My latest world silver crown - cleaned ?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by doppeltaler, Feb 20, 2017.

1. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

I have been fascinated with the reverse design of the Romanian 5 L. I had 2 of them with worn out reverse in the past that I sold recently. Then I saw this one on recent Goldberg sale and thought it is the most attractive reverse I have ever seen. Perhaps it is the photography but I wanted that and it wasn't that expensive. However it was graded AU details - surface hairlines. The description mentioned the strike is sharp. I am yet to receive the coin but costing days to see it in hand.
    What do you think about the hair lines? To me it doesn't look like cleaned with usual parallel hairlines. Perhaps it is dipped ? Although I see little scratches on fields.

5-lei-obv.jpg

5-lei-rev.jpg

Description:

Romania. 5 Lei, 1883-B. Dav-274; KM-17.1. Charles I, As King, 1866-1914. Sharply struck. Toned. NGC graded About Uncirculated, Details (Surface Hairlines).Estimate Value $100 - 125

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Looks as if the 3 has a repunch or something else going on.

4. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

It looks to me like it may have been cleaned a long time ago. I think it'll be easier to tell in hand.

5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The letters appear to have a slightly darker halo around them. I agree that it likely had an old cleaning.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's pretty common for hairlines to be very difficult to see in pictures, especially on business strikes. Sometimes they can even be difficult to see in hand unless you tilt the coin just right under the light.

The scratches in the fields you mention, I'm reasonably certain that's not what they are referring to when they say hairlines. Nor do I think that coin has been dipped.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree with the other comments as to being cleaned and the difficulty in seeing hairlines. The large photo really shows the bag/contact marks. I wouldn't pay a premium for it, but it looks like a nice coin.

8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

It's 134 years old, so yeah, it's probably been cleaned, dipped, whatever. Do you care? I wouldn't. It's a lovely design and I wish it were in my crown collection. Congrats on a great buy.

afantiques and serafino like this.
  9. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

Thanks, yes irrespective of the detailed condition I like the coin. Let me look carefully when I get it in hand and report back. Thanks everyone.

On a side note I wonder if TPGs keep a detailed description as to why they mark a certain coin detailed. Example - ex.mount , will they keep an entry saying where the mount was ?

10. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Great coin, and I agree the reverse is very detailed

11. sidney toh

sidney toh Member

The coin does seems to have been previously cleaned. As to the scratches, they look like bag marks to me rather to hairline scratches. You'll definitely need to see it close-up in your hands once you receive the coin.
    All in all, it's a great coin. Love it!

12. Alok Verma

Alok Verma Explorer

Really a very nice coin.I like it very much.

Draft saved Draft deleted