My Latest Coin Acquisitions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kanga, Mar 28, 2015.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I went to the Balto Whitman Show yesterday and had VERY good hunting.
    (There's been more than one time that I've gone home empty handed.)

1842 Braided Hair Large Cent , Small Date, N-2 (NGC AU-55 BN)
    Last one I need for my Red Book, Braided Hair Large Cent set.
    Slight die rotation (~30°).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1795 Draped Bust Dollar (PCGS VF-30)
    This fills one more hole in my Type Set.
    If there is a die variety associated with this coin I'd appreciate someone ID'ing it for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dlhill132, rzage, dwhiz and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Absolutely beautiful coins!!! That Flowing hair dollar would have busted my budget for at least 6-12 months!! CONGRATS!!!

kazuma78, Paul M. and spirityoda like this.
  5. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Lovely coins. I really like the large cent. The flowing hair half is a beauty too. I'll be looking for an 1812 cent today when I go to the Baltimore Whitman coin show. Hopefully I can find some "12" coins that have been eluding me.

6. Mikey Zee

Oops, Draped Bust Half--- still a goof on my part since I meant draped Bust Dollar LOL ---still way out of my budget as the Heritage type example i attached easily suggests....WELL INTO 6 FIGURES...Hmmm, no 1/2 mark...now I'm really confused LOL

Attached Files:

7. WDF

WDF Its all about history

Good eye appeal on the "42", large cents are my favorite.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

OK, here's what befuddles me.

I've got the Overton out to try and attribute your '95 draped Kanga, and I can't find one obverse that contains the ribbon at the back of Libertys' head (hair). The '96, yes, but none of the '95's in my book. This looks like a job for @Treashunt or @Jim M or @rzage .........

Nice coins brother. :)

9. Mikey Zee

Anyway here's my much more modest budget examples that i recently purchased in my attempt to compile a decent 'Type Collection'.....no dollars yet---even get out-bid on budget types...

Attached Files:

10. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

Nice pickups!

11. Mikey Zee

aubade, you gotta love your avatar!! It cracks me up every time I see it...I keep hearing... HERE'S JOHNNY!!! LOL

Thanks for the kind comments too.

12. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Looks like a B-15 to me. I can very faintly make out the die crack over the R and running to the tops of the ICA in the Pic. Kanga, can you verify with it in hand? Really nice pickup Kanga.. Both of them! Somebody broke the cookie jar this morning before they went shopping. : )

rzage and green18 like this.
  13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I looked at that area with my 9x loupe; I can't see any die crack.
    BUT
    An owner's label on the back has among other cryptic markings a "B·15".
    So I suspect your identification is correct but the die crack diagnostic may have been eliminated by wear.

Please give me the name of the reference used to ID die pair.
    It would be particularly useful if that reference included the 1795 Flowing Hair design.
    I have two of them but not as good as this one.

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

With the 1795 draped bust dollars, there are 2 kinds: off center bust, or centered bust. This one is B15 (centered bust), or BB52 depending on which system you prefer. The topmost hair curl is under the E of LIBERTY, and the lowermost curl is close to the 1 of the date.

rzage and Paul M. like this.
  15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

2 great pick ups , I really like them both I'm glad Jim and Doc ID'd it for you as I don't know dollars like they do .

16. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Thanks to all who looked.
    Happiness is when everyone likes what you bought.

And particularly to KS and Jim who took the time to ID the dollar.
    Plus added some of the diagnostics.

As for the large cent, you may have noticed that I refer to the set as a Red Book set.
    That's because I use the Red Book to guide me to what is a "complete" set.

Sometimes after that I'll get the definitive book(s) and try for a "total variety" set.
    -- I've got Grellman's book on the Braided Hair Large Cents but decided a "total variety" set is too much.
    -- I've got Snow's guide to FE's and IHC's but from what I understand that's a moving target; new varieties keep showing up but there is apparently no updating procedure for the guide (except buy a new one).
    -- I've got the Logan/McCloskey book on Federal Half Dimes plus the older Valentine's book; for a while I was working on the Capped Bust issue (1829-1837) and am 55-60% complete but the effort got put on the back burner when I started my big push for my type set.

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Huh?

I think the pictures are out of order.

Did you really get a '97 $1/2?

Wow and congrats.

18. Treashunt

And is the 1795 a $?

19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

The label says it is.
    The size is correct.
    Best Guess: If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's most likely a duck.

20. Mikey Zee

I don't see it now, but I could have sworn I later saw a Bust Half ID on the 1795 when I had already immediately took it for a dollar type similar to two budget examples I was trying to win on bid---a flowing hair and a bust....

Now, I see it is (or always has been) id'ed as a dollar....A 'Draped Bust dollar'

Of course, in hand , especially certified, it's easy to determine the actual type, if not the variety(ies)...I guess I was having eye issues or a 'senior moment' LOL

Sorry to confuse everyone

And they both are spectacular kanga!!!!

21. Treashunt

only asked because it was mixed in with the $1/2

Draft saved Draft deleted