariot racing and would have been a bit smaller and lighter than a calvary horse, but it's still a helpful illustration.

charioteerred3.jpg

And look closely at Marcus Aurelius' statue. As an imperial horse I'd imagine it would have been one of the finest and largest specimens that the empire had to offer. Even then, you can see the horse is quite small relative to the rider by our modern standards.

MarcusMed.jpg

Also, there is a research published by Dr. Kyra Lyublyanovic titled "Size Variability In Roman Period Horses from Hungary", produced in 2002 for the 9th Conference of International Archaezoologists, that found that the average Roman war horse in Hungary during the times of the empire was around 14.4 hands in height, which is basically around the dividing line between a pony and a small horse.

Quite simply, horses did not start to be bread for large size until stirrups became commonplace in Europe. After all, why breed a huge horse that's so massive you won't be able to ride him securely by using the pressure of your knees and thighs to keep yourself upright? Horses of similar sizes to what we see today did not first appear until around 800 or 900 years ago.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Excellent research and pictures!
    Live and learn.

11. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I was about to write about the same thing. That apparently midget horse on the coin was not that far off in proper proportion to the rider. Sallent is right on, with examples to boot, about the smaller size of ancient horse. One other matter on ancient times cavalry. Look for the position of the troopers lance (lancea). In the Middle Ages, with stirrups, the rider could couch the weapon under his arm but in ancient times the weapon was held just above the shoulder and thrust downward at the enemy. On some occasions the lance was held lower to jab on a level with the riders hand but without the stirrups the couching under the arm was rarely observed. For anyone interested more on Roman Cavalry, from breeds of horses to equine weaponry, may I recommend the book, The Roman Cavalry by Karen R. Dixon and Pat Southern, 1992 B.T. Batsford Lid, London. From pp. 39-51 the authors write of the cavalry lance (even the two handed contus) with illustrations from tombstones showing troopers on their horses employing their weapons from horseback. Now go check your coins for any images of horsemen with lances and see how they are pictured.

Roman Collector, Puckles and Sallent like this.
  12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow!! That's fascinating and educational! I had no idea!

13. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Here's my little pony - Carthaginian fifth stater.

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

Alegandron, chrsmat71, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

15. lordmarcovan

Well now, that's interesting. Thanks.

In a similar vein, I remember hearing in an ancient history podcast that the lions shown in ancient Near Eastern art were a smaller, now-extinct species.

So the coin in the OP might not have looked quite so odd nor so disproportionate to someone in ancient times. Fascinating.

16. lordmarcovan

So I guess the bigger horses started to be bred more often in the Late Middle Ages when you had heavily armored knights in full plate armor, then?

[​IMG]

17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I believe the use of stirrups by the Romans came by contact with the Sarmatians and/or Avars. By the time of Basil I stirrups are depicted in Byzantine art. I would suspect that by the time of Maurice Tiberius and his Strategikon that the use of stirrups had been adopted. Other Avar innovations were also accepted into the Byzantine cavalry, such as types of spears/lances and bows, where the first priority of the Byzantine cavalry was to field mounted archers of high quality, as well as cataphractoi or heavy cavalry adopted from the Persians.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Don't get much better than a horse with an "ox head". And that's just what they called Alexander the great's horse, Bucephalus:

2DBDC387-B0BB-4863-B944-040FCA7F4B50.png

Of course Philip II's horse won the Olympics the year Alexander was born (a hilariously big horse for the time)!

AF95A85B-3200-44A1-A2CD-C170669639CE.png

Or this Greeks head is twice the size of his horse. Guy loved his horse so much he shared the obverese with it and kicked his old lady to the reverse!

E3F9E996-8244-4C9A-9401-A85EBEE97B52.png

Snakes riding horses would be a pretty rare sight... Unless you'rer here on coin talk:
    D1E1F5C4-C18A-4EFC-9F0B-649C4E8B4350.png

19. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I don't own one of these coins and don't know whether I can post an image from someone else, but if one wants to see how a Roman handled a lance on horseback, take a look at a denarius of Caracalla, RIC 108, C.510 BM 574

20. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Well, I do have a coin with spearmen on horseback

M. Jumius Silanus denarius (1).jpg

21. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Well, these guys look fishy:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-u660ETuLvs.jpg
    13th century immitation of Venetian Grosso by Stefan Uroš II (1253 – 1321)
    Reverse: Christ enthroned, holding Book of Gospels, lilies on each side. Latin legend IC-XC ("Jesus Christ")
    Obverse: King receiving banner from St. Stephen, holding scrolls with his left hand, Latin legend: VROSIUS REX S STEFAN ("Uros King, St.Stephen")
    Reference: Maric 1956 T XIII 17, Jov 7-13, J 25, LJ (VI-12), I (3.3)
    Comment: Milutin was born in 1253, took over Kingdom from his brother Dragutin and ruled for 39 years. After having brain stroke he died on October 29th 1321. He was buried in his Memorial in Banjska in order that his remains should be transferred to Trepca. They were taken to Sofia capital of Bulgaria, to the church " The holy king", around 1460, where they were being kept till the present day.

I have this association...
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted