My latest purchase

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by satootoko, Mar 11, 2007.

1. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Visited a local coin show recommended by a forum member today, and picked up several additions to my modern Japanese collection. The prize was this AU/Unc 50 sen from Meiji 3 (1870), the first year of modern milled Japanese coinage. Although my scanner hasn't picked it up, it has a nice lusterous surface and a superb strike with just a hint of tarnish, and no clear evidence of cleaning (although there are scattered hairlines on some of the fields).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

If you look closely at the denomination you can see a small thin die crack extending from the left side of the 10 character (the one that looks like a plus sign) through the crossbar and over to the center horizontal line of the 5 character. The Japanese Mint's quality control, from the very beginning, is known for its excellence, and releasing coins with die cracks or errors is much less common than is occurring with the DeadPrez dollars today. ;)

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Roy,that is a very nice Japanese silver 50 Sen.These coins are not common at all,by a long shot.The uncountermarked silver 1 Yen coins are also very uncommon as well.

Aidan.

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Perhaps they are in New Zealand, but availability there is hardly a true measure of whats going on in the rest of the world.

In the US coins with the "Gin" countermark are relatively rarer than chopmarked coins, and much scarcer than coins with neither.

At the Osaka Coin Show a few years ago the mix seemed similar to what I have seen at US shows, with perhaps a slightly smaller percentage of chopped coins, but not many countermaked at Osaka and hardly any countermarked at Tokyo..

5. jody526

jody526 New Member

Impressive, Roy.

Truly a coin that anyone would be proud to own.

Thanks for taking the time to share your prize with us.

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Congradulations Roy! I haven't had much sucess with my Japanese coin typeset because of the mad prices these recent years. However I picked up this damaged coin related to Japanese coinage - Korean Protectrate under Japan:

[​IMG]

If it weren't for that damage, it would easily be a 3 figure coin.

7. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

Congratlations, Roy! on this nice addition in your collection.

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Roy nice looking coin you have there :)

De Orc

9. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Gxseries,that is a very nice example of a Korean 1/2 Won.We see the 5 Fun & 1/4 Yang coins over here,but I did have a 1/2 Chon that was issued during the reign of the last Emperor of Korea (1907-10) in my collection of non-British Commonwealth coins,which I am in the process of offloading.

Aidan.

10. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Very Nice Roy:thumb:
    Is numismatics/coin collecting very popular in Japan?

11. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Indeed it is. Many fine coin shops, and the Japanese Numismatics Dealers Association annually publishes a wonderful catalog of Japanese coins, going back over a thousand years. I've even found coins for sale in hotel gift shops. :D

12. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

silvereagle82 - it is VERY popular for elites in Japan, especially Meiji gold coins. PRICEY I tell you!!! http://www.coinvault.com/japan.htm

Last two years ago when the Japanese government released some gold coins from it's vault to reduce it's national debt, there were some ultra rare coins, you are talking about RARE mintage or some that NEVER made it into circulation. Plenty of mad bidders. http://www.technoclicks.com/article-1449.php

13. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I forgot to mention that cheap copies, replicas, models, etc of kobans are available throughout Japan especially tourist spots. You can never miss it.

It's said to be that if you keep a koban in your wallet, your money will increase over time. Interestingly enough, I do have one in my other wallet - it did "seem" to work at one stage.

14. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Thanks for sharing your new coin.

My only Japanese coin is a 1935 (my birth year) 50 Sen piece. Unc.

Clinker

15. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

That´s a great find, Roy, thanks for showing it. I think I may even know which coin shop it was...

Draft saved Draft deleted