My latest Daniel Carr fantasy issue.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I won't get into any specific statements so as to prevent this thread from being locked, but if the statements were true, then how is it a violation of forum rules? I opined that his pieces violated the civil HPA and possibly Title 18 statutes.

I was correct in what I said. Would you rather I lie and continue to let him spout misinformation concerning the HPA which has been interpreted to apply to "fantasy coins" with fantasy dates that were supposedly never issued? Also, the HPA applies to altered original numismatic items made to look like different numismatic items (i.e. other than the one being altered). The overstrike argument is bunk.

As for your comment regarding the right to use various adjectives, as long as the statements are true or based on reasonable facts/opinion, then the First Amendment protects my right to criticize what I believe is an illicit enterprise.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I dealt with the laws of libel and slander professionally for 45 years. I really don't want to get into a debate and won't, but if you were to consult a defamation attorney, I think you would find yourself on much shakier ground than you believe.

Andy Herkimer, Cascade and Paul M. like this.
  4. Coinchemistry 2012

Then you should know that: (1) truth is a good and absolute defense; (2) the statements in question were marked as opinion; and (3) Carr has elevated himself to the level of a public figure in numismatics and the standards are higher - without actual malice there is no case.

I will not let an individual hide (not you) behind libel/slander laws to quell legitimate dissent of his practices. If it turns into a lawsuit, I am well prepared to defend myself to the fullest extent of the law including filing counter litigation if necessary.

5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Are you an attorney? If not, I don't think you would have the expertise to speak to the legality. My thread is about the appreciation of my acquisition, and I do not wish to go off into accusations. Let's keep the discussion about coins, please-- not legalistic.

Santinidollar likes this.
  6. Andy Herkimer

Andy Herkimer Active Member

I agree. Spirited debate is always welcome, opposing views are importaint to contemplate and learn from. However to attack other members or accuse people of fraud is a step too far.

At the end of the day we are all bound by our enthusiasm and love of the hobby.

C-B-D likes this.
  7. Coinchemistry 2012

(1) I will respect the OP's wish and refrain from an analysis of his works in this thread (and in responding to the other poster I initially did in this thread).

(2) No one accused DCarr of fraud. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

C-B-D likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would bet it was the name calling.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

LOL this is pretty funny. Reminds me of today's colleges where people get triggered over little things. DC should become a meme over the hate.

NSP and Paul M. like this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

11. hotwheelsearl

C-B-D likes this.
  12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@hotwheelsearl made a comment about millenials who seemingly always have "triggers" and feel "unsafe" when they face something they disagree with... because they don't know how to handle a differing viewpoint or stressful situation. I'm making fun of myself, basically.

Andy Herkimer and Paul M. like this.
  14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oh. I missed that comment. Makes sense now. I hate the entire concept of safe spaces. Adversity is a catalyst of growth

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

My wife works with college kids. Last year she had one who would hide under her desk. For HOURS.

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

SMF

C-B-D likes this.
  17. Santinidollar

Oh da poor widdle dahlings need their safe space. Imagine if we have to ever depend upon them in time of war. They'll mess their pants trying to be the first one to surrender.

18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

They won't wear their helmets because their top-knot gets in the way.

19. Santinidollar

Edited

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  20. Coinchemistry 2012

It sounds like her student needs a consultation with a psychiatrist.

21. hotwheelsearl

Whoa Coinchemistry, that's a really microaggressive statement. Make sure to issue a trigger warning before posting next time so I have time to find myself a safe space :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted