My latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by dave_in_delaware, Nov 5, 2016.

1. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

I made a point to visit my local(ish) estate cleanout thrift store this morning to see if they still had the three bags/containers of miscellaneous world coins for sale. It's been about a month since I first saw them, and I finally decided to not miss out today....

I spent 5 minutes looking the bags over, trying to see what sort of coins were in the bags. I saw some German stuff, and a red-tinted coin in another, and one had a hole in the center of it... They all interested me, and I couldn't decide which bag to get. I also spent another 5 minutes looking at all the US silver proof sets they had in the display case as well as a few small US State Quarter proof sets on top of the case (which I got permission to open to peek inside).

So, today I purchased the following items:

1 bag of 51 foreign coins
    1 bag of 51 foreign coins (yes a second bag)
    1 plastic case of 15 foreign coins
    1 "Tetradrachm of Nero" coin
    1 box US Mint Proof set 2001 State Quarters

The interesting thing about the State Quarter proof sets they had was that the other Proof Sets were priced $1 less than the box I got (which was bigger). I went with the 2001 box because it contained the 2002 Proof Set as well (not sure if that's normal or not).

I also asked if they'd take a little less for multiple items. So I got a "multiple items discount" on all the world coin items ($1 off sticker price).

So I got all of these coins for $20. Hopefully that was a good deal for my first ever actual coin purchase.

Now, time to photograph and catalog them....

Thanks for reading/looking.

Attached Files:

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Excellent! :wideyed:

dave_in_delaware likes this.
  4. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I'd say a very nice haul.
    Steve

5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Great results!

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Not bad for a first ever purchase. I've made many more worse purchases. I look forward to hearing what you found in your world coin bags.

7. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Only 20 bucks?

Yeah, figure out those World Coins. I'd be cool to see the whole "spill" in a photo...

8. dave_in_delaware

Thanks everyone! Yes, only $20 for the whole deal. I was hoping I didn't overpay on my first purchase.

I have only cataloged the smaller plastic case so far. The other two bags will be started later today. But so far, I've added 5 new countries to my collection.

I took "dump photos" of each bag/case. I didn't do an overall dump of everything because I'm trying to keep them separated by bag/case for now just for my own peace-of-mind until everything is cataloged. Photos of each "dump" is attached.

Attached Files:

mlov43 likes this.
  9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

What are the dates on the coin with the flying crane and the other one, with the pagoda on it?

10. dave_in_delaware

The flying crane coin is a 500 something from 1984.

The pagoda is 10 something from 1970.

Boy, I wish I had the correct font installed on my computer (or whatever I need to do) so I could know what the symbols say on Numista.com. When on Numista there is a language page that lets me install fonts based on symbols, but when I click on it, it never does anything. Will have to try on a different computer.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

You've got at least one silver in the third pile - the 1958 Guatemalan coin. Is it a 25 centavos?

If so, that coin is worth $3.51 in silver content alone. Random world coin groups are always fun.

12. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

These are South Korean coins. 10 Won and 500 Won. The 1970 10 Won is a key date. Take a look at my page on South Korean coins to get more information about these: http://www.dokdo-research.com/koreancoins.html

13. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Yes. You did fine.

I especially admire how you asked for a discount as you won't usually receive one without asking.

I love buying little lots like these. You never know what you may find. with a little research.

14. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

These, along with several early Canada cents I posted elsewhere, along with many others came out of an antique store in a zip lock bag. The label said "foreign coins, don't open." $10 bucks. 20161107_163717-1.jpg 20161107_163728-1.jpg 20161107_163744-2.jpg 20161107_163808-1.jpg

J.A.K. and dave_in_delaware like this.
  15. Nathan401

16. Nathan401

17. dave_in_delaware

Yes, yes it is. According to Numista it's .720 silver. That's cool.

I'll have to do some reading on that. Thank you.

18. dave_in_delaware

Thanks for posting the photos, Nathan401. I have a few of those coins as well. I'll post some of my coins after I get them all cataloged.

19. Nathan401

I thought I was posting in a general post your world coins thread. Apologies for accidentally hijacking this one.

20. dave_in_delaware

21. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

This one 'paid' for the entire purchase. You got the rest almost for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted