My latest just arrived...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Golden age

Golden age Go for the gold

Hi, can you give us a date for when your pl restrike will be available for purchase ? Thanks.

Johndoe2000$ and Morgandude11 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

By early next week, I think.

4. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

6 months house arrest + federal felony conviction + 3 years probation and only because the judge considered the specific facts of his case and thought the sentencing guidelines were too harsh. The judge let him off of probation after 1 year upon the granting of the defendant's motion. The judge's rationale was more or less that he wasn't trying to counterfeit or break the law, but did what he did for political/philosophical reasons.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    green18 likes this.
  5. Coinchemistry 2012

That's interesting because some of the same arguments/type of arguments made are similar to the ones that you make all the time like no intent to defraud, no similarity, no one would be confused, etc.

P.S. I agree with you that the Von Nothaus court took the law a little too far. Ditto for Delmarco. Nevertheless, there are clear violations and when there are only minimal differences (like changing a date), I agree with the two courts that both the HPA and title 18 statutes come into play.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  6. Golden age

Excellent, thanks.

Johndoe2000$ and Santinidollar like this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I will be tempted.

Golden age likes this.
  8. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

No, there are significant differences in the "arguments".

Von NotHaus:
    Attempted to convince merchants to accept Liberty Dollars as legal tender and/or claiming that they were better than legal tender. This amounted to "uttering" which, arguably, is a form of fraudulent intent.

National Collectors Mint:
    Engaged in highly misleading marketing for the "Freedom Tower Silver Dollar" stating that it was a government-issue dollar and implying that it was solid silver recovered from the WTC site. It was actually neither.

So both of the above clearly involved an intentional misrepresentation of the item.
    And neither of the above was an over-strike (alteration) to existing genuine coins.

Paul M. and Golden age like this.
  9. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Sorry, not much chance of that ;)
    I would not over-strike any 1895 Morgan, nor would I over-strike any Morgan AS an "1895".

Cascade and Golden age like this.
  10. robec

robec Junior Member

I guess I should have used an emoji. I really didn't think anyone would think for a minute I was being serious.:muted:

11. Coinchemistry 2012

But again, you are cherry picking the record and not telling the full story. Von Nothaus was convicted of uttering, but he was also convicted of designing and producing the coins which are separate offenses even under the same statute. That is clear legally. The court then analyzed his arguments under the production/design portion of the statute and rejected arguments that are on par with your arguments especially regarding intent and the items not looking like genuine issues.

As for Delmarco, again, yes, they did other stuff, but it wasn't the only violation in the proceeding. If you look at that decision, the court specifically addressed your design for the coin and found that the design itself was a violation of the HPA.

Overstriking a coin doesn't meaningfully distinguish Delmarco either as the plain meaning of the language of the HPA and the relevant Code of Federal Regulations sections unequivocally provide that alterations of this nature are also imitation numismatic items so as to invoke the marking requirement, and then there is the case law that you ignore that says that overstriking genuine coins is not enough to remove the resulting pieces from the counterfeiting statutes IF the remainder of the elements of the offense are there. You can argue about the other elements all you want, but overstriking a genuine coin itself does not in and of itself render the resulting coin legitimate and not-counterfeit.

Edit:
    Wait a minute... How did I end up being baited into responding to your works again in this thread? I was trying to be nice to the OP, but cannot allow you to spread misinformation.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

How can a design, on its own, violate the HPA? So, if I say drew that design in a sketch book it would violate the HPA?

13. Golden age

You can't allow? Are you legally bound ? Lol. (I'm guessing you feel moraly bound) You are correct though, I think that this thread is about how nice these RESTRIKES are, and not another legality thread.

Johndoe2000$ and Cascade like this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I have a novel idea, why doesn't someone create a legality thread or whatever they want to call it like the NGC boards did and then we can keep all of this to that thread and just let people have their threads sharing their new purchase without the same song and dance every-time.

Cascade likes this.
  15. Coinchemistry 2012

Or Dan's supporters can stop spreading mistruths about the law, and then there won't need to be a discussion about legality at all. The subject matter was raised by one of his supporters IIRC.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You could try but I doubt it work, never has before anyway - regarding any subject.

Ya see, nobody "owns" the threads, not the OP and not any responder. And we only loosely, stress loosely, regulate staying on topic. So as long as responses are within the rules, and even remotely related to the topic of the thread, then all responses are permitted.

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah, we all get that. That ridiculous Grease error thread by USMC60 is testament that any amount of crazy is tolerated as long as the outdated rules here are strictly adheared to.

Kentucky likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well ya know that's the great thing about internet forums, when ya don't like those pesky "outdated rules" of one place, you can always go start your own forum and have the rules be whatever you want them to be :)

Of course that's thing about rules, no matter what they are or where they apply. People always like them just fine as long as they are "going their way". But when they don't "go their way", that's when all the complaints about the "rules" start.

19. Proof Morgan overstrikes now available! I predict a sell out by end of day. Act fast. TC

Johndoe2000$ and Dougmeister like this.
  20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just orderd mine :)

21. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted